Can I snorkel?

dcedar

Snorkling is easy but could be intimidating if you do not ease your way into getting used to breathing. I have taught many people how to snorkel and the two biggest things to learn is to breath only through you mouth and how to clear your snorkel if water gets in the snorkel.

Breathing - it takes a couple of tries to just breathe from your mouth. Best way to do this is to relax and inhale slowly and exhale slowly.

Clearing the snorkel - take a slow deep breath to prevent the water from going into your mouth and blow in a short forceful manner kind of like blowing out candles.

I suggest you buy a mask and snorkel and practice little by little before your big vacation. Most of the time you just float around with face in the water with no exursion.

You need a regular face mask, which will cover your nose so you do not have to pinch your nostrils.

Yes, you can snorkel! JCJR has given you some excellent advice, particularly about practicing before you go as you don't want to be worrying all about it up to the time you get in the water.

Two more important things about a successful snorkeling outing are: 1) having a mask that fits properly and 2) having a mask that isn't fogged up. The following website has some GREAT information on how to make sure your mask fits properly. I don't think this website mentions keeping the strap of the mask high on the back of your head, but that's important. That provides a much better fit than putting the strap straight across the back of your head. http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/snorkeling_masks.html

The website also talks about using chemicals to de-fog your mask, but ignore that. The best tip I got about keeping a clear mask comes from the crew of every snorkel boat I've been on in Australia--and I've been on a lot of them. The tip is to use good, old-fashioned spit. Before you get in the water, spit into your mask. Use your finger to spread the spit all over your mask. Then rinse the mask in the sea water and put it on. I have never had a problem with fogging when I used spit. (And you aren't introducing any chemicals into the water!)

Have fun snorkeling--it's amazing!

Thanks so much for the replies! I don't think I will be doing it this trip as we leave tomorrow but it is something I will learn to do before my next cruise:)

I know it is something I will love if I can just learn to do it:)

Archived