Cayman Islands Brewery Tour

glendon3281

We just did this on our own…..

They produce Caybrew, Ironshore Bock, CayLight, White Tip Lager, etc.

From the North Cruise Terminal in Georgetown, walk approx. 3 blocks away from the water on Fort St. to Edward St. Turn right at the Library and look for the bus station, which is more like a wide driveway with numerous vans lined up in it. There’s a tiny one-person building to ask which bus to take.

The bus cost was $2.50/pp each way and take exact change. The bus is more like a van but make sure it has a blue license plate. We told the bus driver where we wanted to go, since we were unfamiliar with the area. The ride took approx. 20 minutes since it made numerous stops to pick-up the locals.

The bus dropped us off across the street from the brewery, which opened at 9am. We got there at 9:05am and were the ONLY visitors in the store/office area. We were greeted with free beer samples…(Its 5-o’clock somewhere, right? ;)). We had more samples while waiting for more visitors to arrive (good thing I had a big breakfast or I’d be pretty buzzed by 9:30am) :D. No one else showed up, so they topped off our glasses and the tour began.

It lasted about a half hour and was very interesting. On side note: We’ve done numerous micro-brewery tours in the US and were required to wear long pants, closed shoes and safety glasses. This was a come-as-you are tour. We were in flip-flops & bathing suits with cover-ups.

They were bottling beer that day but our tour guide told us seeing the beer being canned is more interesting. We thought it was great anyway. We were right next to the moving production line…..almost too close for comfort. I looked at my son at one point that I’m not going any closer to the machinery even though the tour guide was saying to :eek:. As the production line was moving, the guide quickly grabbed an uncapped, freshly filled bottle of beer and filled our glasses yet again.

We returned back to where we started, only to sample more beers. About 15x visitors arrived for the next tour but we were glad we arrived so early and got such a great, personal tour. They have numerous beer souvenirs for sale, too.

We walked out to the street and probably waited about 10 minutes for a bus to arrive. Keep an eye for that blue license plate and just wave for the driver to pick you up, there are no official bus stops. We rode back to the bus station and changed buses, had to pay another $2.50 to go to 7-mile beach. So our whole day cost $10/pp in bus fare….to/from the brewery and to/from the beach.

I’d highly recommend going to this brewery if you’re into micro-breweries and want something new and different to do in Grand Cayman.

Also, they have a website but not sure if that’s allowed to be posted. Just “google” it for more info.

How long did the tour take in total.

The tour itself took about a half hour. However, we were probably there about 1-1/2 hours, with drinking beer samples and waiting for more people to arrive, then the tour. We returned to the store/waiting area and had more samples. We also checked out the souvenirs and socialized with people who just arrived for the tour. However, our tour seemed longer and more personalized since it was just the 4x of us.

The tour after ours only seemed like it was 20 minutes...not sure if it was because of it being a different tour guide???

The building that houses the actual assy line is not that big...there was only about 6-7 people working there that day.

We visited as well. We located a tour guide on the dock and ask that this be included during an island tour. No problem at all.

They have some very nice T-shirts and hats for soveniers as well.

Brews were good, wished we could have brought some back to drink on the ship.

We just did this on our own…..

They produce Caybrew, Ironshore Bock, CayLight, White Tip Lager, etc.

From the North Cruise Terminal in Georgetown, walk approx. 3 blocks away from the water on Fort St. to Edward St. Turn right at the Library and look for the bus station, which is more like a wide driveway with numerous vans lined up in it. There’s a tiny one-person building to ask which bus to take.

The bus cost was $2.50/pp each way and take exact change. The bus is more like a van but make sure it has a blue license plate. We told the bus driver where we wanted to go, since we were unfamiliar with the area. The ride took approx. 20 minutes since it made numerous stops to pick-up the locals.

The bus dropped us off across the street from the brewery, which opened at 9am. We got there at 9:05am and were the ONLY visitors in the store/office area. We were greeted with free beer samples…(Its 5-o’clock somewhere, right? ;)). We had more samples while waiting for more visitors to arrive (good thing I had a big breakfast or I’d be pretty buzzed by 9:30am) :D. No one else showed up, so they topped off our glasses and the tour began.

It lasted about a half hour and was very interesting. On side note: We’ve done numerous micro-brewery tours in the US and were required to wear long pants, closed shoes and safety glasses. This was a come-as-you are tour. We were in flip-flops & bathing suits with cover-ups.

They were bottling beer that day but our tour guide told us seeing the beer being canned is more interesting. We thought it was great anyway. We were right next to the moving production line…..almost too close for comfort. I looked at my son at one point that I’m not going any closer to the machinery even though the tour guide was saying to :eek:. As the production line was moving, the guide quickly grabbed an uncapped, freshly filled bottle of beer and filled our glasses yet again.

We returned back to where we started, only to sample more beers. About 15x visitors arrived for the next tour but we were glad we arrived so early and got such a great, personal tour. They have numerous beer souvenirs for sale, too.

We walked out to the street and probably waited about 10 minutes for a bus to arrive. Keep an eye for that blue license plate and just wave for the driver to pick you up, there are no official bus stops. We rode back to the bus station and changed buses, had to pay another $2.50 to go to 7-mile beach. So our whole day cost $10/pp in bus fare….to/from the brewery and to/from the beach.

I’d highly recommend going to this brewery if you’re into micro-breweries and want something new and different to do in Grand Cayman.

Also, they have a website but not sure if that’s allowed to be posted. Just “google” it for more info.

Thanks for this post. I'm going to surprise my beer loving DH on our upcoming cruise. He'll love it. We have visited many breweries in the past. Heineken in Amsterdam was the coolest so far but I'm sure he will find this really cool. We'll head over there early as you did and then head to a snorkel spot later.

Did the bus accept US currency or Cayman dollars for exact change?

The bus accepted US money $2.50/pp/each way and we brought exact change just in case. We paid as we exited the bus. Just tell the driver where you want to go.

Remember ... the bus looks more like a mini van and has a blue license plate.

Thanks for this post. I'm going to surprise my beer loving DH on our upcoming cruise. He'll love it. We have visited many breweries in the past. Heineken in Amsterdam was the coolest so far but I'm sure he will find this really cool. We'll head over there early as you did and then head to a snorkel spot later.

This brewery is on the small side, so please don't compare it with what I can only imagine the Heineken brewery must look like. However, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

This brewery is on the small side, so please don't compare it with what I can only imagine the Heineken brewery must look like. However, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

No worries, we've visited lots of small ones too and attended some small local brewers festivals. It is always fun to try new beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the OP we visited the brewery last week. My DH really enjoyed it as he is a big beer fan and the directions were perfect. We arrived just after a big group on a bus had toured through and thought we would be with them but they were leaving. In the end, another couple wandered in and we were only 4 in our tour group. There was no rush and we were free to ask as many questions as we wanted.

At the end there is more beer for tasting and a good choice of souvenirs if you are interested in that sort of stuff.

I would highly recommend this for beer connoisseurs and there is still time for a trip to the beach or in our case Sunset House after.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can bring beer back onboard but expect it to be confiscated and returned at the end of your cruise.

We once had a problem doing this, so now we take a picture of our booze on the table.

If you got it off the shelf it is fine. From a fridgerated case it might lose something when it warms up then cools down again. But it won't be a drastic change.

We just got back today on the Magic. DH went for the Caybrew tour. He followed the instructions above and had no problems.

But, just be forewarned...........they went on Thursday Oct, 31st. It was the last day for free tours. I think they said they were going to start charging. I will be less than 10 dollars per person.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all this good information. We were there over Thanksgiving and went to the brewery and had a ball!

We went to the Caybrew brewery last week and it was fun. We stopped in the office for tourism at the pier and talked to a terrific lady about taking the local bus. It was very easy to do, clean, safe, and cheap to do. We walked a block to the library (city bus center). Told the bus coordinator in the little booth that we wanted the brewery and he put us on the right bus (small van). He told us to just tell the driver and pay $2.50 per person. About a 10-15 minute ride. Tour was $6 and we each got 5 small beers. Loved the White Tip! Then we walked out and waited 5 minutes and waved at a bus who stopped and took us back to the library. Just look for BLUE license plates. We had a great time.

• 1 year later...