New York Hotels

Hi All,

I'm going to need one night in New York prior to my cruise on June 23rd. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't know the area at all (never been there) and don't know what is safe, close, etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, saw someone said the NY Skippers Club is really bad...anyone have any experience there? I'm guessing it will be a table to the side, but I guess it's better than nothing!

The cruise docs show 2:00 PM - 4: 30 PM embarkation...do you think they'll let us on any earlier than that?

I appreciate any help you can provide!:)

Hi - even though I live in CA now, I was born, raised and educated in NYC. I can recommend lots of hotels but need a better idea of your budget - keep in mind, it's going to be hard to find any hotel in Manhattan for under $100.

-Dream Hotel is very nice, midtown location at 55th and Broadway, figure around $250 or so per night

-There is a Hilton on 6th Avenue (also known as the Avenue of the Americas)

between 53 and 54th. Great location again figure around $200 mark per night. There is also a Hilton in Times Square at 42nd.

I know there are Days Inn and a Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza in the same area but, have no personal knowledge of these hotels.

Just give me some details and I will try to help you pick out a good hotel!

Thanks SanFran...I'm not really on a tight budget, I don't want to spend $400.00 for one night's sleep, but it is our anniversary, so I'm willing to spend $250.00 or so.

I may have missed the boat here (not literally I hope!!!) as I just checked both the Dream Hotel and the Hiltons are not available.

I really appreciate your help!

Hi - even though I live in CA now, I was born, raised and educated in NYC. I can recommend lots of hotels but need a better idea of your budget - keep in mind, it's going to be hard to find any hotel in Manhattan for under $100.

-Dream Hotel is very nice, midtown location at 55th and Broadway, figure around $250 or so per night

-There is a Hilton on 6th Avenue (also known as the Avenue of the Americas)

between 53 and 54th. Great location again figure around $200 mark per night. There is also a Hilton in Times Square at 42nd.

I know there are Days Inn and a Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza in the same area but, have no personal knowledge of these hotels.

Just give me some details and I will try to help you pick out a good hotel!

The Hilton the 6th avenue is very nice. My DH and I stayed there in the fall of '02. Great location if you want to go to Times Square, Central Park, Tiffany's, Radio City Music Hall or Rockefeller Center. They're all in walking distance. I'm assuming it's just for the night before?

You could use a website like Hotwire. I found great hotels- at great prices for short stays. (Hotwire doesn't tell you the name of the hotel before you pay- Each time I've used it- I've been pleased)

In NYC my kids and I stayed two nights for about $100 a night in a Hotel called Club Quarters (guests need to be associated with businesses that have membership there- but to fill their rooms it's open to the public through Hotwire)

It was nice, clean, safe and within my budget!!!

(I did a quick check- prices are higher (double!!!) but worth a try to see what you can find)

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. I got a bit panicky when Travelocity, Hilton and Expedia all showed no availability for all of the suggested hotels. I found availability for the Hilton on Ave of the Americas through Alpharooms.com at a great price ($100.00 less than Hilton or Expedia offered it, if it had been available).

I went ahead and booked. Now I can breathe a bit easier.

Trinna, it's getting closer....only 17 more sleeps....

Thanks again folks!

If you are staying on a weekend downtown is the best value. The Hilton Millenium, overlooking ground zero is great and under $200 on a weekend. Great area, Tribeca, not too far and great places to eat there. Have fun.

SuiteCruiser - excellent choice! You have a wonderful location, in a very nice hotel. You're within easy walking distance to Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue shopping, and there are plenty of restaurants in the area too - and a short cab ride to the pier. I hope you enjoy NYC - there is a lot to see!!

Thanks so much SanFran...I'm really excited about staying there. It seemed a bit daunting to think about finding a hotel in NYC not knowing anything about the area. Thanks to you, I can now relax and look forward to it. We're only there overnight, but we'll wander about when we arrive and we'll also check things out the morning before we board.

Does anyone have any insight into our real boarding times? I seem to remember we usually arrived earlier for boarding, but our last cruise was 8 years ago, so things may have changed.

I really appreciate the quick help from everyone, this is a terrific site.;)

We arrived at the pier around 10:45 and were some of the first on the ship....around noon I think.

Another hotel suggestion is the Comfort Inn on W 46th St. It's just a half block off Times Square and not too expensive.

Archived