Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Propulsion systems and power generation are entirely different beasts.

True, although the propulsion systems are typically electrically powered now, so a phase-to-phase short in a propulsion motor (especially in an AziPod) could disable the power generation capabilities of the ship if relaying and protective circuitry failed (circuit breakers failing to trip - could be caused by loss of control power).

It appears that the Triumph uses two large electric motors to spin shafts with continuously variable pitch propellers. I can see the cause and effect of the failure of propulsion motor failure.

But I heard it's had propulsion problems so it can only go forward one day.

Also, when they hit 88 miles per hour, the time machine leaves a trail of fire... Which is what happened when they used it on board the Triumph..:D

Sorry to those on board, but we will have some fun with this thread... The people on board are safe, though their situation probably sucks... The stuff about the Splendor was all awful reports until the people got off the ship, then the reasonable comments out numbered the crazy people on CC.

A couple of comments...

I find it interesting (and perhaps a reflection on the demographics of a 4 day Carnival cruise out of New Orleans) that 900 of 3,000 pax are without passports.

Mark

This cruise sailed from Galveston, not New Orleans.

It's moot now, but there would be a higher level of screening for those without a passport that would most likely include additional forms and additional questioning. It wouldn't be the typical hand them your passport, they ask if you have anything to declare, you say no, they stamp your passport and tell you t have a safe trip home.

Why is it moot? Since they are not returning to Galveston all are supposed to have a passport. Also now there is a violation of the Passenger Services Act. I am pretty sure though that US customs is not going to hassle the passengers and I don't think the government will fine each passenger $200. Carnival might have to pay the fines though.

I really question the validity of your statement : News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

Given we have had 5 posters with loved ones aboard all post no bathrooms are working, the statement to be accurate really should be "Contrary to Carnival's press release saying there are some bathrooms working, no one on-board has confirmed that and in fact 5 people with loved ones aboard have reported no bathrooms are working"

What would carnival have to gain by lying about this?

Also, when they hit 88 miles per hour, the time machine leaves a trail of fire... Which is what happened when they used it on board the Triumph..:D

Sorry to those on board, but we will have some fun with this thread... The people on board are safe, though their situation probably sucks... The stuff about the Splendor was all awful reports until the people got off the ship, then the reasonable comments out numbered the crazy people on CC.

And there we have it...the reason behind the fire. ;)

Agreed that this is all in fun. I have all on board in my thoughts and prayers.

Although I am sure that it will be easier in Mobile, it is not quite moot. A passport would still be required since this is not a closed loop cruise. It is more likely to be waived in Mobile.

I think it's easier b/c they will already be on US soil when they are asked for ID. Worst case, they look a bit more closely at their BC/DL if they don't have a passport and then wave them through.

You are 100% correct. And yes, I actually am an expert.

It's most likely to happen in hourly positions, but it can happen in any role at all. Many companies have extremely strict attendance policies, in writing, and absences in excess of what is allowed can absolutely (and often do) result in termination.

Absolutely True! I also work in HR and as long as it is not discrimination a company can release you without cause ( not saying they wont have to pay unemployment for that cause though). Larger companies usualy have policies to back them up and protect them from paying the unemployment. Although, in this situation most places will probably be understanding to the situation since it is in the news and they can prove they were onboard.

Willie!!!

OMG is this the way I have to find you and Kellie after our great Mariner of the Seas cruise?

No, in all reality how scary for you and how devastating for her.

I can only hope for a quick safe return.

Sue

AKA Lionesss

The shy one;)

Hey SUZY Q! Yep, Kelli sailed without me and the Cruise Gods punished the whole ship. Don't leave husbands at home!

Why is it moot? Since they are not returning to Galveston all are supposed to have a passport. Also now there is a violation of the Passenger Services Act. I am pretty sure though that US customs is not going to hassle the passengers and I don't think the government will fine each passenger $200. Carnival might have to pay the fines though.

Good point - you're right. I seem to recall a Hawaii cruise about 10 years ago (HAL?) which ran into problems and I believe that fines were levied - but paid by the cruise line.

If the ship is over 100 miles off shore, how are people getting texts from friends and family members onboard? I assume the cellular at sea isn't working and that's too far out of range to pick up towers from land.

Other Carnival ships have been unloading food, and they can catch a signal for a while whnthe other ships are close.

Don't be obsessed about the passports. In situations like this they can waive the lack of a passport and likely will do so. I doubt they are going to give those without passports a hassle.

Well, actually, since you made the blanket statement last night and then never came back to tell us where you got that information, even after you were asked 3x, some of the real Juris Doctors on here went and researched it ourselves. Not so cut and dried as you say.

So, carry on with your legal prowess, lol.

They can get an extraordinary circumstances waiver. The ships that did a cruise to nowhere during Sandy got one, for example. Carnival may still have to pay a moderate admin fee, but their won't be fines.

Spoke to a friend who works at the CBP. Since it is NOT a closed loop cruise AND they apparently ported at least once outside the US (they were on their way back), the closed loop and no port exception to the rules do not apply. The same procedures will apply as if they had flown in, with the exception the facility is better equipped to handle large volumes of people at one time and the staff will likely be more considerate of the passengers situation because they are handling just them, then ones at an airport could be (at the airport, the immigration folks would be handling normally arriving flights as well)

BUT they will still need to show either passports, or other acceptable ID and those without passports may still get additional screening.

Will they bus people from Mobile back to Galveston?

I suspect a large number of the ships passengers drove to the port from Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc. Certainly much less expensive than flying people from Mexico to Houston.

Archived