Unfortunate chap getting bad advice

Grez

I've noticed this conversation on the Thomson blog -

Phil T says:03/02/2013 at 13:07

We’re booked on the Celebration 14-02-2013 Red Sea Magic.

Can you advise us our visa requirements for trips to Petra & Cairo Pramids;

Which is the best currency to take – is US dollars ok?

Thanks

Phil T

Elaine @Thomson says:03/02/2013 at 19:05

Hi Phil, A visa at Hurghada and Luxor airport is obligatory and is given to you by the local representatives at the airport. The charge for the visa is £13.00. UK and EU nationals travelling to Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab, Nuweiba and Taba resorts only, for a maximum of 14 days, do not require a visa prior to travelling as a free entry permission stamp will be granted upon arrival.

If you intend to travel outside of the above mentioned areas you must obtain a Visa. Visa’s are available at the airport from the resort representatives and cost £15. We recommend that you pay in cash and take the exact money.

For more information on Egyptian visas please visit this link http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/visas.php.

On the ship everything is in sterling, however I’d advise you to take the Egyptian pound for Egypt.

I hope the above information has clarified your query, however if I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope that you go on to have an enjoyable holiday.

Phil T says:03/02/2013 at 20:03

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the reply. So we’ll need a visa for the Pyramids trip: what about the Petra trip which is in Jordan please?

Phil

Elaine @Thomson says:04/02/2013 at 15:27

Hi Phil, Can I please check if you’ve booked any excursions through Thomson?

I have commented on how poor the information is from Thomson, but my comments are still awaiting moderation, even though Elaine has put another comment on after I posted.

She is potentially going to cost this chap a fair bit of hassle and money. There is no clear information given to his visa question, and there is no need for him to take Egyptian pounds. And I'm not sure what difference it makes whether or not he has booked Thomson excursions.

If somebody from the Thomson Social Media team is reading this, can you please interject urgently?

After several more pointless questions from Elaine,asking who he has booked excursions with (as if that matters!), the comments have all been deleted, along with mine saying what poor advice the guy was being given. This is the second time now that Thomson have deleted my comments from that blog, with no explanation given.

The chap has apparently been sent an e-mail. Hopefully this has got the correct information and he gets sorted. Not a great way to start your holiday.

I have corrected misinformation several times on the Thomson blog and have seen other posters do the same. In all fairness, if they are going to have a blog, then the people who are providing the answers to queries should be very well trained and are patently not.

Maybe the guys in the Thomson shops should stop trying to sell currency by saying it's the cheapest in town, buy now, we can't guarantee these rates.

I declined and said I'll shop round. First place I tried was cheaper, so was the second....

Archived