Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

This is how:

When another Carnival cruise ship, the Legend, rendezvoused with the stranded vessel overnight, supplying Triumph passengers with food and supplies, Texas resident Brent Nutt was able to briefly chat with his wife, Bethany, who could draw a mobile phone signal from the visiting cruise line.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/cruise-ship-carnival-triumph-adrift-near-mexico-with-4200-aboard/story-e6frfq80-1226575819982

I do not think so. Each ship sends the cell signal via satellite when the ship is out of range of land based cell towers.

Fair question. On my map, equidistant between Mobile and Merida is almost as close to Galveston as it is to Mobile.

Maybe their tug arrangement is to tow to the closest port... plus the fact that one tug was reported as being from Mobile may also be a factor.

Looking at the map more closely... equidistant Mobile/Merida is about 100 miles closer to Mobile than Galveston... plus if the current is drifting that way, they can probably get the pax to safety sooner if they go to Mobile.

BTW, one thing that struck me in that article. "Carnival should have something in place to get people off this ship."

That's a reality about cruising few people consider. There is NO, repeat NO safe way to evacuate a cruise ship other than in or near a port. There are simply no ships on the sea that have that kind of spare capacity plus a safe way to transfer large volumes of people under sea conditions efficiently.

The ships are designed to preserve life in the event of an emergency, not comfort.

Thanks for posting this. This article has the statements from Brent Nutt, who heard from his wife onboard, that was quoted by several other sites and reposted here a few times.

When another Carnival cruise ship, the Legend, rendezvoused with the stranded vessel Monday, supplying Triumph passengers with food and supplies, Texas resident Brent Nutt was able to briefly chat with his wife, Bethany, who could draw a cellphone signal from the visiting cruise line.

Without power, the ship's stabilizers are apparently not working, Nutt told The Associated Press, and the massive liner had been leaning to one side Sunday. By Monday afternoon, the ship seemed more upright, he said.

"She sounded a whole lot better today than she did yesterday," Nutt said about two hours after chatting with his 32-year-old wife.

Passengers were also given food, Nutt said, and some of the bathrooms are working. But the ship is dirty, Nutt said his wife told him.

"There's water and feces all over the floor," Nutt relayed. "It's not the best conditions. You would think Carnival would have something in place to get these people off the ship."

Passengers also are getting sick and throwing up, he said, adding that his wife told him: "The whole boat stinks extremely bad."

Melinda Ramos, meanwhile, said her father was laughing when she briefly spoke to him on Sunday.

"He might be completely joking, but he said they're sleeping in tents outside," the 19-year-old daughter of Mary and Matt Ramos told The Houston Chronicle.

Why hasn't the Mexican government offered more help? What about the Mexican Navy getting their behinds out there and helping out in some way?

Seems like the least they can do since Carnival ships provide such a large amount of income to the people and businesses in their ports.

I mean ... a TUG BOAT? For a huge ship like Triumph? Can't they do better than that ????

There is a reason why they are called tug boats. They are designed to tug boats......

Other ships or boats can not safely tow a large ship.

Carnival is being flamed because they deserve to be flamed. Their record of mishaps grows every year.

The Carnival cheerleaders on this forum are amazing.... and not in a good way!

As the carnival haters are amazing as well. Has anybody on here said carnival did nothing wrong ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a bunch of kids and never ever used the word potty..always just asked them if the had to go to the bathroom. guess i am weird

Not really, you just tried to raise children, not babies. I thank my late Mom for doing the same, saved UNlearning a vocabulary. :eek:

Fair question. On my map, equidistant between Mobile and Merida is almost as close to Galveston as it is to Mobile.

Maybe their tug arrangement is to tow to the closest port... plus the fact that one tug was reported as being from Mobile may also be a factor.

With the currents and lack of steering, it is probably better not to fight the current.

Long, loong, looong time lurker posting.

This rant was formated for another board, however, I feel it still suits.

I feel for these folks onboard. I can't imagine the difficulties. Our prayers are with you.

Their issues will not end once docked, or airborne to the US

I agree they are fortunate the weather is cooperating. If this event occurred during significant seas this would be a whole different story.

I also feel IMHO Carnival does step up and compensate folks openly more than any other line.

I also feel any amount of compensation will never make it right for many. Not as though it would ever, given the circumstances. At this point it isn't about money. And it never will be for many. It's about getting home and reconnecting with family / life on land.

I can't believe some of these comments I've read. Have any of you been thru an incident of similiar proportion?

I tried to read thru the banter, but I couldn't and failed.

I ask of all of you, when these folks return to civilization, and they begin to post on said boards, that we give then the benifit of doubt.

These folks have been through something that is/can be life changing. Many may be experiencieng PTSD. My suggestion is we listen and give support instead of questioning their experiences. Allow them to share their experiences and memories. This is part of the healing process after such an event.

We, being on the mainland, safe and secure in our living rooms, have no right to judge, or should we. Let's allow them to share without banter. JMHO

Best wishes to all affected. :good vibes

Yup, and put them within range of several shipyards capable of repairs to large diesels and open-frame generators.

I can only imagine how much work has to be done to test/repair/replace the relay and signalling circuitry and controls, as well as chasing grounds and shorts.

I heard from a good friend at RCCL that it was electrical fire in engine room. Sounds like they were running on limited power and overloaded what is comparable to a breaker in the fuse panel in your house......it should have tripped and not burned. I was told they may have one online prior to docking in mobile. The second ship brought engineers and parts they believe will allow them to fire up an engine

Looking at tidal maps, they will be pulling 'with' the current to mobile and 'cross current' to Galveston. That could speed travel time quite a bit comparably.

And honestly, from a Media standpoint, Carnival would have gone with Mexico. There, they might have seen reporters from the national news only. But Mobile? Every port city in the US can fly a reporter there!

There are about 4 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

The tug boat is/was running late. The ship may or may not be in route to the Port in Progresso.

The passport problem will probably not be an issue as there can be exceptions in certain situations.

The pax are eating veggies and there is some coffee.

They are also allowed in to their rooms now, (as seen by the recent picture), but it's hot w/o the AC running.

Did I miss anything?

Coffe is great in the AM, but is the beer still cold?:confused:

BTW, one thing that struck me in that article. "Carnival should have something in place to get people off this ship."

That's a reality about cruising few people consider. There is NO, repeat NO safe way to evacuate a cruise ship other than in or near a port. There are simply no ships on the sea that have that kind of spare capacity plus a safe way to transfer large volumes of people under sea conditions efficiently.

The ships are designed to preserve life in the event of an emergency, not comfort.

Agreed.

I feel for the pax on board who said that but unless the ship is in danger it is safer to remain on board.

Do you think Alabama was just a decision based on passport issues?

I have no real clue on this current challenge, but it definitely did have an affect on the towing situation for Carnival Splendor (choosing longer tow to California rather then the original shorter distance plan to Mexico).

I think you are over simplifying it. Some people won't be US citizens. Others will have passports. Even if they don't force everyone to get a passport through the Embassy before they leave Mexico, there will be extensive delays as they positively verify everyone without a passport via any number of extra screening procedures. Anyone without a passport should expect to spend hours at CBP on their way back into the US.

I could be wrong, but I'd expect CCL will give priority to those with passports--possibly sending them home via commercial flights where seats are available. Just like an airline does in an irr ops situation, re-book the easy ones first and then move on to the rest.

Don't be obsessed about the passports. In situations like this they can waive the lack of a passport and likely will do so. I doubt they are going to give those without passports a hassle.

It's a relief that with all that has gone wrong, no reports of injuries or deaths from the fire & loss of power. My heart goes out to all on board.

75 pages - I read the first few & the last few. No chance of ever catching up at this point!

And ew on the ice buckets - not a big ice fan but I don't think I'll ever be to use one again.

By looking at charts showing where the Legend was today when they stopped by the Triumph, it appears that the Triumph is about halfway between Mobile and Progresso and slightly east of Mobile making it about one days tow closer than Galveston. Plus, they will be going with the current making the tow easier and quicker than to Galveston.

Long, loong, looong time lurker posting.

This rant was formated for another board, however, I feel it still suits.

I feel for these folks onboard. I can't imagine the difficulties. Our prayers are with you.

Their issues will not end once docked, or airborne to the US

I agree they are fortunate the weather is cooperating. If this event occurred during significant seas this would be a whole different story.

I also feel IMHO Carnival does step up and compensate folks openly more than any other line.

I also feel any amount of compensation will never make it right for many. Not as though it would ever, given the circumstances. At this point it isn't about money. And it never will be for many. It's about getting home and reconnecting with family / life on land.

I can't believe some of these comments I've read. Have any of you been thru an incident of similiar proportion?

I tried to read thru the banter, but I couldn't and failed.

I ask of all of you, when these folks return to civilization, and they begin to post on said boards, that we give then the benifit of doubt.

These folks have been through something that is/can be life changing. Many may be experiencieng PTSD. My suggestion is we listen and give support instead of questioning their experiences. Allow them to share their experiences and memories. This is part of the healing process after such an event.

We, being on the mainland, safe and secure in our living rooms, have no right to judge, or should we. Let's allow them to share without banter. JMHO

Best wishes to all affected. :good vibes

Great first post... we need more of this kind of civility on CC. :)

Archived