Princess Cay: IS Snorkel Vest Mandatory??

ktpc2005

For those that have been to Princess Cay....

Is a snorkel vest mandatory to snorkel there?

Thanks

We were just there 20 January, and there IS a sign posted that states snorkel vests are mandatory. My DH followed the rules and wore one. That being said, I did see a few people snorkeling without them.

Perhaps, the rules have changed since I was there. We snorkelled right off the beach area (no excursion) and there were no requirements for snorkel vests (no vest offered, either).

I'm guessing that they may be required for excursions.

Perhaps, the rules have changed since I was there. We snorkelled right off the beach area (no excursion) and there were no requirements for snorkel vests (no vest offered, either).

I'm guessing that they may be required for excursions.

Princess requires that snorkel vests be worn on all excursions. They do not require that one inflate them, which allows experienced snorklers to dive down a ways.

On Princess Cays, one cannot rent snorkeling gear without getting a vest - it is part of a package they don't split. We use our own vest and snorkel, and have been unable to rent just fins in the past.

Use of a snorkel vest is a safety measure. I was on a Princess snorkel excursion in 2007 and vests weren't required. The oocean got rough and I ended up having to rescue swim an inexperienced snorkeler back to the dive boat. I was glad I had my own vest on and the person I assisted was more than glad. Be safe wear one.

At Princess Cayes, I have seen many people bring their own gear and not use a snorkel vest. The last few times there, my husband snorkeled there without a vest and this last January 2013 I saw people snorkeling without a vest.

That said, on excursions sponsered by Princess, a snorkel vest is usually mandatory.

If you have your own snorkel gear and want to buy a snorkel vest, there have been some good prices on ebay.

Princess requires that snorkel vests be worn on all excursions. They do not require that one inflate them, which allows experienced snorklers to dive down a ways.

On Princess Cays, one cannot rent snorkeling gear without getting a vest - it is part of a package they don't split. We use our own vest and snorkel, and have been unable to rent just fins in the past.

With us, we had our own gear and snorkelled right off the beach in shallow water- really didn't need a vest there.

I would never hesitate to use a vest if I was snorkeling off a boat or far away from the shore- just too risky.

Sometimes, I'll just hold onto them so they don't slow me down but I have it with me if I need it.

Archived