Grand Cayman-No Excursions

lovetoteach1

I was wondering if anyone knew of any places to go off the beaten path on Grand Cayman. We'll be there next month and no one in my group wants to do an excursion due to the early arrival. We're looking for a resturant/bar/beach that you wouldn't get on an excursion. I know the beaches will be crowded, that's fine, just trying to find something not typical. Traveling with first time cruisers and trying to show them how fun it can be. They typically like finding local places when on islands. Hoping to show them that can be done when on a cruise as well. Thanks for your imput!

Royal Palms is firmly on the paved-with-handrails path, so to speak.

Depending upon personal interests you might consider renting a car to explore the eastern districts of Grand Cayman.

Relatively few cruisers visit the historic Pedro St James National Historic Site, aka Pedro Castle. There they also offer a combination ticket that permits you entrance to the Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park at a reduced rate for the combined pair. The Botanic Park is home to the Blue Iguana Recovery Program, a rehabilitation effort to save the critically endangered blue iguana.

While driving between those two you might want to stop for a quirky roadside photo op at the intersection of Frank Sound Road and Off the Beaten Path Rd. You will have photo proof you have been off the beaten path in Cayman.

Further east in Gun Bay you will find the Wreck of the Ten Sails Monument quite close to a recommended lunch spot, Miss Vivine's Kitchen. You walk around to the back of the house and up the steps to place your order right at the kitchen door. Sit back and enjoy your native dish al fresco with a fabulous ocean view.

On your way out of East End you might, depending upon the seas, notice huge sprays of water shooting up at the Blowholes. This is very weather dependent and tends to be less reliable on nice flat calm days that are good for easy tendering for the cruise ships. But if the wind is blowing and the waves and ocean swell are rolling in then the Blowholes is worth a few minutes for a stop.

Totally agree with the poster above. We did a tour with Cayman Safari and it went to the above places and was great. Definitely off the beaten path. So beautiful and it was a highlight.

We loved Miss Vivines, great food. You eat on a picnic bench and look over the beautiful ocean.

what ever you do

do NOT go to Sunset House for the day

I'm booking a week long stay there because of the excellent reef yards from their 'ocean pool' and their in house bar - MY BAR - being voted among the best in the Carib'

but do NOT make my mistake because they often ask that you buy a drink or some food b4 they let you use the pool - forcing you to snorkel for free unless you need to rent equipment from the on site dive shop (local orientation provided for free)

and don't go because in my experience it is VERY unusual to see a cruise ship person there - except for crew and senior staff - who know this POPULAR local hangout.

no - don't go ..... you might sit in my chair.

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

Archived