What do we do for a day around Ephesus?

If you're going to Ephesus to see the Terrace Houses, you could also visit the nice museum at Selcuk where many of the items found at Ephesus (and other surrounding sites) are displayed.

The three interesting ancient sites of Priene, Miletus and Didyma are in the opposite direction, but Priene is the least far (and very picturesque, although a bit of a steep climb up to the hilltop), if you are interested in adding another set of ruins.

Or I suppose you could wander about Kusadasi, do some shopping and enjoy a nice meal -- perhaps some mezzes, fresh grilled fish and some cold local (Efes) beer.

Or I suppose you could wander about Kusadasi, do some shopping and enjoy a nice meal -- perhaps some mezzes, fresh grilled fish and some cold local (Efes) beer.

Ok Cynthia, now you have gotten me hungry !!! We had an AMAZING meal last time we were there !!!! They brought out a platter (HUGE) filled with wonderful yummy stuff for the 4 of us. We may just go back to that place again !!!

I understand there is a market/bazaar there? Anyone been? Worth going? Can you walk from the ship?

Yes, you can walk there from the ship and there are also stores right near the dock.The market is quite large,and I found it interesting...lots of stuff.Enjoy.

Thank you for info- you don't know anything about turkish baths do you?

Sorry, no if you are asking me. there is some info on this board if you search through some pages and you can always Google.Enjoy your visit there.Good restos by the port too.

Is there a nice beach in Kusadasi where we could go to after our a half day tour of Ephesus?

You can take a minibus passing in front of the cruise terminal heading west to Ladies Beach. Fare is 5 TL I think.

Ok Cynthia, now you have gotten me hungry !!! We had an AMAZING meal last time we were there !!!! They brought out a platter (HUGE) filled with wonderful yummy stuff for the 4 of us. We may just go back to that place again !!!

OK, now YOU can't drop a nugget about a great meal without sharing the place. Was it some random place your guide took you or a place you found on your own? What was the name?

OK, now YOU can't drop a nugget about a great meal without sharing the place. Was it some random place your guide took you or a place you found on your own? What was the name?

HaHa, sorry ....... we stopped there on our way back to the ship with our guide and driver from Ekol Tours. We told them we wanted some good Turkish food.

I do not have a clue of the name. Sorry. But it was up on a hill and looked sort of like a diner. Small and we were the only ones there. The owner brought out a huge platter that was truly a work of art...... filled with yummo stuff ! We didn't even go to dinner that night on the ship we were so stuffed !

I MAY have a picture - will look and see.

My husband and I did the entire Ephesus tour including Mary's House, St. John 's Church, Temple of Artemis. We did not do the Terrace Houses and are planning on doing that this time what are other recommendations for the rest of the day?

You could do a combined tour with a visit to Sirince afterwards. Because you do not have to spend too long at Ephesus, you would be able to spend an unrushed time in this village which has a bit of shade, great bazaar shopping and where time has stand still re streets and buildings. Can also recommend to visit the jewellery shop of Dimitri (known from who made the jewellery for the film Troy). I had read about this shop here on Cruise Critic and by chance came across it and have now a lovely ring designed by him for a very reaonable price.

We only had one hour there on a tour, but would have loved to spend at least three hours there and also to have lunch at the restaurant that overlooks the mountains.

• 2 months later...
You could do a combined tour with a visit to Sirince afterwards. Because you do not have to spend too long at Ephesus, you would be able to spend an unrushed time in this village which has a bit of shade, great bazaar shopping and where time has stand still re streets and buildings. Can also recommend to visit the jewellery shop of Dimitri (known from who made the jewellery for the film Troy). I had read about this shop here on Cruise Critic and by chance came across it and have now a lovely ring designed by him for a very reaonable price.

We only had one hour there on a tour, but would have loved to spend at least three hours there and also to have lunch at the restaurant that overlooks the mountains.

I know this post is a couple months old but I wanted to ask about Sirince. We are going to be in Ephesus in about three weeks. We have the Ephesus tour booked and I am thinking of adding Sirince to it, $10 extra US per person, $40. We will be in port 10 hours. I am thinking we will have plenty of time. Do you feel like it is a good addition to add? I'm sure my granddaughters will be tired of broken down buildings by this time :) I lived in Greece when I was 15, a looong time ago....1974. The pictures remind me of the village where we lived.

Also about the silver jewelry. I know price is a very relative thing. You said reasonable, would that be $50 reasonable or $200 reasonable? Just a broad guess. I am taking granddaughters with us so I need to know how much cash I need to have on hand. Also did you pay in Turkish Lira or Euro???? Thank you!

I know this post is a couple months old but I wanted to ask about Sirince. We are going to be in Ephesus in about three weeks. We have the Ephesus tour booked and I am thinking of adding Sirince to it, $10 extra US per person, $40. We will be in port 10 hours. I am thinking we will have plenty of time. Do you feel like it is a good addition to add? I'm sure my granddaughters will be tired of broken down buildings by this time :) I lived in Greece when I was 15, a looong time ago....1974. The pictures remind me of the village where we lived.

Also about the silver jewelry. I know price is a very relative thing. You said reasonable, would that be $50 reasonable or $200 reasonable? Just a broad guess. I am taking granddaughters with us so I need to know how much cash I need to have on hand. Also did you pay in Turkish Lira or Euro???? Thank you!

I have posted many times about Demitrius' jewelry shop in Sirince. Have shopped there twice and bought items both times. He will have items in all price ranges. He will take credit cards too (we used Mastercard) as well as lira or euro. They are all one of a kind unique pieces.

http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetail_getNewsById.action?load=detay&link=164657

I have posted many times about Demitrius' jewelry shop in Sirince. Have shopped there twice and bought items both times. He will have items in all price ranges. He will take credit cards too (we used Mastercard) as well as lira or euro. They are all one of a kind unique pieces.

http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetail_getNewsById.action?load=detay&link=164657

Thank you for the reply! I booked the tour. I am really looking forward to it. I will look for the jewelry store and see what i can find. Also, thanks for the info on the credit cards. Today is the first time I saw this village in any of the reviews, I am glad I did.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, for the late answer;). Might still catch you before you go. I paid 150 euro in euro for the ring, but I am sure it is at least $200 euro worth. People always comment me how lovely the ring is. I find it kind of special, outside the stone is brown and turns green when inside or yellow under neon light.

Archived