1st time cruising out of New Orleans - need help

lea

THis is our first time cruising out of New Orleans. Found out after we made a non -refundable deposit that we are cruising around Jazz Fest (End of April, beginning of May) and New orleans hotels will be booked. We did get the Springhill Suites New Orleans 301 St Joseph Street after our cruise( for 80/night) , but are flying in late afternoon the Saturday before our Sunday cruise and don't have anything booked yet.

Don't really know how far it is from airport to port, whether hotels generally will offer shuttles - if we book on priceline - does anyone know if hotels in the downtown, arts, and french quarter area will generally offer a shuttle at some reduced price to the port? Or should we just pay full price for one that will. If so, which one will?

Any advice for us newcomers on how to navigate NO from airport to port terminal with night inbetween would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:)

First of all, the Jazz fest weekend is a fun and great experience. As far as transportation from the hotel to the port, a cab is the best way to go. It's not bad - around $7pp one way from areas near the port. I'm not sure about outlying areas.

It's going to be hard to find a hotel and even if you go with Priceline, you will pay a premium. Most hotels during a major event won't open up rooms for bidding for a 1 night Saturday stay.

I would secure something asap. Hopefully somene local will provide some insight on hotels outside of the area that might work.

Would suggest booking your pre-cruise hotel immediately. The Jazz Fest is a major event bringing in thousands. There are any number of options from the airport, including taxi transportation, though this should not be a major concern.

Would suggest booking your pre-cruise hotel immediately.

The Jazz Fest is a major event bringing in thousands.

There are any number of options from the airport, including taxi transportation, though this should not be a major concern.

Agree! With a bit of luck, perseverance and some research, you may still be able to find a room in the French Quarter.

Been to NOLA for the very first time last year (Fall 2012) and had to find a

hotel room post-cruise during a very large Convention that took place in town at the time...

Still, we were able to grab a room in the heart of Downtown after monitoring closer the hotels listed @ HotWire -

good rate, not to mention complimentary continental breakfast & internet too.

GOOD LUCK!

THis is our first time cruising out of New Orleans. Found out after we made a non -refundable deposit that we are cruising around Jazz Fest (End of April, beginning of May) and New orleans hotels will be booked. We did get the Springhill Suites New Orleans 301 St Joseph Street after our cruise( for 80/night) , but are flying in late afternoon the Saturday before our Sunday cruise and don't have anything booked yet.

Don't really know how far it is from airport to port, whether hotels generally will offer shuttles - if we book on priceline - does anyone know if hotels in the downtown, arts, and french quarter area will generally offer a shuttle at some reduced price to the port? Or should we just pay full price for one that will. If so, which one will?

Any advice for us newcomers on how to navigate NO from airport to port terminal with night inbetween would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:)

Definately book now. I just booked our hotel for precruise night in NOVEMBER and had a really hard time finding something close to the quarter that wasn't over $270 a night. VooDoo Festival is going on the weekend we will be there.

I kept checking hotels and everyone was sold out. Finally asked what else going on that weekend. Then I looked up VooDoo Festival and it said that they had blocked out numerous rooms at numerous hotels for people buying tickets to the festival.

I tell you this because it may be the same thing for the weekend you are going. Most likely many of the hotels aren't really full but have rooms blocked for the festival attendees. So don't wait.

I finally got a room at the Drury Inn on Polydras. We stayed there last year precruise also and it was great. free food and drinks and its walking distance from the qtr but still far enough away to be quiet. (maybe 6 blocks or so, you can see it on google) I wanted to try for closer to the qtr, but due to VooDoo festival it was a no go. That being said, we were very happy with the Drury Inn. I was a little bummed that the price was like $25 more per night this year, again probably due to VooDoo Fest.

Good luck! I wouldn't wait any longer - Book your hotel NOW :)

Oh, and enjoy N.O. our first time last year. Loved it!!

I would suggest also looking for hotels in the Warehouse District or Central Business District. They aren't far from the French Quarter and are very close to the port.

We only got a good rate because my husband gets the government rate, thank goodness. Otherwise we'd be paying over $250 a night on the weekend of 3/1 - 3/3.

Good Luck!

As far as transportation from the hotel to the port, a cab is the best way to go. It's not bad - around $7pp one way from areas near the port. I'm not sure about outlying areas

Here's a link for the taxi fares. The concierge at the Embassy Suites told me it for up to 3 people per cab.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=New-Orleans-LA

If you can't find anything in the FQ, Metairie would be the closest city, just a few miles from cruise terminal and you could take a taxi, after Metairie, try Kenner which is actually where the airport is. You may find that some are requiring mininium night stays.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Anyone know of a Hotel that will offer transport to the cruise ship in the morning? Thanks.

The Blake Hotel offers a ride to the terminal as well as pick up. When I booked my room, it was only $79.00/night ($90.00 with taxes). I wish you the best of luck.

• 1 month later...

We have booked a room at the Inn on St Peter for our cruise in December. Not sure what is happening in town that weekend, but we were also having trouble finding rooms.

Does anyone have any opinions about this hotel? It looks very charming in all the pictures and the reviews seem to be mostly good. Is this a safe neighborhood? Will we be able to walk to the FQ and restaurants from here or use the trolley?

Thanks for any info you have!

We have booked a room at the Inn on St Peter for our cruise in December. Not sure what is happening in town that weekend, but we were also having trouble finding rooms.

Does anyone have any opinions about this hotel? It looks very charming in all the pictures and the reviews seem to be mostly good. Is this a safe neighborhood? Will we be able to walk to the FQ and restaurants from here or use the trolley?

Thanks for any info you have!

I have no information about the hotel. Since you didn't indicate which weekend in December, I have no real idea, but it could quite possibly be the week of the New Orleans Bowl. Also, NOLA is getting to be quite the Christmas/New Year's destination. And December is a great time to be in the city.

If you are looking for things to do while you're there -- as it gets closer, definitely check out this site http://www.neworleansonline.com/holiday/ (New Orleans Online/Holiday for information on the happenings and especially the Reveillon Dinners at most of the famous restaurants. Also, Celebration in the Oaks should be going on and is well worth the visit (and Canal Streetcar line accessible).

(Sorry for the tourism promo. :))

Archived