Charleston, SC Embarkation Time

hooforce

I was just browsing the Port of Charleston website for all the cruise information (we are cruising from there on 18 February) and I noticed in the Q & A section, the time for check-in:

"What are the hours for check-in?

Vehicles and luggage will be accepted at Union Pier Terminal

between the hours of 12:00 noon and 3:00 p.m. on sailing

day"

Is this accurate?:eek: Most of the time at other ports I can get to the port at 10:30 and be on the ship by 11:30 at the latest. Those who have cruised out of Charleston, what has been your experience?

You don't say, but it sounds like you'll be driving to Charleston. Someone else who's been there more recently than I have can probably give a more up to date answer.

Two years ago the cars were lining up well before noon to be ready to enter the parking areas once the gates were opened. But, yes, if my memory is right, you can't actually park until that time.

You don't say, but it sounds like you'll be driving to Charleston. Someone else who's been there more recently than I have can probably give a more up to date answer.

Two years ago the cars were lining up well before noon to be ready to enter the parking areas once the gates were opened. But, yes, if my memory is right, you can't actually park until that time.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like embarkation and debarkation in Charleston is going to be interesting to say the least. Sounds like it's a very squeeky process that needs a lot of grease! Waiting in a line to park sounds absolutely ridiculous...and you have to pay $17 to park there! Obviously, this is my first time cruising out of Charleston, but it also may be my last. :(

Thanks for the response. Sounds like embarkation and debarkation in Charleston is going to be interesting to say the least. Sounds like it's a very squeeky process that needs a lot of grease! Waiting in a line to park sounds absolutely ridiculous...and you have to pay $17 to park there! Obviously, this is my first time cruising out of Charleston, but it also may be my last. :(

I've only cruised out of Charleston twice. The terminal is old, and my understanding is that there are plans to build a new one, but those plans have been caught up in a lot of controversy. Again, others could tell you far more than I can.

The second time I cruised out of Charleston I went alone. I was living in the NC mountains at the time and drove down the night before and stayed at a hotel that had a Park and Cruise program. I don't remember the cost, but it was much less than parking at the terminal, and I was taken by shuttle so avoided the hassle of waiting in a line of cars.

The cost is per day correct. I've cruised out of there but was several years ago. On the NCL board port authority was called the "port ****" they run a very tight grid

Yes, $17 is per day. Yeah, I'm not too excited about sailing out of Charleston now. I was completely unaware of the port situation there until this week...unbelievable! :eek: It doesn't sound good, to say the least.

Archived