Need some travel insurance help pretty please!

ktinnc

So I booked a cruise the other day - the first in over 10 years that I have paid for/made the arrangements for :) The other times I've cruised I've never gotten insurance (didn't know any better and thank goodness we never needed it)....but this time...it's flying to San Juan and it's in September (aka hurricane season) so I just want to cover our booties. So help - where's the best place to buy travel insurance from for the money? We are a couple in our 30s in good health...I'd like to buy the "for any reason" insurance too but it will depend on cost. From what I've read you need to get the insurance w/in 14 days of booking your trip to get the most benefits. Sooo any help would be much appreciated!! :) :)

I researched a lot when we booked and I chose Travel Guard Gold, more coverage for less money than Carnivals and we got the any reason coverage, all told this is about a 5000 vacation for our family of five and it was worth it to me. Their website was clear and easy to navigate and all docs were in my email box in minutes.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There is a website where you can compare travel insurances - just do a web search - probably the most popular travel insurance is travel guard. I am sure you will get lots of good tips before long on this thread.

I always just buy the Carnival travel insurance - but there are better deals out there.

Thank u for your responses so far..i'm definitely going to do some research this weekend get something bought next week (so we're still within our 14 days). I'm clueless about it so it's nice to know I can come here and ask others what their experiences are :)

USAA would be my first choice (if you are eligible )

CSA would be my second choice.....

Also remember that Carnival's Insurance policy offers a "cancel for any reason" for free but YOU DO NOT GET YOUR MONEY BACK...you get 75% back in a future cruise credit....

but most companies charge double for the "cancel for any reason"......

We always buy our insurance through http://www.insuremytrip.com

You can put in the information you want to include in the insurance and they will compare companies....always go with at least an A rated company (some are A-, but I wouldn't go lower).

We've only had to use it once (purchased ten times) and it was to cover a medical emergency, but it paid and was very easy to collect. Don't remember which company it was. Sorry!

Good luck and have a great cruise!

We used Travel Guard Gold for our cruise last December. It's great because kids under 18 get free coverage with a paying adult.

For my cruise coming up in May I went with InsureAssist TravCan Premier since it's just me and my mom - no kids. It offers the best coverage IMHO and is very reasonably priced. Especially for my mom since she's older.

So I booked a cruise the other day - the first in over 10 years that I have paid for/made the arrangements for :) The other times I've cruised I've never gotten insurance (didn't know any better and thank goodness we never needed it)....but this time...it's flying to San Juan and it's in September (aka hurricane season) so I just want to cover our booties. So help - where's the best place to buy travel insurance from for the money? We are a couple in our 30s in good health...I'd like to buy the "for any reason" insurance too but it will depend on cost. From what I've read you need to get the insurance w/in 14 days of booking your trip to get the most benefits. Sooo any help would be much appreciated!! :) :)

Go to insure my trip dot com. You can compare all insurance companies. I use them all the time. One year I picked CSA another Travel Guard.

another question - if i haven't bought the airline tickets yet - how do i know how much to insure the total trip cost for??

If you purchase the insurance based on the cost of the cruise and then you later buy your plane ticket, you call them back and tell them the new price and your policy will be adjusted. Obviously, you may have to come off more money. That's what Insure My Trip told me. But you have to be sure to call back close to the time you add or subtract something from your costs.

We've had "Cancel for any Reason" on most of our cruises and have had to use it 1 time. Brother had emergency surgery and was in ICU Tuesday before our cruise was to leave on Saturday.

Carnival credited all our pre-paids. Cancelled hotel with no penalty, so we were only out of our cruise fare (we were driving to the port.)

Filed a claim, insurance company sent a form for a Physician's statement that it was necessary for me to be present. Fully reimbursed.

Depending on the cost, cancel for no reason is a good option. You never know what could happen - illness in family, loss of job, etc.

I did a great deal of research for my next cruise and selected Travel Guard. I called a number of companies to make sure I was comparing apples to apples. Travel Guard was the only one who would customize my insurance so I got extra coverage in the areas I considered most important. They also came in less expensive than all but one of the companies I contacted.

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment. I'll talk to my hubby this weekend and most likely will go with Travel guard. Have I mentioned I'm beyond stinkin excited about this trip??! Too bad hubby isn't .... he doesn't get excited (at all)...in fact he thinks it's stupid to spend the money... until we actually go on the trip...and then he thanks me for being the "best wife ever." duh! haha

Archived