TravelEx Insurance - recommended

Dr_Booze

Figured I'd post something with "TravelEx" in the Header in case others do a search for insurance. For those looking, I would highly recommend TravelEx. We've used for past 10+ cruises, typically the "TraveLite" package, and have needed twice for trips to sick bay. Cost for 2 adults (3 kids free) for $6000, 10-day trip cost was $132.

Last cruise my wife had to visit the ship's doc at a cost of about $200. Filled out the reimbursement form - no need to bother with our primary insurance - and faxed it in. No kidding, 6 days later there was a check in our mailbox. We haven't used any other travel insurance so no means to compare, but I was pretty amazed at the helpfulness of their telephone staff and the speed of getting reimbursed. Perhaps it's slower if have a major cost reimbursement, but for the more likely event of a sick bay visit and meds it is well worth it. Hope this helps!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a TravelEx question....

We will be buying TravelEx for our summer cruise. We mostly buy it for the baggage, cancellation, flights, medical, etc...(the usual stuff).

One part I'm not clear on is if we book a private tour on an island, and something would happen we'd miss the ship leaving port, is that covered? (it'd be trip interruption, but unsure if that reason would be covered?)

We normally don't book non-ship sponsored excursions because of the very worry of missing the ship (mostly my husband's worry), but this trip I'd like to venture out.

Any idea?

Thanks!

One part I'm not clear on is if we book a private tour on an island, and something would happen we'd miss the ship leaving port, is that covered? (it'd be trip interruption, but unsure if that reason would be covered?)

Any idea?

Thanks!

It would all depend on the reason you missed the ship. If you're out shopping and lose track of time you're on your own. But if you get hit by a taxi and need to get X-rays and some stitches and miss the ship because by the time the doctor got you fixed up then you'd be covered. A mechanical breakdown of the tour vehicle might be covered depending on the plan but getting stuck in traffic probably wouldn't.

Thanks...I figure I'm going to have to read the fineprint!

We plan to do tours via boat/catamaran. We enjoy snorkeling and that's pretty much what we plan to do in each port. But, not 'on our own' off some beach...a tour by boat that will go to reefs, wrecks, etc....

Thanks!

Archived