How difficult is it to jet ski?

earn

We are thinking about doing a jet ski trip in Cayman, but have never done it before! There is myself & husband (late 40s) and our sons aged 12 and 14. So I will need to drive. DH is confident, but I am a little nervous. Both boys are good canoeists, and club swimmers, so they will have a blast.

We have done stingray city before, and wouldn't mind doing it again, but have also seen a shorter trip along 7 mile beach. Have heard that getting out to the sandbank can be rough, and exhausting.

Any advice welcome.

We are thinking about doing a jet ski trip in Cayman, but have never done it before! There is myself & husband (late 40s) and our sons aged 12 and 14. So I will need to drive. DH is confident, but I am a little nervous. Both boys are good canoeists, and club swimmers, so they will have a blast.

We have done stingray city before, and wouldn't mind doing it again, but have also seen a shorter trip along 7 mile beach. Have heard that getting out to the sandbank can be rough, and exhausting.

Any advice welcome.

It is quite easy, essentially you get on the jetski, push the throttle and off you go. The only part that I had a bit of trouble with when I was starting out was getting back on after falling off. You have to balance your weight out or the jetski starts to lean to one side or the other. Once you figure that part out, it is a lot of fun.

Ah, I wasn't really expecting to fall off. Is that par for the course? To be honest I have never really liked the things since Kirsty McColl's accident.

I am sorry, I am not sure who that is. But as to your question about it being par for the course, it does happen. I would not say it is frequent, but it is something to be prepared for. If you stay aware of your surroundings, do not do anything terribly reckless, etc... you could very well not experience it at all. They are quite fun and in my opinion worth trying at least once.

Kirst MacColl was a fantastic singer who is probably most famous for 'Fairytale of New York', which she sang with The Pogues. It turns out my memory was wrong and she was actually killed by a speedboat not a jet ski, while diving off the coast of Cozumel with her two sons.

Kirst MacColl was a fantastic singer who is probably most famous for 'Fairytale of New York', which she sang with The Pogues. It turns out my memory was wrong and she was actually killed by a speedboat not a jet ski, while diving off the coast of Cozumel with her two sons.

Oh wow, that is sad. Hope you have a safe trip and fun, regardless of what adventure you choose.

We just did the Jet Ski excursion with Fat Fish Adventures and I must say it was the absolute best excursion possible! Stingray City is awesome but to combine it with a Jet Ski trip across crystal clear ocean waters put it way over the top, we even had an encounter with a curious dolphin! I highly recommend Fat Fish Adventures they were great and don’t worry about operating a Jet Ski as it is very easy and great fun. Ours was a group of nine ages 21 to 51 and all said it was the highlight of our cruise.

Archived