Dunn's River Falls (Private vs. Ship Excursion)

fletch1027

We booked with Mark's tours last year. He was full for the day so he arranged to have Dwaine Bailey (Best of Ocho Rios Tours) take us to the falls and river Tubing. He picked The four of us and one other family of six up at the port. It was great to be in such a small group. He got us to the falls early, before the crowds were there. He is a great tour guide And totally made our trip to Ocho Rios.

I would not hesitate to book with Mark or Dwainennext time we go to Ocho Rios.

I booked thru Island Marketing Last year (jamaicashoreexcursion.com) and had a great time. We were in a group of 12 and were dropped off first thing in the morning at the falls. Our guide showed us how to either get a guide at the falls or just avoid them and walk up on our own (chain of people vs solo, we opted to climb on our own). After that he left us and told us he would be in the parking lot waiting for us whenever we finished, no rush. We ended up climbing the falls twice, taking our time, and we had so much fun! We also hung out and had Red Stripes before we left with the other couples on the tour because we were in no hurry mon. It was also a lot cheaper this way too. Our guide was great sharing information about Jamaica and because it was such a small group we could all ask questions and feel involved.

My parents were there the same day and booked an excursion through the ship. They were loaded onto a massive bus to go to the falls with 50 of their closest friends. They all had to stay together and form a chain to climb up the falls. My Mom said she didn't feel comfortable climbing the falls that way and the whole day was more stressful than it needed to be because of it. They didn't have much time when they were finished before they had to go back to the bus. They paid twice what we paid to book through the ship.

Booking through the ship will guarentee you that the ship will not leave without you but since Dunns is so close to Ocho Rios I wouldn't worry about that too much. I booked through a company that required a deposit but I would have gotten it back if we couldn't dock (I know some people worry about that). Independent tours will have less people, less cost and I personally think they are the way to go. I do my research before I leave on Trip Advisor. I look over the company's reviews, I go through their website and I make a decision on which tour based on price and feedback from other travelers. I have always had great luck!

I am debating this as well. We usually book our own private excursions, but when things are far from port we consider going through the ship. (Did this when we visited Lamanai in Belize because it was quite a drive.) I have quotes from the main 3 groups mentioned on this board...but now I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't consider spending the extra money for the ship excursion. We stop in Falmouth. Interested in hearing what you decide and any insight others have to offer!

We have used Phil Lafayette many times. Most recently last month. It was great as usual. We did dunns river and the he took us river rafting. So fun! He is honest and entertaining. He has a new van and he will custom design a tour for you. His prices are very good. Look up Phil Lafayette in jamicia or jamicia phil.

Archived