Current pharmacy experiences @ Belize port?

novalab

Has anyone had a positive experience picking up medications at a pharmacy in the port of Belize? I know there is an older thread on this board but I would love to read about some newer, more current experiences from cruisers.

We won't be filling prescriptions but are interested in any antibiotics that might be available, esp. z-packs. Have a daughter that constantly gets sinus infections in the spring & fall. Her Dr. always prescribes a z-pack. Getting tired of paying the office visit for the same thing.

Would appreciate any information, advice, or referral! Thank you!!!

There was more than one pharmacy in Belize the last time I was there this past November. I gather that one of them (don't know which one though) has a bad reputation for using expired or otherwise inappropriate drugs. I have no personal experience to share beyond knowing there is more than one pharmacy in the Tourism Village. Perhaps someone will elaborate?

I just bought Z packs there this past week, haven't looked closely and have NO clue if I was at the bad one or not but it was $50 for 3 packs I believe but I will double check in the AM!

Buy any chance, do you remember the name of the pharmacy or it's particular location in the cruise port area? The last time I was there (2008), z-packs were selling for $15 each at a little pharmacy located by the main exit gate. Can't remember the name of the pharmacy. I did regret later that I didn't buy the meds while I was there. Wonder if it was the good one or the not so good one....? Hopefully, someone will help us out here.

Thank you both for your information!

Edited by novalab

There's two pharmacies that we have visted.

Using the Chocolate Storefront as a point of reference.

The first shop in the bldg to the left of the Choc store we visited in Oct 2012:

We purchased Vicodin which did not work.

The second pharmacy is at the rear of the bldg to the right of the choc shop.

Feb 2013, we bought 100 50mg Tramadol 40.00 and we can verify that they work.

Back in Oct we bought 5 Z-Pacs for $50

My DH took one pack and claims it didn't help him. I took one when my sinus started acting up, it cleared it up. We are 50/50 on them.

It was recommended to us to visit a supermercado in Cozumel, they won't sell phony meds as that is where the locals get their prescriptions filled.

I was there last week, I found the two pharmacies to be pretty much identical in prices. We bought from the one to the left of the Chocolate store, I believe it's in Terminal 4 (where you could walk all the way through and exit the rear of the port). She made it very clear what the expiration date was on our z-packs (early 2015 I think), we also got a five pack for $50. Ones I got there last year have worked. I also get Latisse (bimatoprost) there, it's still $40 same as last year, and my eyelashes prove that it's not fake! :p

I've recently visited a real pharmacy in both Cozumel and Progreso (pharmacies that residents use and don't necessarily cater to tourists) and found that while their prices were good, their selection didn't compare to the Belize port pharmacies. Plus in Progreso they only accepted pesos. We stopped in the Mega in Cozumel last week and I didn't think about checking out their pharmacy, dang it. Guess I'll have to schedule another cruise.

Edited by 3dogsrule

My husband got me Zyrtec for a bad allergy reaction I had while cruising on the Norwegian Dawn 2/3/13 - 2/10/13 and I feel they worked way better than the Zyrtec brand I used from my local pharmacy. I now wish he had purchased more! The pills were all sealed and had a date stamp on them so I felt safe to take them. He paid $8 for 30 pills (3 strips of 10 pills). I would have paid that for 5 pills back home! There were bars that had signs out front for pills as well. I would stay away from those. Stick with a pharmacy.

I have purchased Z paks and other things from their pharmacies....never noticed they didn't work...however, this last time I got Omeprazole (Prilosec) in Belize...I usually get it in Cozumel and find it better than the US brands...the kind from Belize doesn't work for me...had to get some here in the US for relief...next trip I will definitely get it in Cozumel again!!

Marsha

• 2 months later...

Was just in Belize two weeks ago. Both pharmacies at the Tourism Port are named 'Pharmacy Express'. I think they repainted the 'chocolate' building as it was a southwest rust color (Diamonds International).

As you face the rust colored DI building, the pharmacy on the left (down a little mall) sold us z-pacs for $50 for 5 with a 2015 exp. date. No baggie, just 5 foil packs taped together (I did notice that she took them out of their box. Guess for $50 you don't get the box)

The 2nd Pharmacy Express is to the right of DI in the walkway to the main exit of the village. I asked to see their z-pacs & they were identical right down to the exp. dates. There was a pharmacist & his wife in the shop (cruisers, from the US). He was questioning the cashier quite a bit about the meds they sell & their cost. It very obviously made her very nervous. When he asked her if he could talk to the pharmacist, she told him that she was off for the day. The couple left after that.

So, time will tell if we bought the real thing. Will post back the outcome.

Thanks to all the posters that helped us when we had questions! It is very much appreciated!

Edited by novalab

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought meds in both Belize AND Mexico. No problems. Now I need some and not going on cruise. Anyone have a phone number? Anyone know if they ship? Talked to a ship shopping director and he said he always calls in order and picks up.

Thx.

Bugg

Has anyone had a positive experience picking up medications at a pharmacy in the port of Belize? I know there is an older thread on this board but I would love to read about some newer, more current experiences from cruisers.

We won't be filling prescriptions but are interested in any antibiotics that might be available, esp. z-packs. Have a daughter that constantly gets sinus infections in the spring & fall. Her Dr. always prescribes a z-pack. Getting tired of paying the office visit for the same thing.

Would appreciate any information, advice, or referral! Thank you!!!

There is one @ the pier that has an American pharmacist/owner who is very nice an only buys TRUSTED drugs, alot from Canada I think. Close to where u get off tender.

There is one @ the pier that has an American pharmacist/owner who is very nice an only buys TRUSTED drugs, alot from Canada I think. Close to where u get off tender.

This is the Pharmacy Express I mentioned above. The pharmacist wasn't there when we were in her store. We bought z-packs from both of the Pharmacy Express's at the cruise pier. They were the same brand with the same expiration date as well as the same packaging (foil push through cards, five packs taped together, no box). Haven't had a need to try one of them yet to see if they work. Will report back when we do.

Edited by novalab

• 5 months later...

Last week I was at the Pharmacy Express at the Belize City Ship Terminal. There are four pharmacies at the terminal owned by an American pharmacist, who states she was a Wal-Mart pharmacist for years and moved to Belize to open the pharmacies. There were "special sales" on hydrocodone, soma compound , phentermine and ambiem advertised on signs posted in the pharmacies. The pills are sold in unmarked zip lock plastic bags. I was told it was legal to purchase medication but everything needed to be placed in plastic bags so metal detectors wouldn't detect it. None of the medications were real. The hydrocodone 10mg/500mg was actually co-dydramol which contain 500 mg of tylenol per tablet and a type of codeine. The medication is sold over the counter at pharmacies in the U.K. without a prescription. The Belize pharmacy's "special" was "buy 500 Vicodin 10mg/500mg for $200 and get 100 Vicodin free". The medication is useless. The Soma Compound is actually Aleve. The Ambien is a decongestant and the phentermine is of unknown compounds. DO NOT SHOP AT PHARMACY EXPRESS in Belize City, Belize. Nothing is as it is represented ... you will lose your cash and possibly your health or life taking these medications! You have been warned!

Copycat medications are a huge problem worldwide, has even been caught in some US hospitals. I would really doubt the validity of these meds and would only try them if desperate for an immediate need. Maybe too cautious, but having lived in the Middle East and known folks who got very ill using medications that were an exact looking copycat I would be careful. Just my opinion and experience.:confused:

• 11 months later...
Last week I was at the Pharmacy Express at the Belize City Ship Terminal. There are four pharmacies at the terminal owned by an American pharmacist, who states she was a Wal-Mart pharmacist for years and moved to Belize to open the pharmacies. There were "special sales" on hydrocodone, soma compound , phentermine and ambiem advertised on signs posted in the pharmacies. The pills are sold in unmarked zip lock plastic bags. I was told it was legal to purchase medication but everything needed to be placed in plastic bags so metal detectors wouldn't detect it. None of the medications were real. The hydrocodone 10mg/500mg was actually co-dydramol which contain 500 mg of tylenol per tablet and a type of codeine. The medication is sold over the counter at pharmacies in the U.K. without a prescription. The Belize pharmacy's "special" was "buy 500 Vicodin 10mg/500mg for $200 and get 100 Vicodin free". The medication is useless. The Soma Compound is actually Aleve. The Ambien is a decongestant and the phentermine is of unknown compounds. DO NOT SHOP AT PHARMACY EXPRESS in Belize City, Belize. Nothing is as it is represented ... you will lose your cash and possibly your health or life taking these medications! You have been warned!

I was just wondering where you got this information. I'm just a curious person and always trying to learn. I want to be safe! We have bought some drugs in different ports over the years. Some have worked great and some didn't work at all.

This was copied and pasted from someone else's post in 2012. I have no doubt it it probably true but the person who posted it here obvoiusly got it from somewhere else. See: someoneelse who posted on cruise line dot com in 2012. Same post...word for word. Therefore, I doubt he/she will be back to answer how they know this information.

Edited by Calkacky

• 7 months later...

We always go to there when we cruise....and yes, the same lady owns all of the pharmacies in the port area....I was having horrible pain from arthritis in my knee...couldn't sleep or walk very far...she sold me some meds and I took one...that night, I had no pain at all and the next day in Roatan I was able to walk for a long time on our tour....it was the most pain free I had been in years...when I got home, I had the pharmacist at home look at the meds and they said that yes, those are what you would get for arthritis...everything we have gotten from her have been good and we have bought from her for about 3yrs :)

• 3 months later...