Divorced Mother and her Child

lstiblier

...However, it is not that unusual on international air flights for one parent traveling without the other parent to be asked for proof ...

That is a good point for the OP

If for some unplanned reason there were any issues that would cause you to miss the ship when it departs a foreign port the letter could than become important. Because you would then be responsible for either catching up with the ship at the next port, or getting your way home.

A whole new set of rules apply at that point, although that does not happen often, you could look at it as an insurance policy just incase!

I don't care what anyone says here. The legal guardian of a child can take that child cruising without permission from anyone. As long as there is no question that the adult is the parent no one will stop them. It is ridiculous to claim a mother would need permission from the father to sail.

You are 100% wrong. I have been dealing with this issue for many years. What you "feel" should be right is meaningless. You cannot provide anecdotal evidence to assure people they will never have a problem with this. Cruiseline representatives are not immigration officials, and I have often found they give totally incorrect information. I would never trust what a cruiseline employee told me on the phone in regard to necessary travel documentation.

Enty/exit requirements may not be the same for all countries. You may not be asked for documentation for 20 trips to the same country, but if you are asked on the 21st trip, and you don't have it, you will be denied boarding.

If the other parent is deceased, you must bring the death certificate. If there is only one parent on the birth certificate, you must bring the birth certificate. If you have paperwork from the court, giving you the right to take the child out-of-the county without written permission from the other parent, you must bring that.

A passport alone does not mean you have the other parent's permission to leave the country. If the other parent retains rights, you need that notarized Permission to Travel letter. Just because you have the same last name as the child is meaningless if immigration wants to push the issue.

Two of the worst countries for requiring this documentation, in my personal experience, are Canada and Mexico. Try and get on a flight to Mexico without having it. Odds are, you will be denied boarding.

I took my daughter on a cruise last year and struggled with this issue....not sure what to expect or what to do. In my situation, my daughter's father is not in her life and is nowhere to be found. When I applied for her passport, they told me I needed a notarized letter from her father giving me permission to get her a passport. Well....that's impossible since we don't even know where he is. We were sailing with Norwegian last year (which I will never do again by the way). Since my daughter was only 10 at the time.....she was only required to show a birth certificate and a passport was not required. This was "thing #1" that saved us. Then, "thing #2" was that Norwegian had a policy that it was not necessary to get the other parent's permission as long as it was a "closed loop" sailing - meaning it started and ended in the same place.

I feel horrible for my daugher because I have no way of getting her a passport until she is of age to only need one parent's signature (16). That's four years from now! I could go to court and see if a judge would grant me permission to obtain one for her (and I believe they would), but it's just the thought of jumping through all of the hoops, ya know?

I feel horrible for my daugher because I have no way of getting her a passport until she is of age to only need one parent's signature (16). That's four years from now! I could go to court and see if a judge would grant me permission to obtain one for her (and I believe they would), but it's just the thought of jumping through all of the hoops, ya know?

No, there's another way, and it's very simple. No court intervention needed. You'll just need to submit Form DS 3053:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

I am taking a RCCL trip in 4 weeks. I am divorced and have changed

my name back so my DD and I have different last names. I have custody

but I am a little nervous because of the different last names.

I printed out a copy of the RCCL policy where it says all I need is

her birth certificate showing my name. I may bring a copy of my

divorce decree too - altho it is sooo long, to show custody just to be sure.

My ex would never cooperate enough to give me a letter so thats out.

Hopefully all will go fine. She is 16 now and hopefully that will be in

our favor.

No, there's another way, and it's very simple. No court intervention needed. You'll just need to submit Form DS 3053:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

The passport officials contacted me and told me to fill out the form. I filled it out and supplied them with a multi-page document showing where I have filed for child support, etc and that he never appears and never will supply an address. I had actual court document copies showing how many times he was a "no show" and the passport officials told me it was insufficient information! I don't know what more I could supply them with if court documents aren't sufficient. It was a very stressful and trying process that resulted in nothing. I couldn't believe it!

Yes, family law is very frustrating and unfair. People who have not been involved in the system just don't understand it. I don't know why your application was rejected.

All I can tell you is almost every court will have a free family law advisor. You can make an appt. to speak with them how to either get a court order allowing to you obtain a passport or how to get a court order allowing you to take your child out of the country w/o the other parent's permission.

Good luck.

Ask 10 people here and you will get 10 varying answers. If mom has sole custody, then technically custody papers are all that are necessary to bring (in addition to the passport).
This is why CC is a bad place to get answers to questions like this. My son who has sole custody of his 6 year old daughter can not take her out of state with out his ex's permission.

This is why CC is a bad place to get answers to questions like this. My son who has sole custody of his 6 year old daughter can not take her out of state with out his ex's permission.

Yes, the term "sole custody" means different things in different states. It doesn't usually mean other parent has no rights.

Archived