Cruise Vacation of a Lifetime!! Is this budget realistic??

GABooBoo

What about Travel Insurance?

Your medical insurance may or may not cover you outside of the US. Either way,,, one of you trip or fall or get sick,,, it's money upfront, then submit any claims.

Auto accident, blown tire, water pump goes out, causing you to miss your cruise,,,, you're out the money with no recourse.

I don't think they want to be scared of all the what ifs that most likely will not happen ever.

Hope you have a great cruise. You got time. I would try to squeeze a budget up to $1,500.00 just because this is a big thing for you, and it would be nice to spend some money in port. Have a few drinks, and not have to worry.

Appreciate your situation but I don't know how you can enjoy any port without spending some money. You will probably need a cab to get anywhere, lunches, a few drinks, etc.

They're going to Key West and Cozumel - absolutely no need for cabs there and close enough to go back to the ship for lunch. Not everyone drinks either. Very possible to just walk around these areas to see the sights and spend zero $'s and still have a fun day. OP, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

On my first few cruises I didn't have any money for extras...no professional photos, no booze, no souveneers, no insurance, no taxis at the ports, nothing. And I had such a great time in spite of it. Now days though, I am older and more brittle, so I get insurance in case I fall and can't get up...and I get taxis and photos, and lots of other fun stuff.

But for you I say I say GO FOR IT and have a great time on your cruise! You can go on a cruise for so much less than many of us do after we get a little addicted to cruising.

OP,

I think back to my first cruise when I had no extra money and still had a wonderful time. I hope you have the best time ever as you seem so genuine in wanting something that many of us take for granted.

Enjoy your cruise and if there is a way to save up a few extra dollars, I am sure you will do it and if not, so be it. I really am so happy for you.

I so agree with this post and sentiment from a kind CC gal. You do us all a favor with your question..I have a fairly tight budget always and some times have been extremely lean. It was just as good as times with a little more..yes i hope to go a little better than my level each time I go somewhere on a big trip.... with a little extra and have had some wonderful chances in my youth studying abroad to see places I dream of returning with a tad more hot water and luxury..LOL.

These past leaner years have helped me remember a dinner at home with family..or a picnic outing is just as special if not more than a fancy steakhouse or french restaurant, or favorite rib/burger or tex/mex joint. My 2 big trips were very budget, yet fancy for me Carnival Paradise and Spirit with only self explore and 1A and then inside double on second trip... and 2.5 to 3.5 star 50 dollar bids for hotels pre- cruise and 4 and 5 day cruises from west coast as better with air..a tiny bit better..LOL. There is something about the Fantasy Class ships and crews...special size and camaraderie.

This trip with all the novelty and first time exotic places on my bucket list too..with your wise planning here and a year to fine tune..whatever you do will be fine and it is going to be wonderful..the simple surprises in exploration with ease...like this trip will be...are the best...and I so hope you will indulge us with the first timers joy stories upon your return...thanks so much..your planning is a gift to us all...Sarah

Hi Tammy and Wayne.......congratulations on making a decision to enjoy a wonderful cruise vacation!!! We have cruised many, many times. We have learned that excursions can be very expensive. We enjoy walking at each port and going to the beach (taxi fare is almost always needed). We live in VA Beach and recently have either cruised from Baltimore (4-1/2 hour drive) or Norfolk (20 minute drive) to save a great deal of money as you have chosen to do also. To save extra money, we almost always book an inside cabin. We think Carnival's inside cabins are very, very roomy and reasonable in cost. We don't spend much time in the cabin as there is so much to enjoy on the ship, day and night. Be sure to sign up to receive emails from Carnival - there will be many sales between now and December. If you find a rate lower than what you booked, be sure to call Carnival or your travel agent and request the lower rate. You will probably catch one or two sales if you keep checking the website and the emails!!!

Enjoy your cruise!! You deserve it! Oh, Carnival's WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE for desser is FREE EVERY NIGHT in the main dining room and it is soooooo yummy!!!:)

TAMMY AND WAYNE, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A FIRST CRUISE - YOU WILL TREASURE THE MEMORIES FOREVER! Our first cruise in 1993 remains very dear to our hearts!!!

I agree to budget a little for room service. If this is your first vacation in 18 years you can afford to splurge just a little. The food is free but a tip is encouraged. My wife and I have a pot of coffee, some fruit plates and a Danish or yogurt delivered every morning. We use it as a wake up call. I tip usually $2 (occasionally more if we order more, not often) for each morning. Of course you can order room service any time but trust me, you'll enjoy having breakfast in bed. Plus it will hold you over while you get ready to go for "real" breakfast.

Re: souvenirs. This is a very personal preference type thing. But for reference for budgeting we spend very VERY little on such things. I truly doubt we've ever spent more than $20/cruise on stuff in port.

I'm sure you know this but the iced tea on board ain't nothing like sweet tea ;)

Lastly, and not at all what you asked, ride the waterslide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!!

After 18 years of marriage (and no honeymoon!!), Me and my husband finally feel like we have enough cash to take a long overdue vacation. We've been setting aside money every month for about 2 years now and we think it's time to pull the trigger. :D We narrowd it down to the Carnival Imagination sailing from Miami to the Western Carribean we will be visiting Key West and Cozumel the first week of December. We want one of the rooms with a porthole. We have NEVER taken a vacation literally. We got married young, had a daughter right away, and have literally struggled all of our lives, but our daughter is now grown up and leaving the house, so we think its time for us to splurge a little.

I think I figured out everything, but is this realistic?

Cruise for 2 people with taxes: $540

Tips: $90

Hotel: $50

Gas money: $150

Parking: $60

TOTAL: $890

We are NOT going to buy anything extra, or gamble or take excursions, or drink (we will bring the wine Carnival allows).

So what do you think?? This is very exciting! My husband will turn 36 that week!

The LaQuinta East in Miami has free parking for up to 7 days plus a free shuttle to the port. I believe there is a small fee for the return shuttle. A free breakfast is a nice perk as well.

If you have AAA, AARP or are Military or Govt, you can get a nice discount.

http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?propId=4040&savedSearchQuery=%2Flq%2FproxySearchRes.do%3Favailability.palsra_IND_M%3D12%26availability.palsra_IND_D%3D01%26availability.palsra_IND_Y%3D2013%26availability.palsra_OTD_M%3D12%26availability.palsra_OTD_D%3D02%26availability.palsra_OTD_Y%3D2013%26availability.palsra_NRM%3D1%26availability.palsra_ROC%3D2%26availability.palsra_NCH%3D0%26availability.palsra_AMC2%3DNSMK%26availability.palsra_RPC1%3D&saveRoomPref=NSMK

Wishing you a great time. :)

Tammy and Wayne... Have a wonderful cruise! This will be a wonderful birthday for Wayne, and a memory for you both. Hey, you guys are young, and you will probably not even be bothered with room service. Get out of the cabin and enjoy all that the ship has to offer. Enjoy the meals in the many food areas. It is not necessary to have someone bring you food or coffee. Shoot, I did not get room service for many cruises, and I did not miss this "experience." You seem so excited, and it makes me feel good to read this.

Key West will be fun, because there is so much to see that is within walking distance. Have a nice breakfast before you get off, and come back to have some lunch. I would suggest walking the furthest away from the ship before lunch. After you finish your lunch, explore all of the places closest to the pier, so that you are not running late getting back to the ship on time. :D The same should apply for Coszumel. I can't remember that port, but should be plenty to see. Keep your positive attitude on life. Enjoy your drive to Miami, and have a great time.

I remember leaner years where we have slept in our car at a rest stop to grab a few hours of sleep. It was not the end of the world, and we still had a blast on our road trip. This was to get to Alabama, and time was of the essence.

You seem to have a good head, and know what you have to do to save for what you want. As others stated, just keep saving a few dollars here and there. You have GOT to write a report when you get back from your trip, because you have a very positive look on life, and I think you all will enjoy everything. Just don't eat or drink what is in the fridge, or that water. It is not free. :D

I have never bought insurance. I guess I just never felt the need to and I have sailed durring hurricane season. Living on the edge right? Anyway, I am the queen of finding things on the cheap if I know I can, I always priceline a hotel. I have gotten fantastic deals on great hotels for $50 bucks. You just got to figure the system. There are websites that will guide you onto bidding for the right one like betterbidding.com.

Another way to find a good deal, is if you use credit cards and get points, you can get a free room. Thats how we got our hotel for our upcoming trip.

Have fun you and your husband will have the best time!! I am excited for you ! :):)

I would also budget in for a few teverinkets that you might buy at each port. Even if you dont do an excursion looking around at each port can be fun and always very reasonable priced items to take home for yourself and family

Ditto

Even if you don't take an excursion ((ship sponsored or otherwise) need to figure you are going to spend something.

I wouldn't say that your budget is very realistic....I would find a hotel that offers a park and cruise option where you can leave your car there for the duration of your cruise and then take the shuttle to the cruise port. Especially with it being your first cruise you will want to have spending money for a few souvenirs on the ship and in port.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived