Please help with our plans

bermudamama4

We are traveling the Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda in three weeks. We are only in Bermuda for two days (really, a full day and night, and up to the afternoon of the second day before we take off).

There are two teenagers (19 and 17), my husband and me and our 3-year old daughter. Given the time limits, could I get some ideas/itineraries sketched out by a few of you who know what we might like to see and do?

Things we've talked about already seeing:

Horseshoe Beach

Snorkel Park

Scuba Diving

Shopping in Hamilton

Glass Bottom Boat ride

parasailing

I want to maximize our activities while there. If we get off the boat in the morning at the Dockyards, what should we do while there? Do we then get back on the boat for lunch and return to the island to head to the beach? If you do the beach, can you resume touring the island, or is it necessary to pack it up and head back to the ship? Is it time-consuming to return to the ship during a day in Bermuda or is what everyone does?

I really am hoping for all opinions and ideas so I can book things in advance if need be (and am not too late for it).

I will be the first to say that you dont have enough time in Bermuda. I have been there twice for a total of 6 days and still have not seen and done all that I would have liked.

From what you stated above this is what I would tell you to do though ...

1) As soon as you get off the ship, buy your bus and ferry passes (unless you are renting mopeds). Head straight out to Horseshoe Bay and get in a good swim and snorkel. This beach cant be missed!

2) Come back and grab a bite to eat and get cleaned up real quick.

3) If you want to take a tour, this would then be a good time to do one. I did the glass bottom and was not impressed though. The coral reef was not as bright and colorful as I imagined it. More like browns and reds. Your 3 year old would most likely enjoy the Zoo/Aquarium. Its very well done.

5) Come back and eat dinner. Head off to Hamilton for the shopping. Be sure to pick up one of the maps of the shops. It will be very helpful.

4) The day that you leave .. You would have time to head back to the beach for some parasailing or scuba diving and then spend the remainder of your day exploring Kings Wharf, the glass factory, and Clock Tower. That way you will be close to your ship at boarding time and dont have to worry about making it to the ship on time.

If you need more help, or want more suggestions I would be happy to answer back.

Do we get to Horseshoe Bay by bus? What will we use the ferry pass for and where will it take us?

Would we tour the island using a bus or a taxi or what? Is it worth it to tour the entire island? How long would that take?

Is Snorkel Park something for 3-year olds or for all of us to enjoy?

How do we get to Hamilton from the ship?

Is parasailing and scuba diving close to the Dockyards where we will be staying?

Thank you so much for an idea of our itinerary. I'm beginning to see it all unfold. I am a planner and am a bit ashamed I haven't done anything up until now.

Do we get to Horseshoe Bay by bus? What will we use the ferry pass for and where will it take us?

Would we tour the island using a bus or a taxi or what? Is it worth it to tour the entire island? How long would that take?

Is Snorkel Park something for 3-year olds or for all of us to enjoy?

How do we get to Hamilton from the ship?

Is parasailing and scuba diving close to the Dockyards where we will be staying?

Thank you so much for an idea of our itinerary. I'm beginning to see it all unfold. I am a planner and am a bit ashamed I haven't done anything up until now.

The bus and ferry pass are the same thing. You would take the bus to Horseshoe Bay and I find it easy and enjoyable to take the ferry to Hamilton. You get a whole other view of the island from the water. If its available you can also take the ferry to St George. You really dont need a lot of time there unless you want to swim at St Catherines or Tobacco Bay.

If you are in Hamilton, you can get a taxi tour of the island that would last about 2 hours. The driver will take you to places that you would not see in a bus (like Micheal Douglass and Ross Perots house). You can easily get one of these outside the cruise ship terminal.

I have never parasailed or scuba dived so maybe someone else can help you there.

Dont be ashamed about researching. Its a small island but there is a ton of stuff to do. I can see with your age range, you have a lot of interests to cover.

I will clarify the bus and ferry ...

The ferry stops in three major places - Kings Wharf ( where you ship will be) Hamilton, and St George. It does make more stops but they are not anywhere you will want to get off.

The bus runs the entire length of the island and is separated into three sections. The drivers and Bermudians are very helpful and will get you where you want to go. When you board a bus, just ask if the bus stops where you are headed and the driver will them tell you when to get off the bus.

http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=283&PageID=0

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Assuming the little one gets tuckered out by nine at night, can the older kids stay as late as they want without their parents? Can they just hang out late at night in Bermuda and come back on the cruise ship whenever they are done exploring the city?

Or is there not much night life for teenagers on Bermuda?

When we were docked in Hamilton (which is where the night lift is) I saw a lot of the younger crowd bar hopping on Front Street. My only statement to that will be, look at what happened to the young girl in Aruba. Please warn them ahead of time to be careful. My husband almost got pick pocketed our first night in Hamilton. Also, make sure they know what time the last bus or ferry comes back to Kings Wharf.

from what searching Ive done, I dont see Hartleys Helmet dive on your list of things to do, I yet to cruise, going in Sept. But heard the Helmet dive is something you dont want to miss

When we saw Snorkle Park we thought it would be good for all ages, becasue the youngers kids can be in an area just for them. I have no idea though if the snorkeling is good. We just got back Sat, but we had almost 4 full days to see things.

Although Horseshow Bay is gorgeous, so are many of the other beaches - all soft sand, and the water uis a beautiful color.

Just a note: the drinking age in Bermuda is 18, so your 17-year-old will be left out of the nightlife. If your 19-year-old wants to do the Hamilton nightlife thing just tell them to stick to Front Street and not go to the streets behind it (except if going to the bus terminal), as there are no clubs and there is a rough part in Hamilton that they shouldn't wander into.

from what searching Ive done, I dont see Hartleys Helmet dive on your list of things to do, I yet to cruise, going in Sept. But heard the Helmet dive is something you dont want to miss

I am wondering if helmet diving is better than scuba diving -- or perhaps it is easier since there isn't training involved like Scuba diving?

My 19-year old son and I are adventurous enough to try scuba diving. My DH wanted to try helmet diving, though. And how does parasailing fit into the picture? Is it worth it to try it? Does anyone know if there a lot of waiting for any of these particular activities?

Helmet dives ,whether it be reserved on your own or your ships excursion program should be done as soon as you know what you want to do. Im sure that goes for all excursions, But If I could afford to take the 4 of us on a scuba cert and dive excursion I would, But a price tag of some 500 bucks, well, lets say im frugal. Walmart snorkel stuff , and horshoe bay.. thats almost a free excursion to me...

Hi Bermudamama,

My husband and I took your cruise on May 15-20. You'll find an order form for the bus/ferry passes in your stateroom on the second day- they made it so easy! You have a choice of buying passes for one or two days. In either case, the adult pass is $10/day. I don't remember how much for the kids. Fill out the form and bring it to Customer Relations. We charged it to our seapass. The passes were ready for us before we left early on the first day in Bermuda (Tuesday). Here's what we did: Tuesday morning spent in the Dockyard, easily walkable. We saw the glassworks, craft market, some of the shops. We took at look in at the snorkel park. Free, and the beach is not much to look at, but friends said the snorkeling was very good. We didn't snorkel, it was too chilly yet. There's a snack shop and equipment rental there. Small, but with potential. The beach is not pink and not made for sunning, really. We hopped on a ferry to Hamilton around 11:30am. A lovely half-hour cruise, and you really get to see a lot of the beautiful shoreline and towns. Bermuda is gorgeous, I love it, but it is not your typical Caribbean island paradise. It is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Hamilton is a city, not a village. Be careful with letting the kids stay there alone at night. In Hamilton, we quickly shopped along Front Street, then followed a walking tour in the Frommer's Guide to see some parks (Victoria Park is lovely, not a bad place for a picnic) and walked some back main roads east (and uphill) to Fort Hamilton. Great place to see! Preserved cannons and lighted tunnels for the history buffs, beautiful formal gardens and a gorgeous rainforest-like garden that was built in the former moat! This place is free, and an absolute hidden gem. We walked back and took a bus back to Hamilton to sneak a peek at the beaches to decide for the next day. Use the links to the schedules that familycruzer gave you, also you can get schedules in the Dockyard. Shopping closes at 5pm in Hamilton. I think all the shops in the Dockyard are planning to stay open later during times that the Voyager is in port. We were the first trip, so they were still working that out. The next day, we took a bus to Horseshoe Bay. It's lovely, with extensive facilities (rentals, locker rooms, restaurant, etc.) but very crowded. We walked along the beach to the left a long way to find a relatively private spot to sun ourselves. There's large rocks along the way that you may have to navigate carefully in order to get to some of these coves. They ended up running a special bus back and forth from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay all day, hopefully they'll do that again for you guys. We didn't take any excursions, and weren't disappointed. We ate a delicious lunch on Tuesday in Hamilton at the Lobster Pot, all other meals on board.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for your help. You've given me some good ideas.

Did you make your way over to the other end of the island or hear of anyone who did?

Hi Bermudamama,

My husband and I took your cruise on May 15-20. You'll find an order form for the bus/ferry passes in your stateroom on the second day- they made it so easy! You have a choice of buying passes for one or two days. In either case, the adult pass is $10/day. I don't remember how much for the kids. Fill out the form and bring it to Customer Relations. We charged it to our seapass. The passes were ready for us before we left early on the first day in Bermuda (Tuesday). Here's what we did: Tuesday morning spent in the Dockyard, easily walkable. We saw the glassworks, craft market, some of the shops. We took at look in at the snorkel park. Free, and the beach is not much to look at, but friends said the snorkeling was very good. We didn't snorkel, it was too chilly yet. There's a snack shop and equipment rental there. Small, but with potential. The beach is not pink and not made for sunning, really. We hopped on a ferry to Hamilton around 11:30am. A lovely half-hour cruise, and you really get to see a lot of the beautiful shoreline and towns. Bermuda is gorgeous, I love it, but it is not your typical Caribbean island paradise. It is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Hamilton is a city, not a village. Be careful with letting the kids stay there alone at night. In Hamilton, we quickly shopped along Front Street, then followed a walking tour in the Frommer's Guide to see some parks (Victoria Park is lovely, not a bad place for a picnic) and walked some back main roads east (and uphill) to Fort Hamilton. Great place to see! Preserved cannons and lighted tunnels for the history buffs, beautiful formal gardens and a gorgeous rainforest-like garden that was built in the former moat! This place is free, and an absolute hidden gem. We walked back and took a bus back to Hamilton to sneak a peek at the beaches to decide for the next day. Use the links to the schedules that familycruzer gave you, also you can get schedules in the Dockyard. Shopping closes at 5pm in Hamilton. I think all the shops in the Dockyard are planning to stay open later during times that the Voyager is in port. We were the first trip, so they were still working that out. The next day, we took a bus to Horseshoe Bay. It's lovely, with extensive facilities (rentals, locker rooms, restaurant, etc.) but very crowded. We walked along the beach to the left a long way to find a relatively private spot to sun ourselves. There's large rocks along the way that you may have to navigate carefully in order to get to some of these coves. They ended up running a special bus back and forth from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay all day, hopefully they'll do that again for you guys. We didn't take any excursions, and weren't disappointed. We ate a delicious lunch on Tuesday in Hamilton at the Lobster Pot, all other meals on board.

Hope this helped!

We were on a cruise last year that spent two days at the Dockyard. There was a taxi strike, which caused serious overcrowding of the buses and made it difficult to get around. Instead of what would have been a long wait for a bus, we walked to the snorkel park and enjoyed it thoroughly. Our two daughters both snorkeled and said it was very good. While it can't compare with Horseshoe Bay, it was certainly very convenient.

Given the brief time that you will be in Bermuda and the somewhat limited bus service to the Dockyard (your ship is very big, the buses are fairly small) I'm not sure that you'll get full value from a multi-day pass.

Just a quick note, most Front Street stores stay open late Wednesday night because of Harbour night, I think they're open until 9.

Swizzle, when were there it seemed to me only some of the shops stayed open late. Less than when I was there last year. I wanted to get some perfume for my sister but that store and Crissons, I think, were both closed. This wasn't very later either, perhaps 7 pm? I didn't notice if they were open when we arrived at 6:30.

I know that Carole Holding was open and the ice cream place.

Calm seas,

Caroline

When I was thinking of stores I thought of Trimingham's, Smiths and the stores that sell T-shirts . . . etc. Never thought about Crissoms and that Perfume store - I guess it makes sense that the stores with the more expensive items wouldn't bother to stay open. Thanks for that update.

Yep Triminghams is(was) a landmark, opened it's doors sometime around 1840-1860. I don't know the exact date of closing but I think it's around the end of July. Maybe slightly later as the end of July is the Cup Match holiday.

How important was it? I expect once it finally closes the unemployment rate in Bermuda will immediately rise 1 or 2%.

Given the brief time that you will be in Bermuda and the somewhat limited bus service to the Dockyard (your ship is very big, the buses are fairly small) I'm not sure that you'll get full value from a multi-day pass.

The size of the Voyager and number of buses did not seem to pose any problem for us at all a month ago. We got a 2 day bus/ferry pass, worked well.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Take a taxi to Horseshoe Bay. There are five of you and they are metered. Otherwise you have a ten minute walk to the bus from where the ship docks (that little caboose train is $2/pp which takes you to the bus and the stores). Also when you get off the bus at Horseshoe Bay it is a long steep walk downhill, you won’t be sorry that you took the bus. Since you approach the beach from the West End of the Island you won’t hit the traffic you might leave from Hamilton. This is a very scenic drive.

While on the beach take a walk to the left and explore the beautiful rock formations and the secluded beach areas.

After the beaches take a taxi either sightseeing (is the kinds are not too tired). What were do and this may not appeal to your kids is to take the taxi to the near by Gibbs Hill Lighthouse which affords a view of the entire island. There is a very nice gift store with things you can only get there as well as a tea house serving a proper afternoon tea.

Or if you op to return after the Beach you may want to be dropped off in town by the clock tower. Visit the shops there – especially the branch of Trimminghams. Then you can walk over to the RUM CAKE FACTORY - a must (there is also a glass blowing factory adjacent to it). Then take the little train back to the ship.

2) Do not even consider the so called glass bottom boat tour. Is not a real glass bottom boat, just has a hole in the floor and you have to look down at least 10 feet and these small openings. We only saw some gray fish…

3) The other day take the Ferry to Hamilton in the morning which is great to walk around in. Or you can do this after a morning excursion. Although I prefer St Georges, there are no express ferry services and it takes and hour. The Hamilton Express takes 20 min.

4) I highly recommend Dolphin Quest Family Excursions.

Jeanne

Archived