Cruise Vacation of a Lifetime!! Is this budget realistic??

GABooBoo

Hi!!

After 18 years of marriage (and no honeymoon!!), Me and my husband finally feel like we have enough cash to take a long overdue vacation. We've been setting aside money every month for about 2 years now and we think it's time to pull the trigger. :D

So what do you think?? This is very exciting! My husband will turn 36 that week!

I think it's a fabulous idea! Some have pointed out that the budget may be a little tight, but I think you already knew that.

You kids married young and are still together - you have my congratulations and YES you deserve this! You've found your way together for the past 18 years... you'll figure out how to make this work. And in the process bring back some beautiful memories to replace those daydreams of yours!

Pull the trigger! Best of luck containing your excitement over these next 10 months!

Actually, the water in your cabin is not free... don't drink it unless you plan on paying for it.... there is plenty of water, tea, lemonade, milk, juices and coffee that are free...

Also, you might want to pick up s disposable camera (waterproof) in case you head to a beach.

I love the beaches in Cozumel... the water is beautiful. It is a 14 dollar taxi ride (up to 5 people) each way. So, you can share a cab with another couple.

Have a fun cruise.. you earned it!

I've never bought cruise insurance. I love to live dangerously! Just leave early, kick the tires and check the oil before you go!

Hate to burst that bubble, but our very first cruise was with some veteran cruisers that had never purchased insurance. Since my mother was very ill at the time and our cruise was a yr away, (and I'm slightly OCD...lol), I insisted on trip insurance. Our friend (hubby) became very ill and was hospitalized in Mexico to the tune of over $30,000.00 and returned home a after week us. Carnival was great with and to them in arranging hospitalization and later transport from Mexico to home. Needless to say, they were overwhelmingly grateful that we had put the idea in their minds to purchase the insurance. It covered all costs that their regular medical ins didn't as well as paid for the portion of their cruise, including excursions that they had missed! I know, most of us will never ever have need of the insurance, God willing, but if I do, I will be very, very glad I have purchased it. Kinda like car insurance and all the rest. Hate to pay for it but wouldn't be without it!

Premier Parking is $9.99 a day. We used them in October and they provide a free shuttle. Parking is outdoor but is fenced. There are even a few shade trees to park under if you're lucky. We got there and the shuttle was pulling up behind us as we were parking. At the port 15 minutes later. No problems at all and will use them again.

Budget for a taxi in Cozumel. Somewhere on these boards there is/was a post with a picture of posted fares. Highly highly highly (can't say it enough) recommend splurging and going to Nachi Cocum for the day. $50pp all inclusive, amazingly fabulous food and service. You'll feel so relaxed and pampered. After 18 years it's time to really give yourselves the best. And speaking as one who cruises on a tight tight budget, if I were to splurge on ONE treat, Nachi would be it.

Oh, and get the insurance! On budgets like ours, NOT having it would be a catastrophe.

Tammy and Wayne, congrats on 18 years of marriage and now a belated honeymoon. Go with a positive attitude and you will have a blast. I do not drink or gamble. My last cruise I spend on my S & S $7.00, that was for tums and a Dr. Pepper. I get a cheap room, as I am only in it to sleep and shower/get ready. I prepaid my tips. I love walking around the entire ship, seeing everything there is to see. Sitting by the pool, people watching. I would suggest taking a insulated mug with lid. the tea and lemonade are great. Put coffee and ice cream to make your own coffee drink. I love the passion fruit juice in the morning. Food is plentiful, the memories will be priceless. The shows are fun, try different foods. relax and reconnect. There is alot of info on these forums, do your research, be prepared and have a blast. Let us know with a review after your cruise.

Hi!!

After 18 years of marriage (and no honeymoon!!), Me and my husband finally feel like we have enough cash to take a long overdue vacation. We've been setting aside money every month for about 2 years now and we think it's time to pull the trigger. :D We narrowd it down to the Carnival Imagination sailing from Miami to the Western Carribean we will be visiting Key West and Cozumel the first week of December. We want one of the rooms with a porthole. We have NEVER taken a vacation literally. We got married young, had a daughter right away, and have literally struggled all of our lives, but our daughter is now grown up and leaving the house, so we think its time for us to splurge a little.

I think I figured out everything, but is this realistic?

Cruise for 2 people with taxes: $540

Tips: $90

Hotel: $50

Gas money: $150

Parking: $60

TOTAL: $890

We are NOT going to buy anything extra, or gamble or take excursions, or drink (we will bring the wine Carnival allows).

So what do you think?? This is very exciting! My husband will turn 36 that week!

If you're wanting a room with a porthole, I would think you will be booking earlysaver...you will have a chance of price reductions, which could reduce the cruise rate. Just read the rules for earlysaver and understand the restrictions. The price differs each sailing and unless you have a specific occassion, the week of the 9th is the least expensive right now. You can make your deposit & pay as you like between now & final payment. I believe there is 50% off deposits right now, until Sunday. You might check with Carnival...or someone may know for sure.

I have never had the insurance. In Cozumel we docked at Playa Maya pier. We walked about 3 blocks to the left to El Cid. We paid $16 each to use their pool, hot tub, lounger, showers,rest rooms and snorkeling area. We got a $10 foot credit each from the $16 we paid. We got chips/salsa, quesedias and a couple of sodas. We really enjoyed it. Then did some shoppping and tooks lots of pictures.

I agree with everything everybody said! However, bump your hotel cost up just a bit. Don't forget that those pesky lodging taxes will mess up any budget. Know exactly what they are and ask about any 'unseen' costs associated with your room. You don't need any surprises. Parking always seems to be going up and with the months in between now and your cruise it is a given. Add a couple of bucks for each day. And if this is the first vacation you have taken you really need to budget for something fun. It does not need to be extravagant or outrageous but build something in. You are going to be in a place you have never experienced (?) and you WILL want to do something. Budget 20 bucks and have a glass of wine in a little bar in Cozumel. Use the extra (wine is el cheapo!) and buy a refrigerator magnet! We have had wonderful vacations when we cruise and sometimes we do excursions and sometimes not. We have actually gone on a cruise and just spent our port time 'walking' the port with little or no expenditures. One 7 day cruise handed us a $53 bill at the end, but others, not so little. It is all in what you want. But please do not spend this all important vacation watching for every little penny or dime. Some fun must be had or else why go at all? Can it be done for just necessities? Yes...... Should it be done for just necessities?...........

There will always be something unexpected. No matter how careful you plan it will arise. Always plan for it and hope it does not happen.

And always, but always, have a camera on hand. That will turn out to be the most priceless of all souvenirs.

Hi!!

After 18 years of marriage (and no honeymoon!!), Me and my husband finally feel like we have enough cash to take a long overdue vacation. We've been setting aside money every month for about 2 years now and we think it's time to pull the trigger. :D We narrowd it down to the Carnival Imagination sailing from Miami to the Western Carribean we will be visiting Key West and Cozumel the first week of December. We want one of the rooms with a porthole. We have NEVER taken a vacation literally. We got married young, had a daughter right away, and have literally struggled all of our lives, but our daughter is now grown up and leaving the house, so we think its time for us to splurge a little.

We are NOT going to buy anything extra, or gamble or take excursions, or drink (we will bring the wine Carnival allows).

I am SO excited with you. I hope you post here a lot so we can follow along. Your plans sound great. :)

Since you have a while between now and the cruise, if there are any days coming up where you and your hubby typically get each other a small gift, you could buy each other on board credit as the gift. A photo credit can be as little as $10 and cruise cash gifts for $25.

Since when the bottle water is free ? Never saw a free bottle of water out of 9 cruises.

Only cruised twice on Conquest, 2007 and 2009. Both times there were two large bottles of water in our cabin when we embarked. We were not charged for those.

Only cruised twice on Conquest, 2007 and 2009. Both times there were two large bottles of water in our cabin when we embarked. We were not charged for those.

no matter which line i have traveled in the last few years the water bottles in the room have always been 'for sale' and never free. first time i have ever heard of them not being charged for.

I take some $1 for tipping the porter and for room service. I have parked at parking garage, stayed at hotel that had free shuttle, and stayed at hotel and taken a cab. Compare all the prices and see what comes out better for you. If they have free breakfast, you can have that, then when get on the ship start your eating included in the cruise fare.

I buy postcards and magnets for soveniers. Doesn't cost alot and doesn't take up alot of space in my luggage.

Have fun....

Hi!!

Does your medical insurance cover you when you are out of Cournty? If not I would atleast get a travel medical insurance.

I am so excited for you! I know you will have a great time! Make sure you check out the carnival boards searching for ship secrets. There are great tips on here on different ways to get free drinks and ship trinkets. I know often you can get free cards with the ship logo at the customer service desks. :)

We are the same way, down to the penny and we save anywhere for 14-24 months to afford a cruise for the 3 (dd 7) of us. All looks good, might want to check bus and train prices as well, with no car to store it might be cheaper. We need to fly after driving 6 hours to an airport, to make this cheaper we only cruise out of ports where we have friends living to put us up (Tampa, Long Beach, Galveston).

We love our inside rooms to save money, pictures: my wife has a camera and we took pictures on our first cruise, our 2nd we took like 6 pixs and none on our last cruise, so no need to pay for expensive ship photos if ya have a camera. Porters we don;t use as we carry our own luggage onto the plane and onto the ship (never checking). Room service we have never used.

Your budget looks good, have a blast, let us know how it went.

OP,

I think back to my first cruise when I had no extra money and still had a wonderful time. I hope you have the best time ever as you seem so genuine in wanting something that many of us take for granted.

Enjoy your cruise and if there is a way to save up a few extra dollars, I am sure you will do it and if not, so be it. I really am so happy for you.

Get travel insurance and have fun! Insurance is NOT the place to skimp regardless of how many chime in that they never buy it. We went to Mr Sanchos in Cozumel, $45 pp ( pre paid, at the door it's $50) and it was worth every penny. I drank and ate waaaay more than $50 that's for sure. It was nice to have one day be carefree and not thinking of how much something cost because it's all inclusive.

Archived