WTY balcony on Jewel class or BD on Norwegian Sun?

sthelder

Hi, I am about to book a transcanal cruise in Sep/Oct 2014, this would be my first cruise with NCL. Any input or thoughts are most welcomed!

There are three options that I am looking into, two of them are Norwegian Jewel and Norwegian Pearl. The other is Norwegian Sun. From the members' reviews, my preferred choices would have been the two Jewel class vessels, and booking a guaranteed balcony (WTY on my TA website). From the reviews, it seems like NCL always managed to fill up the ship, but the guarantee balcony price and the low initial deposit is very attractive.

A balcony is desirable as with a young daughter, we want some private family times and it's easier than deck hopping.

My question is are there many undesirable balcony cabins (mainly on noice level and motions, as my DD5 is a light sleeper) that it may actually be better for me to get an early bird upgrade BD balcony on Norwegian Sun (choices are mostly bow balcony cabins on deck 9)?

Would appreciate any input on Jewel's deck 8 balcony cabins (forward, above the theatre), would they be noisy, and usually until what time the performance will end at night?

As I think the worst guaranteed balcony I could get is one of these balcony cabins.

Thanks in advance!

IF (and I suspect it is a big IF, they typically go fast) you can snag one of the two bow facing balconies on Deck 11 of Sun, I would do it in a heartbeat. While you will give up the nicer shower on the Jewel class ships (Sun's are smaller and have a round shower with a curtain as opposed to the larger, glass doored ones of Jewel, Gem, etc) you will get a HUGE balcony, a living area comparable in size and furnishings to one of the penthouse suites on the Jewel class ships and perhaps the opportunity to meet your neighbors in the Owner's Suite next door...maybe they will even invite you to use the hot tub on their balcony.:D

The canal is on my bucket list and doing it in one of these staterooms (presuming I can't afford a suite which is most likely to be the case:() on Sun will be a requirement.

Would appreciate any input on Jewel's deck 8 balcony cabins (forward, above the theatre), would they be noisy, and usually until what time the performance will end at night?

As I think the worst guaranteed balcony I could get is one of these balcony cabins.

Thanks in advance!

We sailed in a BD balcony cabin on deck 8 on the Gem and I don't recall any noise at all. However, it was the one most toward the mid ship. But would be right near the elevators and thus right above where the people let out of the theater.

We also had a BD balcony on the Jewel. I don't recall any noise from the Stardust Theatre, but weren't in the cabin while the shows were happening either.

One thing to be aware of, the BD balcony cabins on deck 8 are hull balconies and not as open as the regular balcony cabins. We didn't have an issue with it but some people don't like them.

Thanks everyone for your input and tips. They are helpful and reassuring.

Bow balcony cabins at Sun's pool deck are already taken. Agree it would be a great bargain at BA rate.

Thanks for the note on an enclosed balcony, noted that too. Though never in one myself, but since the price is right and if it's what the engineers thought necessary to protect the occupants from the elements, I will take it. Just hope the seas will be kind to us and we will still be able to stand in the balcony and enjoy the views on sea days. :p

Hi rmdragwa, if you don't mind, I have an additional question for you, do you mean you were able to hear people came out/went into the lift on deck 7/8 or noises when people came out from the theatre? If it is the former, it may be a little annoying, especially on the night before disembarkation day (when luggages are collected at midnight).

But would be right near the elevators and thus right above where the people let out of the theater.

Archived