[quote name='cunardalltheway']We are avid cunard fans and always choose to sail the queens. Having said that our last (very last minute) adventure was on ruby princess, the first time we've sailed outside of cunard.
We are of the opinion that we will never again sail princess and amongst other reasons, mainly because of the arrogant Americans refusing point blank to adhere to any dress codes, choosing to stay in their staterooms on the formal nights because they don't want to get dressed for dinner.

Please please please cunard (Peter shanks) don't give in to the americanised carnival group and keep cunard as it is![/QUOTE]

How do you know they were Americans and not Canadians?

I can speak to a Canadian for an hour and not have a clue they are Canadian until they pronounce an "ou" as "oo", such as "I have to go [I]oot[/I] this evening." Or... "I don't know what that is [I]aboot[/I]".

I'm a Californian who speaks standard English, and Canadians sound more like me than someone from, say, Atlanta or Texas or Maine.....until they use that "oo" sound.

P.S. I just noticed that you are in Scotland. Maybe you don't notice the Canadian "oot" sound?

[quote name='cunardalltheway']
We are of the opinion that we will never again sail princess and amongst other reasons, mainly because of the arrogant Americans refusing point blank to adhere to any dress codes, choosing to stay in their staterooms on the formal nights because they don't want to get dressed for dinner.
[/QUOTE]

And how was it known that that was their reason for staying in their staterooms on certain nights?
Perhaps they were tired or ill or?

[quote name='eatsallinsects']And how was it known that that was their reason for staying in their staterooms on certain nights?
Perhaps they were tired or ill or?[/QUOTE]

Hi eatsallinsects, we were right next door to a pair of couples who moaned and begrudged the fact that they had to dress up to go out and as such would simply have room service.
Can I just add a small footnote also? I'm not usually as outspoken about fellow travellers nor other nationalities. It's just that they annoyed us no end on this particular cruise.

As for "how did I know they weren't Canadians" you're right, for the most part, the accents probably don't give it away too easily. I can confidently say though that the majority of cruisers aboard were indeed american. From the instantly recognisable twang of the southern states, to those who told you first off exactly where they were from.

[quote name='Oceans&Rivers'] To the snobby replies to my previous post, let me add a snobby one of my own:[/QUOTE]

Okay, let at it.

[quote name='Oceans&Rivers']We haven't ever taken a Carnival cruise (or NCL or Royal Caribbean) and don't plan to do so in the future. We started as a young couple cruising on Sitmar. We like nice ships. [COLOR="Red"]We do not feel we need to dress like waiters in order to be served in the main dining room.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Waiters don't dress like me. I wear a tux on formal nights, the waiters on Cunard ships wear uniforms. I will also add that I have never seen a waitress dressed like this:

[IMG]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-RPNXfTh/0/L/tumblr_m6q9feWqgT1qa2nzso1_1280-L.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Oceans&Rivers']Our most recent cruises have been on Oceania and Crystal.
[/QUOTE]

Oh you sound so wealthy. :rolleyes:

(I'm assuming that was the impression you're trying to convey).

[quote name='Oceans&Rivers']QM2, while not as zippy as in earlier years across the pond, is still faster than other ships and we would like to experience that. We would like to do a crossing to and later from Europe on QM2, and there are many others like us who will be happy to do so when the dress code does not absolutely [I]require[/I] us to pretend we are members of the cast of Downton Abbey (first season).[/QUOTE]

Well enjoy your 'country casual' elasticated-waistband cruises on Oceania and Crystal.

I'm assuming that's why you're so into 'country casual', it must be depressing putting so much time and effort in dressing formal..... for so little pay off. I understand why people in your situation would be reluctant to do so.

[quote name='Oceans&Rivers'] I would love it if Cunard would at least offer some cruises (in the summer) where we could enjoy the entire ship without having to don glittery-but-cheaply-made-in-China duds, as all the formal wear seems to be these days (even at some of our finer department stores).[/QUOTE]

And your country casual elasticated-waistband duds are hand sewn by Amish women using artisanal techniques passed down for generations?

LOL, those elasticated waistbands for your 'country casual' duds are made in China, just like everything else.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Whitemarsh']Okay, let at it.

Waiters don't dress like me. I wear a tux on formal nights, the waiters on Cunard ships wear uniforms. I will also add that I have never seen a waitress dressed like this:

[IMG]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-RPNXfTh/0/L/tumblr_m6q9feWqgT1qa2nzso1_1280-L.jpg[/IMG]

Oh you sound so wealthy. :rolleyes:

(I'm assuming that was the impression you're trying to convey).

Well enjoy your 'country casual' elasticated-waistband cruises on Oceania and Crystal.

I'm assuming that's why you're so into 'country casual', it must be depressing putting so much time and effort in dressing formal..... for so little pay off. I understand why people in your situation would be reluctant to do so.

And your country casual elasticated-waistband duds are hand sewn by Amish women using artisanal techniques passed down for generations?

LOL, those elasticated waistbands for your 'country casual' duds are made in China, just like everything else.[/QUOTE]

Man Whitemarsh you are certainly a hoot and I mean that only in friendly terms! I am one of those ugly Americans mentioned in these posts, only I have no trouble donning a tux for dinner, in fact quite the opposite, I look forward to it. If I want to dress "country casual" I can do that every day when I pop over to Home Depot for some fertilizer for my garden. Seriously, I have sailed on NCL and I quite enjoyed myself, walking around in my loud Hawaiian shirt, half looped on Bahama Mama's.:D. But on this crossing I'd like something a bit different. It's amazing to me how many people are desperate to drop standards to their own level. Just as long as THEY'RE comfortable, to hell and damn with everybody else. It's no wonder the world is headed to hell in a hand basket! This elegant/casual crap is just that. I suggest they build their imaginary French "cruise ship", get on board it and leave the QM2 to people who appreciate her. Sorry for the rant.:rolleyes:

Archived