Snorkeling preference?

On our cruise in June to Southern Caribbean, we are planning to snorkel at one of the islands. We don't want to spend the money to do it everywhere and want to do other things too. Can anyone tell me which has the better snorkeling from the following? First cruise by the way but have gone snorkeling other places - if that makes a difference:

St. Thomas; St. Kitts; Aruba; Curacao (going out of San Juan, but no time)

Thanks!

St Kitts is the worst option for snorkeling. Do something else there. Decent snorkeling can be found in your other ports; focus your research on them, using the port of call boards here and Trip Advisor.

In Curacao, Cas Abao and Playa Porto Mari have good snorkeling, but I did them on a land-based trip, not a cruise.

St Thomas used to be a great snorkeling stop, but the reefs have declined in recent years, and some would say the snorkeling has suffered. Still good places to be found, and it all just depends on your perspective.

I can't answer the question about which island has the best snorkeling, but we had one of our best snorkel excursions in St. Thomas. It was a ship excursion, and I don't know if they still do it, but it was on a small sailboat, and limited to 6 guests. We stopped at 3 different places and the sailboat captain snorkeled with us each time, taking us around to various interesting spots. There were some refreshments on the way back to the cruise ship.

Do it in St.Thomas. Find an excursion that will take you to St. John. You'll want to go to Trunk Bay, one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world. They have a snorkeling trail with underwater signs telling what you are looking at.

We always do this on our own. You can grab a cab at the cruise pier and ask to go to the Red Hook Ferry. The ferry runs on the hour, every hour to St. John. Once on St. John, just grab a taxi Trunk Bay.

I've snorkeled at all except St. Kitts. My family and I loved Playa Porto Mari in Curacao, a beach a previous poster suggested. A close second would be Trunk Bay at St. John. You do have to ferry over from St. Thomas, but it is worth it. Just be sure to plan your return time carefully.

Why not get your own gear before you go? DH and I found it much better to have the dive bag with our gear in it that we could take anywhere.

You can also check that it fits and that you are comfortable in it.

We did this a few years ago and it turned out to be a good investment.

Archived