carrying on luggage

You can carry on a larger suitcase than you can carry on an airplane. That one would have to be a size that will fit in the overhead bin. Don't have to worry about that on a ship. I carry on a 24 inch tall suitcase all of the time with no problem.

You can carry on a larger suitcase than you can carry on an airplane. That one would have to be a size that will fit in the overhead bin. Don't have to worry about that on a ship. I carry on a 24 inch tall suitcase all of the time with no problem.

Great! That's exactly what I was hoping for! I have a 20 inch that's and easy carry-on, but a bit small for the week. I was hoping to take my 22 or 24 inch instead!

As another poster mentioned, your bags just need to be able to fit in the scanner. One caution though, if you board early, your cabin won't be available and you'll have to drag your bags around the ship with you. Our bags have never arrived any later than 5pm. I say, let them take your bags, board the ship with only essentials in tow, and enjoy the ship bag-free.

As another poster mentioned, your bags just need to be able to fit in the scanner. One caution though, if you board early, your cabin won't be available and you'll have to drag your bags around the ship with you. Our bags have never arrived any later than 5pm. I say, let them take your bags, board the ship with only essentials in tow, and enjoy the ship bag-free.

I totally agree with you IF you're planning on boarding early. Personally, I've had my fill of the early boarding "purgatory", wandering around waiting for my stateroom. I now prefer to have a nice lunch landside and then board sometime around two pm, when the cabins are already opened. Hence the desire to have my luggage with me.

Personally, I'd rather hope for the best on luggage arrival than have to lug stuff around the ship waiting for the cabins to be available.

We just pack everything we're likely to need before dinner (bathing suits, extra t-shirts, etc.) in the carry on and check everything else. If worst comes to worst, and you don't get your bags before dinner, go in shorts, they'll understand.

I guess the thought of dragging bags all through the terminal, all the way up the ramps, all around the ship until the cabins open. Compared to a couple of bucks and let someone else lug the stuff around for me...

Nope, not gonna be by own bell boy for a day.

I guess the thought of dragging bags all through the terminal, all the way up the ramps, all around the ship until the cabins open. Compared to a couple of bucks and let someone else lug the stuff around for me...

Nope, not gonna be by own bell boy for a day.

And I agree.... But I'm not talking about dragging "bags" "all around the ship until that cabins open". I'm talking about boarding AFTER the cabins open, and I would just have my ONE bag. A vastly different scenario. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not asking what you WANT to do. I'm asking what is ALLOWED.

And I agree.... But I'm not talking about dragging "bags" "all around the ship until that cabins open". I'm talking about boarding AFTER the cabins open, and I would just have my ONE bag. A vastly different scenario. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not asking what you WANT to do. I'm asking what is ALLOWED.

The only thing we have seen is that a bag was too big to go through the scanner and had to be tagged for normal baggage delivery. As I recall it was the 20-24" variety.

Personally, I've had my fill of the early boarding "purgatory", wandering around waiting for my stateroom. .

Let's see, free food, alcohol, pool, music, not crowded, purgatory sure is alot better than I was taught!

I always get on as early as possible.

Let's see, free food, alcohol, pool, music, not crowded, purgatory sure is alot better than I was taught!

I always get on as early as possible.

Yeah, it may be a harsh description, and I'm not saying there aren't good options. Just personally, I've kind of "been there, done that". Lately I've discovered how nice it can be to hit a landside restaurant before board. Part of the appeal is that if I'm in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Port Canaveral, there are a lot of places to get a great seafood lunch. And I know that of all the wonderful things I'm going to experience on my cruise over the next week, fresh seafood isn't going to be one of them!:o

And what I really get excited for is getting to my cabin and checking it out. I often travel solo, and I spend a lot of time relaxing on my stateroom balcony. Whereas a lot of people think of the ship as their home for the week, I feel that way about my stateroom in particular. So for me, to get on board and not be able to get to my stateroom yet, that's kind of a tease!

No offense meant. Merely tossing out my opinion....As someone else said, if it don't fit, it will get checked.

Bon Voayge.

No offense taken. I totally agree with you. And if I was planning on being on board for any period of time before staterooms were open, no way I would want to lug it around either!

I guess I just pack lighter than the normal cruiser...even boarding early I've never found it to be that big of a deal to carry my own luggage onboard...if you board at 11:30 or so...by the time you hit the WJ have a nice lunch it's at least 12:30 or so...cabins are ready by 1:00 so at the most I have to kill 30 mins. sitting out by the pool or in the Schooner bar having a drink & people watching...

Archived