Which airport for Galveston sailings

Tinkers70

Hi everyone :)

I've just noticed today the Carnival Magic has got the dates available for our cruise for Sept / Oct 2014 and i'm really wanting to book just now as we want to do a B2B

She is sailing out of Galveston next year but what would be the closest airport to the port for us? We'll be flying in from the UK. I noticed that Houston airport is approx 60 miles away, is there a closer airport to the port where United fly into as we'll probably fly indirect via Newark

We flew into Houston Hobby not Houston International. It is about an hour or so drive from the Hobby airport. This is the main reason I will not go out of Galveston again. Waiting for someone to start sailing out of the Houston Port.

Thanks everyone, i'll price up some flights from over here in Scotland based on October prices for this year.

I'm undecided on wether to wait for the Dream and Breeze sailings for 2014 to be announced or wether to book the Magic just now. Will speak with hubby tonight

I just want to book my next cruise.....hate waiting :D

We have cruised out of Galveston twice and loved it. The first cruise, we took a shuttle to and from the cruise and it worked out fine. The second time we flew into Hobby, rented a car, drove to Galveston, spent the night, and dropped off the car in the morning. Rented a car again going back to Hobby. Worked out great!

2 airports in Houston. IAH - Bush Intercontinental Airport - about 25 miles North of Downtown Houston. International flights and connections to most major airlines. HOU - Hobby Airport - about 10 miles South of Downtown Houston. Mostly domestic flights - primariy tenent is SouthWest Airlines.

There would be shuttle services from both airports to Galveston. IAH is easily 2 1/2 hours while Hobby is easily 1 1/2 hours from Galveston.

One would strongly recommend traveling into Houston / Galveston a day (or so) before departure - I would NOT recommend same day arrival with enough time to get to the ship.

Outbound - a late evening departure from Houston is possible.

There are plenty of things to see and do in Houston - but a not to miss destination would be the NASA complex located about 2/3 of the way South towards Galveston. If you have watched any of the space program through the years, the museum and displays there will delight. There is a railroad museum in Galveston at the end of the historic district and several old homes in Galveston to see as well.

Hi everyone :)

I've just noticed today the Carnival Magic has got the dates available for our cruise for Sept / Oct 2014 and i'm really wanting to book just now as we want to do a B2B

She is sailing out of Galveston next year but what would be the closest airport to the port for us? We'll be flying in from the UK. I noticed that Houston airport is approx 60 miles away, is there a closer airport to the port where United fly into as we'll probably fly indirect via Newark

If you want United; the only airport would be IAH. I don't believe United flies to Hobby, but I could be wrong. If I fly out of Hobby I'm on Southwest.

We flew into Houston Hobby not Houston International. It is about an hour or so drive from the Hobby airport. This is the main reason I will not go out of Galveston again. Waiting for someone to start sailing out of the Houston Port.

Princess starts sailing November 13 out of the Port of Houston and Norweigian will start sailing sometime in 2014.

We have cruised out of Galveston twice and loved it. The first cruise, we took a shuttle to and from the cruise and it worked out fine. The second time we flew into Hobby, rented a car, drove to Galveston, spent the night, and dropped off the car in the morning. Rented a car again going back to Hobby. Worked out great!

Couldn't find a single car rental that did a one way rental in or out of Galveston from Houston. The international airport in Houston is Bush (north end of town), not Hobby (south end). Carnival has transport, very expensive, or you can call a local limo or van company. Be sure and fly in the day before. It's a minimum of 1 1/2 hours from Houston to the ship terminal.

If you are flying in from out of the country on a non-stop flight you will have to land at Bush Intercontinental. There is no Immigration or Customs facility at Hobby.

I understand that you want United, so that would definitely be IAH. Ever considered Delta through Atlanta? They fly into Hobby. Or American through Dallas connecting on a flight to Hobby?

Archived