Passport Dilemma?

Hate 2 W8t

Obviously, these things can usually be worked out, although it can be time consuming.

My mother's family's surname was changed by the Immigration Officers (who happened to be Irish) at Ellis Island in 1899, as they could deal not with the Norwegian conjoined vowels. They (Immigration) spelled it phonetically, and that is what it became. My mother's uncle, who immigrated a year later, didn't get it changed, and it later caused a lot of confusion in rural North Dakota, same family, different spellings.

My father, a Brit, had no problems with his Anglicized French surname, when he immigrated to the US via Canada in the roaring 20s.

Iamthesea...You are so fortunate to have had people that loved you (and your sister) and cared about you. My DH stayed in a hospital for the first year of his life. I have always suspected this may have been why he was given up. The doctors crushed his skull during the birth. You should see his head now! :eek:

BTW - I am not in Canada, but in California. We have enough red tape here! I hope no one has more. :confused:

To others' regarding the dining room...what a thought! I wonder how other cruisers would feel about her hair color and mismatched socks? Suddenly makes plain jeans seem a little less offensive to the genteel. Nowadays, her hair is typically more of a lighter brown, but that may be just because she is waiting to make sure it won't fall out (the chemo from the breast cancer caused it all to fall out...you should have seen THOSE hats!). Socks still don't match, but no biggie...they match her - colorful! :D

Don’t assume anything when it comes to getting a Passport and it is not pure 100% vanilla.

I had a real nightmare getting one for my Mom who was born in Eastern Europe in 1920 and came to the US at age 2.

It took from Aug till March to get it straighten away, and many calls to their splendid 900 number. (Still makes my blood boil). (And that was pre 9/11)

Anyway, we got it done in time for Mom & Dad to take their 50th anniversary cruise, but I would stay on top of it. Based on what I’ve seen, the folks on this board can be a huge help, but I did not know CC existed back then. :o

Good luck.

I wouldn't worry to much about it.

My parents changed the spelling of my first name and my middle name to my baptismal name when I was 5. I have NEVER used the names (except the last) as they are listed on my birth certificate.

When I applied for my passport in Jan. I just listed them as an AKA. I only brought my original birth certificate. Now that I am married none of my name matches the darn thing.

I think as long as you are honest and not trying to hide that you are the person applying then you are fine.

I got mine no hassle.

We had a similar situation last year when we went to Alaska. My daughter's name is Robin. When she was six years old , she changed the spelling to Robyn. All of her records, except her birth certificate , said Robyn. Her cruise documents were issued as Robyn. Ater speaking to the cruise line, we called the passport agency. She had a passport as a child, but it had expired and we discarded it. They recommended that she apply for a new passport and all she had to provide was evidence that she had been spelling her name Robyn for the past 5 years. She provided her w-2 forms and the passport was issued as Robyn. Hope this helps.

We just applied in April for our passports...myfirst name one my birth certificate is different than the way I have spelled it since I could write..I have 2 first names and have always used a hyphen betweem them so that no one would think one of them is my middle name...I was not questioned about the discrepancy when I applied for my passport. When I received my passport the hyphen was missing..it appears that they used what was on my birth certificate as the paperwork I completed had the "-" on it...I wouldn't worry too much about the extra "t"...they will probably look at it as a typo...BTW..we got our passports in just under 4 weeks..so you will have time if you need to correct anything...Now if I can get SS to recognize that I never changed my name when I married 39 years ago I'll be in great shape come retirement time:D

Iamthesea - Thank, God no neurological damage, although sometimes I wonder. :rolleyes: Especially when he disagrees with me. :D If he did have problems now, I don't know if we would know where they came from since he has done some major damage to himself over the years (former moto-cross racer). When he joined the Navy, he actually asked if he should list the bones he *hadn't* broken before because he thought it might be shorter. :eek: Only other problem is haircuts. Nothing looks quite right. Again, thank God that it is something we can joke about, not to mention that he had a loving family that was willing to take him in in spite of his damage. MIL jokes that she tipped over a cow puck one day and there he was, so she brought him home.

Speaking of MIL, I love this story. She was a waitress at a little restaurant along a truck route. My FIL came in as a customer. When he complained the soup wasn't hot enough, she poured it in his lap. I guess it was hot enough! They started dating!

Franzi - Thanks for your story. Makes me feel good to know that there is a chance it will not be a big deal. I hope we get the same sort of luck!

Tried again to print out the passport form to fill out for daughter. (During the weekend, the computer frozed with the Adobe program). The first two pages printed out but was just info. Then it froze. When I tried printing out the actual form, got an error message. I'll have to try again tonight. It probably is this computer.

Chick - Do you have a regional post office near you? If you are not sure, call the ones near you anyway. You can pick up an application there and avoid the download nightmare. I couldn't get it to run through my home dial-up set-up, but at work it was just fine.

I did it! It printed!

Actually we do live less than a half mile from one of the post offices that is listed on the website and that will be where we'll file but it's a pain to park there with the other businesses in that shopping center.

Archived