Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Fourth call from my wife:

1. My wife went on this cruise with a bunch of her Jazzercise friends. This morning one of them was airlifted off the ship due to a stroke. I saw this on CNN earlier but I thought they were lowering supplies down.

2. She has already cleared customs. They are calling each level one at a time to go through customs.

3. The smell has gotten extremely worse over the past 8 hours.

Prayers for your wife's friend...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I probably could survive the ordeal without too much crying and screaming, but there is NO WAY I would accept getting on a crowded bus for a 2 hour drive to New Orleans. I'd be demanding a cheap hotel room, any hotel room with a hot shower right in Mobile (if that's where this poor shipload actually arrives). I can't imagine what they were thinking that people would willingly crowd onto buses even for 2 more hours to get to a shower.

That might have made sense given the arrival time of 2-5pm they were envisioning at the time, but now most pax won't be off before midnight. 2 hour bus ride in the wee hours after their experience... not fun.

This incident has been mishandled from the get-go. :mad: Carnival has sworn allegiance to the almighty dollar and ALL the decisions were done with that deity in mind. People have not only a 'story' to tell......but a list of possible medical/emotional/physical complications as yet unknown to them. This company is NOT an ethical one....... It would be interesting if the correspondence with Miami was available to the public regarding the deicison to drag the ship home......more people than you realize have medical 'conditions' and what the last few days have done is not good for anyone! Thank god, those passengers will (hopefully) be able to leave this ship soon......I've traveled on some of CCL's other lines.....but honestly I've seen more than enough. If I want to be on the water.....it won't be through CCL's lineage. :mad: Yes, I hope someone from CCL is reading this...........I'll be sharing the same comments with associates who share my love of travel.

You're preaching to the choir. Carnival is not an ethical company. Look up how Ted Arison got his money to start Carnival. Check out the book "Devil On The Deep Blue Sea". Will tell you all you need to know about the Arison family. You will also understand why Mickey was at the Heat Game in place of being on top of what was going on with his company. He doesn't care.

I probably could survive the ordeal without too much crying and screaming, but there is NO WAY I would accept getting on a crowded bus for a 2 hour drive to New Orleans. I'd be demanding a cheap hotel room, any hotel room with a hot shower right in Mobile (if that's where this poor shipload actually arrives). I can't imagine what they were thinking that people would willingly crowd onto buses even for 2 more hours to get to a shower.

They will be able to shower, clean up , before boarding the bus. You can be certain of that.

This incident has been mishandled from the get-go. :mad: Carnival has sworn allegiance to the almighty dollar and ALL the decisions were done with that deity in mind. People have not only a 'story' to tell......but a list of possible medical/emotional/physical complications as yet unknown to them. This company is NOT an ethical one....... It would be interesting if the correspondence with Miami was available to the public regarding the deicison to drag the ship home......more people than you realize have medical 'conditions' and what the last few days have done is not good for anyone! Thank god, those passengers will (hopefully) be able to leave this ship soon......I've traveled on some of CCL's other lines.....but honestly I've seen more than enough. If I want to be on the water.....it won't be through CCL's lineage. :mad: Yes, I hope someone from CCL is reading this...........I'll be sharing the same comments with associates who share my love of travel.

So, instead of being critical about the way things were handled, tell us how you feel they could have done things differently? What does money have to do with this? they couldn't safely evacuate 4,000 people. Food and water were delivered from other ships. There was no power so their hands were tied. All they could do is make people as comfortable as possible under deplorable conditions.

Pat

I dont' think it is that surprising that the passengers are now getting better food. Yesterday the ship got a generator. Today they got more supplies. It's amazing what you can do if you actually have food and a way to cook it!

And for those other food items, I happened to like tomato sandwiches, and a great cucumber sandwich. They are staple foods if you live in the country.

The last few phone interviews were people with a better outlook of what was happening. It was agreed there was sewerage, but it wasn't all over the ship as it's been portrayed.

I think the Pax's who had balcony's did not have nearly as bad a time as those who had lower deck cabins, thats why there are such different opinions on CNN

One of the passengers interviewed on CNN said exactly that. She said that she and her family were doing OK, they had a balcony so could get fresh air and privacy, but the people in inner cabins, especially on the lower decks were pretty miserable.

Ok they had a rough time, was not the vacation they were expecting.

But they are getting compensation for it.

They did not starve, and from the pictures does not seem as bad as all the hype about it. Media have been making sound as if they were all going to get disease, have long term mental problems, ect

Was probably hard for some of the younger & older ones, who take medication, ect.

But I would not even be on a ship if I was very old and ill.

No worst than Woodstock back in the day

Not all people who need medications are old or "sick." Diabetics, asthmatics, people with seizure disorders, the mentally ill, the list goes on. With proper medication, most of the people with those conditions can live very normal, productive lives. Most people wouldn't bring more than an extra 2-3 days supply of medication on a four day cruise, and some of the medications that they might take aren't going to be stocked by the infirmary.

These people weren't going to a rock concert in a field, they were going on a cruise. Do you really think they are at all comparable?

i'm waiting to hear first hand reports from all the concerned family members who have been posting about how they are in mobile to welcome said family members home. if they are concerned about the bus rides, etc. wouldn't you think they would want to be in mobile to make sure they are all right and to have procured a hotel room and a place to have a late dinner/early breakfast. you bet your booty i'd be there if i had some one on the ship.

And for those other food items, I happened to like tomato sandwiches, and a great cucumber sandwich. They are staple foods if you live in the country.

The last few phone interviews were people with a better outlook of what was happening. It was agreed there was sewerage, but it wasn't all over the ship as it's been portrayed.

Well make sure on your next Carnival cruise, you request those foods and skip the menu.

Evidently I grew-up in the wrong country. Honestly, I grew-up on the family farm and I've never eaten either.

Mom would've gotten some real ugly looks.... ;-)

What I have been wondering is what happens to the safes if there is a power outage ? Do they open or stay locked ? A lot of people probably have money & their passports in them .How do they retrieve those ?

Also how do the Mom's of young babies get additional diapers ? They probably only planned for a week not two .

They will be able to shower, clean up , before boarding the bus. You can be certain of that.

Clean up a little bit. That bathroom at the terminal will be a busy place Probably get a little hot food. Shower? Not going to happen. No facilities for it anywhere around that cruise terminal. I don't think I want to hop on a bus to go wait in line for showers and then get back on the bus again. Just get me to my car in Galveston or to New Orleans if I will be flying. I just hope their bad luck doesn't continue and a CSX train breaks down in front of the terminal. You have to cross those railroad tracks to get out.

this thing is a PR disaster for carnival, they need to be pulling out all the stops, flying in meds, flying in extra crew to clean, flying off sick people, paying everybody handsomely, and then starting a huge pr campaign

The time for action has passed. This is a cruise line that was charging hungry passengers for cans of Pringles potato chips from the gift shop after the fire had happened. $6 per can.

I don't think writing on the sheets, robes, or any other fabric is a problem under these circumstances. I'm quite certain that every soft furnishing on that ship has reached the end of the road and is destined for the incinerator or the landfill.

Two Ags that think alike.

SG2

Houston

Archived