Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Just received a text message from my wife. They are being served hamburgers and salad from another ship that is along side. Lines are taking 2 plus hours to get through to get food and drink.

And yet some folks would have you believe it is a great big party on the ship and we should all hope to be there with them

My wife and 3 of her girlfriends are on the Triumph for a daughters bachorlorette party sailing. My wife was able to call me Sunday night for a few minutes while the Elation was alongside via the Elations cell service.

My wife (Kelli) told me that it was pretty scary during the fire evacuation. A fire on a ship is serious. She said that they were allowed back down into the cabins after a while, but it is so hot that you cannot sleep down there. So they had set up a makeshift tent over deck loungers to sleep in. At the time I spoke to her, there was no toilets. They were using little red bags. And no running water, no lights, except emergency lighting.

She said that it was already pretty miserable. No hot food, and no alocohol being served. There was still ice being served in soft drinks. I guess not melted away yet.None of the shops were open. They were in good spirits, but very pissed off about being held hostage on a broken down cruise ship. They were all supposed to return to work on Tuesday, now that will be impossible. So I guess they will have to use vacation days or go unpaid.

In my opinion, a fire and total loss of power on a ship carrying 4000 people is unexcuseable.

Received another message from my mom - she said they are getting supplies from another boat (don't remember who else said this as well) and are still waiting on the tug boats.

Thanks for the info. That should be the Legend, scheduled to arrive approx 3pm, according to the CC news article.

I think most of can agree we can this is not the way to spend a vacation. However while some folks think of the lighter side is camping, the real half glass full is no one lost their life.

With out power, the crew can't cook, ice machines can't make ice for drinks, and don't forget the ship makes its own drinking water and that requires power too. The potty situation is a disaster of its own, even when a ship is working normal, the public restroom can be full and get dirty. With everyone on ship in one location, I can't even image how bad it is.

Those of us, who have done a 'hurricane' extended cruise know just how grumpy people get with even a few food items missing. The one I was on, were were out and extra 3 days. By the end of day two there were no more chips, ranch dressing and a few other little items and people were already getting upset.

Not being able to go to the cabin does suck, however even if you could, unless you had a balcony room you couldn't stay in there for long. I was on a NCL ship that lost air con to mid ship and didn't tell anyone until we boarded. One third of the guests didn't have air for 6 days! People with a balcony would leave their balcony and hall doors open. However people with inside cabins were having to sleep on deck, and they were NOT happy campers to say the least! Lost count how many required medical evac for heat problems. BTW all that was offered for having to camp on deck was a $25 on board credit, and you had to wait in line to get it.

Bottom line is we have to remember, things can go wrong. However if you think about how many ships are out there at any given time. These major disasters don't happen that often, and that's why it's big news when it does happen.

That brings up an interesting thought regarding the food/drinks situation ~ with the two other ships re-supplying the Triumph, does that mean those ships will now be low on supplies or do ships intentionally overstock in case of emergencies?

My wife and 3 of her girlfriends are on the Triumph for a daughters bachorlorette party sailing. My wife was able to call me Sunday night for a few minutes while the Elation was alongside via the Elations cell service.

My wife (Kelli) told me that it was pretty scary during the fire evacuation. A fire on a ship is serious. She said that they were allowed back down into the cabins after a while, but it is so hot that you cannot sleep down there. So they had set up a makeshift tent over deck loungers to sleep in. At the time I spoke to her, there was no toilets. They were using little red bags. And no running water, no lights, except emergency lighting.

She said that it was already pretty miserable. No hot food, and no alocohol being served. There was still ice being served in soft drinks. I guess not melted away yet.None of the shops were open. They were in good spirits, but very pissed off about being held hostage on a broken down cruise ship. They were all supposed to return to work on Tuesday, now that will be impossible. So I guess they will have to use vacation days or go unpaid.

In my opinion, a fire and total loss of power on a ship carrying 4000 people is unexcuseable.

Thanks for the update. My thoughts go out to you and your wife and all the other passengers stranded in these conditions

That brings up an interesting thought regarding the food/drinks situation ~ with the two other ships re-supplying the Triumph, does that mean those ships will now be low on supplies or do ships intentionally overstock in case of emergencies?

Some ships restock at another port...especially the longer cruises. Learned this on a kitchen tour. :p

More info - I guess my parents are piggybacking off of another ship's signal. They said there is no power still, no toilets (pee in shower, #2 in bags), no meat. They slept on the deck last night (no tents, just open air) and will prob do so for the next two nights. They said they are doing this by choice - they booked an inner room without a window I'm sure this is why. They said there is no coffee or juice, only water. My dad said they were serving "hamburgers" he had one made just of cheese slices and another with only cole slaw no meat on either. All alcohol service has been cut off.

As one of the original posters on this thread, I thought it was going to be a place where people with family members on board would be able to update each other. Wow, I was completely wrong.

This thread is so out of control it's unbelievable. The fact that some people believe that people who have received texts from family members aboard are lying is insane! Why, would we lie? We have no reason, we were just trying to keep each other updated.

I've read stuff about the auto industry, the Titanic, passports, speculation, compensation, medications, drinking kool-aid, camping, job security, discounts, tents, the blizzard in the north, post saying they wish they were on the ship because then they would just get another free cruise, and many more totally unrelated remarks! It's basically become a thread for just trash talking each other!

I mean for heaven's sake there was even a CNN reporter on the thread spying at one time who contacted me and wanted to do a live interview with Solidad O'brien this morning, which I refused!

I guess the point of this is to say that this thread is absolutely useless and to be honest has disgusted me! If this thread is a good sample of the kind of people who are on Cruise Critics, then I really have no reason to ever come back here!

P.S...Go ahead, let the flaming begin! It's what you guys do right?

Like many other groups, 10% or less are #$%^&*()_+, can't use the proper terms here dues to rules.

CC is good for general information, but for specific things, go to more official sources.

As one of the original posters on this thread, I thought it was going to be a place where people with family members on board would be able to update each other. Wow, I was completely wrong.

This thread is so out of control it's unbelievable. The fact that some people believe that people who have received texts from family members aboard are lying is insane! Why, would we lie? We have no reason, we were just trying to keep each other updated.

I've read stuff about the auto industry, the Titanic, passports, speculation, compensation, medications, drinking kool-aid, camping, job security, discounts, tents, the blizzard in the north, post saying they wish they were on the ship because then they would just get another free cruise, and many more totally unrelated remarks! It's basically become a thread for just trash talking each other!

I mean for heaven's sake there was even a CNN reporter on the thread spying at one time who contacted me and wanted to do a live interview with Solidad O'brien this morning, which I refused!

I guess the point of this is to say that this thread is absolutely useless and to be honest has disgusted me! If this thread is a good sample of the kind of people who are on Cruise Critics, then I really have no reason to ever come back here!

P.S...Go ahead, let the flaming begin! It's what you guys do right?

How did the CNN reporter contact you? How would I contact another poster here?

Are you saying someone claiming to be from CNN made a post to you on this thread? Or are you saying that they somehow figured out who you are and how to contact you?

Did I miss something?

My thinking is anyone can come on this thread and say they are anyone they want to, but if there was a direct contact with you via phone or email, I would be interested to know how that occurred? Do you have you emil in your signature?

Are you absolutely sure they were from CNN?:D:rolleyes:

Some ships restock at another port...especially the longer cruises. Learned this on a kitchen tour. :p

All cruiseships have several extra days worth of provisions.

Just received a text message from my wife. They are being served hamburgers and salad from another ship that is along side. Lines are taking 2 plus hours to get through to get food and drink.

Can we actually have a thread that talks about what is going on with the ship instead of a bunch of people that are speculating about what might be happening? I know there are a lot of people with family and friends on this ship that can't get information from Carnival. I have been one of them. Carnival is not giving out a lot of information and most of mine is coming from my wife or others I know that are on this ship.

I'm glad you were able to hear from your wife. :) You must be sick with worry. I know my DH would be anxious if I had an emergency situation happen on vacation.

I hope things continue to get better for her and everyone on board and all the passengers make it home safely. :)

Like many other groups, 10% or less are #$%^&*()_+, can't use the proper terms here dues to rules.

CC is good for general information, but for specific things, go to more official sources.

my take on cruise critic is 2fold:

First, a great source for tidbits of info regarding things like dining, packing, tipping, ports and the like

Then, and this is what makes CC extra special in my book (no kidding here) is that when crisis strikes and problems occur there is this great place called CC where we can sit and commiserate and suggest and flame a bit and joke a bit and basically play devil's advocate. All of which are in my book, most of the time, the domain of the logical, common sense oriented, intelligent, good people that most of us are...I hope!:confused::D;)

If you think that's what you're gonna get, go ahead. If you ever find yourself in the news pipeline, though, you will find it's worse than a kids game of telephone.

But look for global warming to be in there somewhere.

As a member of the media (I am a contributing writer to a couple of publications) I find it disturbing that you paint us all with a single stroke. I have interrupted people during interviews to remind them that they are "on the record" and ask if they would like to either rephrase their thoughts or take the conversation off the record. I consider myself a highly ethical writer, and have many colleagues who are the same way.

While I have edited Q&A's, it's been for space and I generally either remove an entire question and response that was completely irrelevant to the rest of the story or shorten a rambling response that has gone completely off-track from the original question or is just TMI. For example I once asked someone if they were enjoying fatherhood and got a rambling response that included a descriton of the child's birth in rather vivid detail. I decided to shorten it to the first few sentences. It didn't change the response that he loved being a dad and probably saved his wife from a murder charge. ;)

The Department of State can waive passport requirements under 22 CFR § 53.2 for unforeseen emergencies, humanitarian, or national interest reasons.

I would hope this situation meets that standard. If not, I'm sure they can expedite the processing for emergency passports. I really don't think anyone will be significantly delayed because they don't have a passport.

Oh my gosh, thank you! I've been looking for a post by someone who might have this answer for 51 pages lolol. This is good (and interesting) information to know. I'm gonna go pull that rule and check it out. Thanks again!

The chicken littles assigning blame are really quite unbelievable...Meanwhile here in the Northeast thousands of cars had accidents in the recent snowstorm...not to mention thousandsmore every week in dry sunny conditions. Shame on Automakers!!!! Prosecute Ford GM and Toyota!!!!!

Does this post actually make sense to you, lol? :eek: You're not even the slightest bit embarrassed that the analogy you posted has no logical connection to the blizzard I and many others in the NE have been living through for days, but is actually the antithesis of the situation here. :confused:

ftr, though, to try to help you out and make some tenuous connection to your argument about automakers and the situation at hand, i will say that IF an auto manufacturer sold me a car that kept having defect after defect of which they had prior knowledge of, and in which I later got into an accident because of? you bet you're a$$ they'd be answering. So there, I related your crazy analogy to the situation at hand and still, even still, it does not pan out to be the conclusion you are arguing is logical and rational one, lolololololol... omg...

My experience of being on a ship when the transformer blew was similiar to the passengers on the Triumph. We had no a/c, no flushing toilets, no elevators, no hot foods (it was breakfast).We were 10 miles off the coast of Venezuela. To say it was hot is an understatement. Trust me it isn't FUN to be on a ship that loses power. We were towed after six or seven hours. The crew were wonderful and helpful. They helped carry wheelchair passengers up and down the stairs due to no elevators. Once at port we were met bycrew from Miami who had the part to fix the problem. Around midnight we left and were on our way. We were compensated for the inconvience which we didn't expect.

When all of this first happened you could hear passengers saying "they would own the cruiseline" for putting them in this awful position. Really?? No Captain wants to be in any position that puts passengers in harms way.

I feel terrible for the passengers onboard but thankfully they are safe! This will be one experience they will remember.

Carol

As I said yesterday, things are still not 100% clear, we are getting glipses of what MAY be going on through the posts of Clinty79 and others who have family and friends onboard, but in reality we don't know the full story.

Glimpses? MAY be going on?

I guess you missed the updates from people in contact with family members onboard the ship in the last three pages of this thread - certainly no picnic or reason to cheer for old CCL

To recap:

okiecruzer - They said there is no power still, no toilets (pee in shower, #2 in bags), no meat. They slept on the deck last night (no tents, just open air) and will prob do so for the next two nights. They said they are doing this by choice - they booked an inner room without a window I'm sure this is why. They said there is no coffee or juice, only water. My dad said they were serving "hamburgers" he had one made just of cheese slices and another with only cole slaw no meat on either. All alcohol service has been cut off.

dbogusch - Another update from coworker. People are slowly being let into their cabins but its stifling hot below decks. The "hamburgers" being served are meatless. Very limited hot food. Only water to drink.

Mousehouse14 - Just received a text message from my wife. They are being served hamburgers and salad from another ship that is along side. Lines are taking 2 plus hours to get through to get food and drink.

Tug boat has been delayed for 3 or more hours for some reason. Just received another text message.

One of the sad things about this whole situation is that I am getting more information from a board then I am from Carnival. Carnival has no idea how they are going to get that many people flights or how long it is going to take. The last lady I talked to at Carnival said they are working on getting flights booked but didn't know when, what airline or airport the passengers would fly into or out of.

The passengers can go below deck but the temp below deck is rising and not comfortable to stay in their rooms or suites for any length of time.

Archived