Dream Cruise - Just returned

Just had a great week on the Dream on Latin Gems. Hope to post my review shortly.

I just cannot understand why Thomson's dont go for a new ship rather than leasing old ships. Dont get me wrong we have sailed on the Spirit, Destiny and now the Dream and had a great time on each. However, They dont own the ships or the staff so must pay major leasing costs along with refurbishment costs every so often.

Given the obvious interest in the Thomson product imagine the excitment and demand to sail on a new Thomson ship! Other cruise lines seem to manage a whole fleet of new ships without the backup infrastructure like their own airline etc.

I do enjoy the whole experience with Thomson's but still feel that it might be becoming a bit expensive now bearing in mind the age of the ships. I notice that this summer the Dream is sailing the med. The price is currently £991 to visit Sicily, Italy and Spain. We are taking my daughter and sister in law as a special treat but the cost is too high even though we wanted them to try the Thomson cruise. Instead we are travelling with an american cruise liner in summer for about £800 each and the ship is only 6 years old! The cruise is also taking in Croatia Turkey and Greece

Just had a great week on the Dream on Latin Gems. Hope to post my review shortly.

I just cannot understand why Thomson's dont go for a new ship rather than leasing old ships. Dont get me wrong we have sailed on the Spirit, Destiny and now the Dream and had a great time on each. However, They dont own the ships or the staff so must pay major leasing costs along with refurbishment costs every so often.

Given the obvious interest in the Thomson product imagine the excitment and demand to sail on a new Thomson ship! Other cruise lines seem to manage a whole fleet of new ships without the backup infrastructure like their own airline etc.

I do enjoy the whole experience with Thomson's but still feel that it might be becoming a bit expensive now bearing in mind the age of the ships. I notice that this summer the Dream is sailing the med. The price is currently £991 to visit Sicily, Italy and Spain. We are taking my daughter and sister in law as a special treat but the cost is too high even though we wanted them to try the Thomson cruise. Instead we are travelling with an american cruise liner in summer for about £800 each and the ship is only 6 years old! The cruise is also taking in Croatia Turkey and Greece

I think the increasing prices recently and the age of Thomson's ships is going to have a HUGE impact soon on the demand for their product, more than they probably realise. I think the main reason they lease everything instead of owning is back down again to the feeling that Thomson Cruises is just a small part of the main package holiday operation.

Comparing it to other similar companies, like TUI Cruises being part of the main TUI package operator in Germany, it is owned 50% by Royal Caribbean. Perhaps, if new ships are going to happen like with TUI, Thomson Cruises needs to be owned 50% by one of the big 3 perhaps? Would make brand new ships more of a possibility and they could easily transfer a newer and better second-hand refurbed ship to us, like RCL did with Celebrity Cruises ships to TUI and to Island Cruises with Island Star (IMO a much superior vessel to IE). The worry would be if that happened, we'd lose some of the essences of Thomson that we all love.

Was pricing up a cruise with Celebrity before for June. A 12 night Adriatic and Italy cruise on its newest ship with a balcony, flights and transfers came to £3,500. A similar cruise on Thomson Majesty for 14 nights for an outside plus cabin was £3,700!!!!!! Yes, you get 2 more nights on the Thomson Cruise, but considering you get a balcony and Celebrity is considered as a Premium line, Thomson really need to be careful not to price themselves out of the emarket. If they want to charge the full price that they do, I think newer ships has got to be the only way, and soon, and this also comes from someone who has taken many Thomson Cruises and loved and enjoyed them all.

Hi sailaway, I agree they are pricing themselves out of the market, such a shame and even though we could all book onto a newer bigger ship with one of the big names we stay because we like the Thomson atmosphere etc etc and we are often paying over the odds to do so IMO.

However the thing that often annoys me are the people that book celebrity P&O etc often for less money than a Thomson cruise but still look down their nose at you like the poor relation when you say you have booked Thomson .

Ive even had a pitying look once and a " well one day youl go on a celebrity cruise too, youl get there eventually "patronising talk from a friend! Cheek!

It's all down to personal choice though isn't it and we do prefer Thomsons just not sure we will keep paying premium prices unless they invest and offer better value as when you look round and compare I'm afraid it doesn't look that good a deal at all to stay and be loyal to Thomson. :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Of course, the other main atraction to Thomson Cruises is the flights are (generally) also Thomson, so if there is ever a problem (like the snow), it gets sorted.

I remember our first cruise, Christmas 2009, very snowy, out plane was 3 hours late leaving Birmingham, but it left, and a few other planes later than that, but the ship stayed put until we all arrived. 1 unlucky plane didn't get out of Manchester, they were all offered a full refund, or they could come back 2 days later and they would be flown out to Martinique (our first stop after sea day), and get 50% refund, most took the second option.

Having never tried any of these other cruise lines, what happens if the plane is delayed or cancelled, do they bend over backwards as much (especially as they probably don't even have representatives in the airport like Thomson)?

I remember our first cruise, Christmas 2009, very snowy, out plane was 3 hours late leaving Birmingham, but it left, and a few other planes later than that, but the ship stayed put until we all arrived. 1 unlucky plane didn't get out of Manchester, they were all offered a full refund, or they could come back 2 days later and they would be flown out to Martinique (our first stop after sea day), and get 50% refund, most took the second option.

I remember this also, we were on that cruise, it was the destiny, we got away (gatwick) just before they closed the airport.... Manchester flight finally arrived in martinique 2 days later

I was just going to say that we must remember that Thomson prices include the flight out to join the ships whereas the flights are extra on most others,,,well thats what I've found as I've been researching cruises! For me personally it's a big plus point that you get straight to your cruising area without having to spend days at sea before you reach your first port of call. I wouldn't take any notice of those folks that belittle your choice of holiday or cruise or whatever,,,some just like to show off and think they are a cut above others, ignore them and walk away.

I was just comparing to P&O and RCI really, i really prefer flying out to the sun instead of a 5 hour car journey to Southampton which is a real drag, we have done a RCI fly cruise too which was ok but from landing to getting on the ship took 5 hours, such a faff, on the last day even though we didnt fly till 6.00pm we had to leave the ship at 8.00am, felt like an un-wanted guest really. :(

RCi and P&O ships are lovely but its the atmosphere on Thomsons that is the real winner but even taking the price of the flights off they can still come out quite pricey , mind you it is so conveiient isnt it and so many local airports makes it more relaxed and they do do a fly cruise better than the rest i agree and def look after you when things go wrong i just hope they keep the prices in check a bit. ;)

You can book a Caribbean P&O fly cruise with a balcony for same price as a Thomson outside cabin and as soon as gets towards sailing date P&O win hands down with their late deals.:D

............. I wouldn't take any notice of those folks that belittle your choice of holiday or cruise or whatever,,,some just like to show off and think they are a cut above others, ignore them and walk away.

Yes your right cappers just annoys me, i do try to stay cool and collected tho ! ;)

I remember this also, we were on that cruise, it was the destiny, we got away (gatwick) just before they closed the airport.... Manchester flight finally arrived in martinique 2 days later

We must have been on the same cruise then, it was our first one :D

Remember Martinique being so hot that day as well.

We must have been on the same cruise then, it was our first one :D

Remember Martinique being so hot that day as well.

yes I remember, it was hot that day...especially compared to the temp in UK at that time....one of the hottest days that I remember in the caribbean, I believe it was about 35c!:eek::)

we took a water taxi/small ferry? to a beach somewhere?....the beach was lovely...stunning views...nice resort there.....we enjoyed a baguette with camembert cheese on the beach (not something you would normally associate with the Caribbean) I struggled somewhat with the french language (it was like something out of only fools & horses):o:D

also remember the great deck sailaway/bbq parties in the afternoons....I remember one sailout party involved the (I think?) ventura which was parked alongside...where their passengers joined in with our entertainment.....they don’t seem to do entertainment like that on the dream nowadays??:(

........................ also remember the great deck sailaway/bbq parties in the afternoons....I remember one sailout party involved the (I think?) ventura which was parked alongside...where their passengers joined in with our entertainment.....they don’t seem to do entertainment like that on the dream nowadays??:(

I was just regretting deciding on Aegean for 2014 after reading that gepmagot, we have put Caribbean on back burner for 2-3 years as our budget isn’t that high without quite a struggle, you know no meat for a few weeks etc... :( haha anyone feeling sorry for me yet ...?? no ? :rolleyes:

Does sound idyllic really want to go but to book in advance not so many bargains really and like i said on my thread about 2014 it seems a good idea to wait for a bargain but i panic , decisions decisions …. :confused:

Apparently P&O have stopped having the steel bands on board in the Caribbean and at port side etc, saw it when we were due to go to Caribbean on Ventura last year on the P&O board ( had to cancel ) :(

Will I regret waiting?? Is it worth the extra toil?? :confused:

I was just regretting deciding on Aegean for 2014 after reading that gepmagot, we have put Caribbean on back burner for 2-3 years as our budget isn’t that high without quite a struggle, you know no meat for a few weeks etc... :( haha anyone feeling sorry for me yet ...?? no ? :rolleyes:

Does sound idyllic really want to go but to book in advance not so many bargains really and like i said on my thread about 2014 it seems a good idea to wait for a bargain but i panic , decisions decisions …. :confused:

Apparently P&O have stopped having the steel bands on board in the Caribbean and at port side etc, saw it when we were due to go to Caribbean on Ventura last year on the P&O board ( had to cancel ) :(

Will I regret waiting?? Is it worth the extra toil?? :confused:

P&O Ventura January 2014 £1549 in an inside including flights 14 nights, Vicki

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn ,

Think that’s about what we paid for a balcony for Nov 2102 but was trans out/fly back.

Our friends booked at last min for oct/nov 12 on Azura, 3 weeks inside cabin £899!!!! :D

Ive really got to get my head around waiting it out especially as we have got this £200 on our peninsular account with P&O to use towards any cruise before Nov 14 ( can sail after as long as booked by NOV 14) can be used on late deal or short break cruise too (got that in writing) so really we are daft not to just wait it out and go to Caribbean with them winter 14/15.

Its just i know as soon as Thomson’s bring out the summer 2014 prices i will want to book a cruise & stay for Aegean for summer 14 and we def cant have both. :confused:

If i book the thoms only other option is to use the £200 towards a cheapie 3 nighter with P&O then do a late Caribbean in 15/16.

What do you think Berwyn?? :confused:

I used to be indecisive but now im not so sure ........ haha :rolleyes::rolleyes:

also remember the great deck sailaway/bbq parties in the afternoons....I remember one sailout party involved the (I think?) ventura which was parked alongside...where their passengers joined in with our entertainment.....they don’t seem to do entertainment like that on the dream nowadays??:(

Think that was our last sail out, from Road Town on the Virgin Islands?

Think we left quite early that day, and this big ship towering over us, surprised it didn't topple over with everyone clambering onto our side to watch us out as we all sang and danced, and give is all a wave goodbye.

In fact, i have a feeling i video'd that, gonna have to go look for it now.

Our first cruise, and probably our best, what more can you say than Destiny and Sky Bar :D

Hi Berwyn ,

Think that’s about what we paid for a balcony for Nov 2102 but was trans out/fly back.

Our friends booked at last min for oct/nov 12 on Azura, 3 weeks inside cabin £899!!!! :D

Ive really got to get my head around waiting it out especially as we have got this £200 on our peninsular account with P&O to use towards any cruise before Nov 14 ( can sail after as long as booked by NOV 14) can be used on late deal or short break cruise too (got that in writing) so really we are daft not to just wait it out and go to Caribbean with them winter 14/15.

Its just i know as soon as Thomson’s bring out the summer 2014 prices i will want to book a cruise & stay for Aegean for summer 14 and we def cant have both. :confused:

If i book the thoms only other option is to use the £200 towards a cheapie 3 nighter with P&O then do a late Caribbean in 15/16.

What do you think Berwyn?? :confused:

I used to be indecisive but now im not so sure ........ haha :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ROFL Vicki, :D

I've never seen the point of these 2 and 3 night cruises, I'd rather have a proper full week or fortnight. If it was us, we'd go for the Caribbean when you can. We have done Aegean twice now and would like somewhere different. I know we're doing Western Med again in May for 2 weeks, but apart from Rome, Livorno and Barcelona all the other ports will be new to us.

Berwyn

I agree about the Thomson happy atmosphere,,definately more relaxed and people talk to you normally,,"ayup me duck,,lovely day" etc! I love the sailaway party,,I have the most hilarious photo of me doing gangnam style on our little jaunt on Azura..it's so me,,I look hideous and ridiculous but I had such good fun! I don't give a mare's anus what folks think about me:D:D

I agree about the Thomson happy atmosphere,,definately more relaxed and people talk to you normally,,"ayup me duck,,lovely day" etc! I love the sailaway party,,I have the most hilarious photo of me doing gangnam style on our little jaunt on Azura..it's so me,,I look hideous and ridiculous but I had such good fun! I don't give a mare's anus what folks think about me:D:D

You sound fab Cappers, wish you were on our next one! :D:D

I have been tracking the P&O cruise that is similar to the Thomson one we have booked for 17th Feb. Only today has it become £170 cheaper than we paid for the Thomson cruise, before this it has either been very similar or dearer.

Also P&O have 4 sea days instead of 2, and we have done most of the islands, this and the Thomson atmosphere swung it for us.

Think that was our last sail out, from Road Town on the Virgin Islands?

Think we left quite early that day, and this big ship towering over us, surprised it didn't topple over with everyone clambering onto our side to watch us out as we all sang and danced, and give is all a wave goodbye.

In fact, i have a feeling i video'd that, gonna have to go look for it now.

Our first cruise, and probably our best, what more can you say than Destiny and Sky Bar :D

Yep...it was tortola....wasnt that just a great party:cool:

sail.jpg

[/url]

and yep...thats the ventura alongside

ventura.jpg

Why have they stopped the deck entertainment then does anyone know?

Also anyone done caribbean on both Thomson and P&O and which did they prefer?:)

post on other site

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/pando-cruises/azura/read_review_79500/?utm_source=040213&utm_medium=bulletin&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=reviews

Stevie

makes you think :cool:

Archived