Walk to Carlisle or taxi?

TorontoSailor

If we wanted to walk to Carlisle beach from the cruise ship terminal, how would we get there--and how long would it take to walk?

Alternately, if we wanted to take a taxi, how much would that cost? Where is the best place to be dropped off and picked back up?

May taxi there and walk back, as I had read that it is a nice walk back through Bridgetown. Do you just take the same route to do that--or is there another way to go?

Don't have a map handy, so forgive me for these questions.

Thanks!

We went to carlisle beach on Monday. Based on what I had read here, I walked there. I would not recommend it. We walked over independently of our friends, but met them there. Our friend is a recent Iraq and Afghanistan veteran and and he said the town reminded him of Baghdad. They were hassled by a taxi driver that followed them for nearly two blocks. We were not hassled nearly that badly, a polite no sufficed for almost everyone, my husband was concerned about a few people on the walk over. We had no actual problems, but it was not the scenic walk we were hoping for. In general I like to walk places when possible, but the walk is thru an urban area. It took about 30 minutes.

The taxi is only $3 per person. If you are at the boatyard, it's a free ride back (which we took - much more pleasant).

The boatyard was $12pp. This included a chair, umbrella, rum drink, and a free shuttle ride back to the ship. Shuttles started leaving about 2:00 or 2:30. We left about 3:45. The shuttles were originally announced as every 1/2 hour, but by the time we left enough people were leaving that we just waited 3 minutes to fill the van and off we went. Local Beer was $3 per beer, or i think they had a special for 6/$15.

If you didn't want to go the the boatyard, Harbor Lights and Lobsters Alive were the other major beach bars on Carlisle bay.

We went to carlisle beach on Monday. Based on what I had read here, I walked there. I would not recommend it. We walked over independently of our friends, but met them there. Our friend is a recent Iraq and Afghanistan veteran and and he said the town reminded him of Baghdad. They were hassled by a taxi driver that followed them for nearly two blocks. We were not hassled nearly that badly, a polite no sufficed for almost everyone, my husband was concerned about a few people on the walk over. We had no actual problems, but it was not the scenic walk we were hoping for. In general I like to walk places when possible, but the walk is thru an urban area. It took about 30 minutes.

The taxi is only $3 per person. If you are at the boatyard, it's a free ride back (which we took - much more pleasant).

I also agree with this. Was there 2 weeks ago and had the same issues of getting hassled by taxi drivers on the way out of the port and felt uncomfortable walking the area. We got a lot of looks like "what are you doing here...you must be lost". I planned to walk, as I thought it would be scenic walk for pictures...not so much. If we do visit again, we will taxi. It's a longer walk than I thought too. Boat Yard was a great place, but we were turned off by the vendors walking the beach...they got pretty annoying at times! Even fighting over us for snorkeling with the turtle tours. Not really a place I could relax at. It did rain, so we did spend time in the bar getting food and drinks. Reasonably priced as well. They do have free WIFI but it was pretty darn slow as lots of people were doing the same thing we were.

Archived