Reflection and the Alcoves

BigDaddy2002

First trip on Celebrity but it will definitely not be our last! We have been treated like VIPs from the minute we boarded. Have eaten at Murano and QSine for dinner so far. Both were terrific. QSine is an absolute MUST DO. the food was fantastic and the presentation was very entertaining. Possibly the most fun I've had in a restaurant on land or sea. We ate lunch at the Lawn Club Grill today (we are in San Juan today) and that was also wonderful. We will be back there tomorrow evening for dinner. Tonight it's Tuscan Grill.

After reading all of the constant negativity about the Alcoves I have to admit I was worried when I reserved them for the week before we boarded. All I had read was they were uncomfortable, poorly designed, and rarely used. Well today they are all booked and in full use. They are comfortably appointed and the service is outstanding. Our group if four couples rented two for the week and we all agree is was a great idea. No fighting over pool chairs or trying to arrange in advance where the group will meet up each day.

Arguing their relative value is a lot like arguing who has the correct favorite color. If you don't find them to be a value, don't reserve them. If you feel they block your view if the ocean in the relatively small area they occupy, cruise on the ships that don't have them. Celebrity seems to have hit a home run with the Alcoves. We will try to reserve them every time in the future.

Thanks to Marko, Jordan, Bailey, Regulas, Eliza, Andrea, Evika, and Cesar. You've made this cruise super and we are only on day 3!!

Thanks for posting your impressions of the Alcoves:D The 4 of us (2 couples) have our first Alcove booked on the Sihouette in June. We booked the first sea day and if we love it as much as I think we will, we will try and grab one for our only other sea day on this port intensive cruise. None of us do the "sun" anymore and being away from the crowds at the pool sounds wonderful. I know you can have them until 9pm - were there any events on the lawn at evening? I know sometimes they have jazz or strings in the evening.

can you reserve ahead of time and how?

You have to call X to book ahead of time. I listened to everyone on here who said the Alcoves are always empty and never used and it would be easy to book once on board. Mistake. Just called and of the 3 sea days on my cruise 2 of them were fully booked. :mad: I asked if they hold some back to book on board and was told no, that you have to book them ahead of time.

Booked for the one available day, not the day I wanted but it will have to do.

Maybe there will be cancellations.

BigDaddy, thank you for your report. Is there any Alcove we should request if given the option to do so, or are they pre-assigned?

Take good care of the ship, we'll be boarding in a few days.

Edited by HazyDavy

Thank you for the information! Can you please describe the amenities that are included? I believe I saw (on Celebrity's website) information about the use of an i-pad, bottled water, and special picnic style menus. Anything else? What is the menu like?

Hi all. I'll try to answer the questions as best as possible. I left my group around 6pm at our Alcoves. When I went back around 7:30, all were empty, although I don't think you were required to leave early. We are in San Juan until 10 pm tonight.

The Alcoves have iPod speakers that can also accommodate an iPad for music. The are of the lawn where the Alcoves are is isolated in between the Lawn Club Grill and the Aft Stack. You could hear music from other areas but it was never loud. The ambience is peaceful but not really sedate.

They have the ability to deliver you picnic baskets of food but we were told its the same food as in the ocean view cafe for free. You can easily walk a few steps to the Grill or the Porch for food too. Oddly, they are adamant that you cannot bring food from those restaurants to the Alcoves.

We had drink service all day but I'm not sure what was included as we all have the unlimited drink package.

And they do seem very popular on this sailing. Now I know why.

After reading all of the constant negativity about the Alcoves I have to admit I was worried when I reserved them for the week before we boarded. All I had read was they were uncomfortable, poorly designed, and rarely used.

That has never been a problem actually.

The problem is that public space has been converted into private cabanas area.

They took this space from 3000 passengers on a ship that suffers from open space deficiency and sold it to a few people who are willing to pay $$$.

No matter how these cabanas are designed, equipped or painted - they are ugly by definition.

That has never been a problem actually.

The problem is that public space has been converted into private cabanas area.

They took this space from 3000 passengers on a ship that suffers from open space deficiency and sold it to a few people who are willing to pay $$$.

No matter how these cabanas are designed, equipped or painted - they are ugly by definition.

Never thought I'd say it, but I have to agree with you:) I didn't understand all the negativity until I saw the Alcoves for myself and compared them to the lawn experience that we had enjoyed on Equinox and Eclipse. They are a blight on the landscape.

Edited by librarylady19

Interesting comment. Perhaps we are on a near empty sailing. Haven't noticed any lack of public space. In the small area occupied by the Alcoves, there is lots of open grass. There are also two oversized Adirondacks and 8 or 10 hammocks. None of that space was ever crowded. Perhaps the sheer hideousness of the Alcoves kept the otherwise crowded masses away.

The lawn you referenced (where the Adirondack chairs reside) was roped off the entire week of our recent Reflection cruise, thus limiting the usable lawn to 2 small areas on the port and starboard sides.

P1010335.jpg

The only time I saw that area open was once for the concert on the lawn. There was also a wedding party that paid to have a private party with DJ on the lawn one night:mad:

The baggo tournament was held on the stone pathway between the Art Studio and the LCG!

Edited by librarylady19

:)Thank you for posting this. I'm a bit of a romantic and these cabanas sounded nice so I booked these on both of the sea days on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise...THEN I READ THE REVIEWS.. I started doubting my choice. But I simply wanted a peaceful escape while being on such a port intensive cruise. You have made me feel much better about getting them.

Question: Do you get to choose which one you want? I would assume not. Is there a preferable location? Across from Lawn Club or at the other end? Did you do a picnic? if so was it worth it?:rolleyes:

+Thank you again!!:):):)

Doupa22,

We are booked on the 7 June 10 Night Mediterranean. I've gone online to book the Alcoves for our sea days but it basically says I need to wait until 2 months before sail date. How did you get yours booked so early?

I simply called Celebrity and the kindly added it to my invoice. I did this over a month ago and I sail May 17 which is very close to your date so I don't see why they wouldn't oblige your request as well. Also, somebody else on my cruise just booked the two sea days as well so I don't think its an anomaly :)

I simply called Celebrity and the kindly added it to my invoice. I did this over a month ago and I sail May 17 which is very close to your date so I don't see why they wouldn't oblige your request as well. Also, somebody else on my cruise just booked the two sea days as well so I don't think its an anomaly :)

Thank you so much for the information!:D

Princess has an area called The Sanctuary and they bring you fruit and cheese and drinks all day. You can also order from a menu to have service at your lounge chaise. Is this available?

Also if I remember right when I saw them on the Silhouette there were two chairs and two lounges. Does anyone have a photo?

Thanks. LOVE these boards!!!

Carol