Cirque Terre - excursion question

CCJack

We are considering the ship's Cirque Terre excursion (we are on NCL but I would supsect other cruise line excursions are similar). It notes that there is a boat ride between towns. Can someone comment on the length of that ride and size of boat... My wife gets see sick but can handle most ferries. How would this compare to the ferry between St. Johns and St. Thomas, as an example. She did OK on that, and that is about 40 minutes, but a large ferry.

thanks

By all means try to do this excursion. In 2006 when sailing on NCL Jewel our tour to Cirque Terre was cancelled because of a bicycle race at the time. However when sailing on Carnival Freedom of the Seas I had the tour booked and it was fantastic. Just hope for clear weather and calm seas. My wife does not do well in small water craft but she did survive this one. If the seas are rough you will have to go back by train to get to your bus. If the seas are calm then the commercial ferry will be used. Don't let your wife sit at the front of the boat. Water will splash up and you will get wet. You might have her take an inside seat where it will be more confortable. Attached is a picture from the tour going back on the small ferry. Tim

DSC00303.jpg.3841137ec5f22cdac618f616c0fdf795.jpg

Seas should be smooth at that time of the year . The ferry from Portovenere to Monterosso calling at Riamaggiore, Manarola, and Vernazza takes 70 minutes. From La Spezia to Portovenere add an extra 60 minutes .

Thanks for the great advice... We will be there 2nd week of June. So the ships bus takes you most of the way then you actually take the ferry several times, between the villages, is that correct? Or only once?

I did the Princess excursion so perhaps yours will be done differently. But we rode by bus to Manarola, got out and walked through the town, then walked along the "Path of Love" to Riomaggiore for time there. We caught the ferry there to Vernazza, spent time there, and back on the ferry to Monterosso for lunch. The bus was waiting there for us. We did not go to Corniglia.

Seas should be smooth at that time of the year . The ferry from Portovenere to Monterosso calling at Riamaggiore, Manarola, and Vernazza takes 70 minutes. From La Spezia to Portovenere add an extra 60 minutes .

Can I get a ferry from La Spezia to Portovenere or will I have to take the train.

Alex

I did the cinque terre excursion in 2007 with Celebrity and the NCL people were on the same ferry with us from LaSpezia to Riomaggiore which was not that long- maybe 15 minutes. Then we walked to Manarola and ferried to Vernazza and then ferried to Monterossa al Mare. It was not rough at all but getting on and off the ferries- the ferries sort of move around. So this is not an excursion for anyone with mobility issues.

Here is the description of the NCL excursion for 2013. It is slightly different now....http://www.ncl.com/excursions/search?Ntt=cinque+terre (as is the Celebrity one for 2013)

I did the cinque terre excursion in 2007 with Celebrity and the NCL people were on the same ferry with us from LaSpezia to Riomaggiore which was not that long- maybe 15 minutes. Then we walked to Manarola and ferried to Vernazza and then ferried to Monterossa al Mare. It was not rough at all but getting on and off the ferries- the ferries sort of move around. So this is not an excursion for anyone with mobility issues.

Here is the description of the NCL excursion for 2013. It is slightly different now....http://www.ncl.com/excursions/search?Ntt=cinque+terre (as is the Celebrity one for 2013)

Thanks for that. Might take the ferry rather than the train. We are going at the end of October

Alex

It is an urban bus P to Portovenere from La Spezia . It departs La Spezia at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour . Travel time is 30 minutes.

Catch the bus from stop P in La Spezia in Via Garabaldi near the intersection of Corso Cavour .

The Lovers Walk between Manarola and Riamaggiore was closed owing to landslip as at late 2012 .

• 3 weeks later...
It is an urban bus P to Portovenere from La Spezia . It departs La Spezia at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour . Travel time is 30 minutes.

Catch the bus from stop P in La Spezia in Via Garabaldi near the intersection of Corso Cavour .

The Lovers Walk between Manarola and Riamaggiore was closed owing to landslip as at late 2012 .

Thanks for that. I will look for details during the summer

Archived