A couple questions on our upcoming Epic - Mediterranean

CCJack

We are taking the 7 day cruise out of Rome.

1) Does anyone know the hours for self - debarkation... We like to carry our luggage off to avoid the lines, etc. In Civitaveccchia we will arrange for a transfer car from romecabs or similar to the airport. I am wondering what time I should ask them to meet us. We likely will have plenty of time (1:30 flight), but don't know if NCL makes self - debarkers (not sure if that is a word), leave by 6 am, 7 am 8 am ?

2) Also, this will be our first cruise where the ship takes new 7 day cruisers from several stops (you can start your Epic cruise from Rome, Barcelona, or Marseille, I believe.) Can we expect roughtly 1/3 of the passengers to be in debarkation with us, with the remaining 2/3 heading to Rome for their day excursions? Or do most people start in Rome or Barcelona with fewer in Marseille? Just trying to estimate the crowds.

Lastly 3) will there be any scenery from the ship (we have a starboard balcony) as we move up the Italian coast? Or will we be too far out to sea?

thanks,

1) We did self-debarkation at this port and got off relatively late... I don't remember the exact time, but I think about 10 a.m. That being said, I would allow extra extra time for the FCO airport, if you haven't left from there before. It took us much longer than anticipated to navigate, and if you are flying on a US-based carrier you actually leave from an "off site" terminal (specially designed to comply with elevated US post-9/11 standards).

2) When we went in May 2012, the only options were Barcelona and Rome. The vast majority boarded in Barcelona, and after visting that port I can see why. The Barcelona port is relatively user-friendly and close to most of the hotels/attractions. Rome is a bit more challenging, with the airport, city and Civitavecchia port all spread out. All very worth it to me in order to spend a few extra days in Rome, though! Also, there was a muster drill specifically for those that boarded in Rome, which we went to... we stayed in the cabin a few days later when the newcomers boarded in Barcelona, believing that we weren't required to muster twice in one sailing. That was an incorrect assumption, apparently. :o

3) You will have some really cool views from your balcony, especially when approaching/leaving the port areas. We loved our starboard balcony!

Archived