Biscuits and Gravy

fakeanne

How likely is it that I could write in an order for biscuits and gravy on the room sevice card and actually get them? Do they serve good down home breakfast food like hashbrowns, bacon, eggs, grits, biscuits and gravy? Or, am I stuck with fruit and yogurt for the week??

If you go to the dining room you can get eggs just about anyway you like them. Bacon, sausage, toast. Bagels - cream cheese, lox, all kinds of jams and jelly. Not sure about gravy and biscuits :) Coffe (not good), tea, juice and my favorite to start the day a mamosa.

You could give it a try for your favorites - one never knows:)

I had biscuits and gravy on The Grand in February.

I generally love all their food, but uhhhm.....being Mississippi-born, and raised in the South....this gravy was tasteless. I don't recommend even trying. Amazingly, they did well with grits in Horizon Court. They were available almost every day. You can get them thru room service for breakfast, but the problem is getting the person to understand what they ARE. The person taking the orders is usually foreign. On the Coral, I ordered grits for breakfast in the room, and I got GRAPES instead.

They had biscuits and gravy one morning at the Horizon Court buffet on the Island - I could have played hockey with the biscuits, and the gravy was just white glop. Didn't see grits or hashbrowns. Bacon was odd - stayed with me all day...Eggs are a stand-out - benedict, scrambled, or made to order at the omelet station.

I figured the biscuits and gravy were a nod to the many Southerners who seemed to be aboard - but a disappointing nod. Best to enjoy what cruise ships are good at - fresh fruit, pastries, seafood, well-cooked steak, and save the down-home for home.

I think some of the breakfast selections are regional. You could get both biscuits and gravy (gravy looked nasty) and grits (not brave enough to try them) on Grand Princess when she sailed out of Galveston. I'll stick with the kippers.

As far as ordering off of the room service menu, it is for sure hit and miss. While on the Diamond last week, I put down a request for a few pieces of bacon (easy right?) - Nope. Didnt get it. The person delivering told me that "they dont do that here". I have recieved it before - off of the suite menu, of course, but also my first cruise as an Elite. I think it depends on the people staffing and how helpful they are. I wouldnt think you could get biscuits and gravy, I dont think I have seen it before.

Casey

What are the biscuits you refer to? I understand the gravy part, but couldn't imagine serving it with my chocolate digestives :D I've never had 'grits' either.

As a Brit, please enlighten me. Thank you... I'm not sure if my mouth should be watering or not.

What are the biscuits you refer to? I understand the gravy part, but couldn't imagine serving it with my chocolate digestives :D I've never had 'grits' either.

As a Brit, please enlighten me. Thank you... I'm not sure if my mouth should be watering or not.

No, not chocolate biscuits! Lol!

Here is a link... let me know if it helps (these, of course, are NOT home-made biscuits!!)

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/search/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=biscuits+and+gravy

Last week on the Island Princess I had biscuits and something like gravy in the Horizon Court. They were okay but not like southern food. I am from Canada and I love to taste southern cooking. This wasn't anything like it, but then I had low expectations to begin with.

Biscuits are a type of single serving round bread using baking powder for the leavening agent instead of yeast. They are a common breakfast bread in the midwest and south and go great with 'sausage gravy'. A white gravy that is usually mixed with bulk sausage to add flavor.

I think some of the breakfast selections are regional. You could get both biscuits and gravy (gravy looked nasty) and grits (not brave enough to try them) on Grand Princess when she sailed out of Galveston. I'll stick with the kippers.

Just what ARE grits and for that matter biscuits and gravy? Gravy is made from meat juices and served with the joint of meat, and grit is in my bird's cage!

I have heard of them now is your chance to educamate me!!:confused:

Biscuits and Gravy - translation for the Brits

Ok imagine a scone without the sugar but a little bit greasier - this is the easy part.

Gravy - a bit like a roux but pepperier.

Really really good:D

If in doubt go for stack of pancakes, bacon and maple syrup:)

Can't wait to get back to Tennessee:D:D

Thankfully Princess do English bacon alternate days (well GP did)

On the Golden, if you went to the Grill and "asked" they cooked 'back' bacon to order (every day).

The biscuit sounds fine, the gravy (okayish) but, now my dilemma is what is 'bulk' sausage? Sausage yes, but BULK!! :D

Laura

'Bulk' sausage - can only hazard a guess that it is something like Jimmy Dean's sausage, which comes in a package like our sausage meat, which is

then sliced and fried. This is only a guess:confused:

Somebody will put us right I'm sure.:)

Grits are basically just ground corn, cooked like a porridge and served hot as a breakfast cereal, similar to oatmeal. Sometimes called hominy grits because the corn is processed. (Yes, I was raised in the South.)

Grits are basically just ground corn, cooked like a porridge and served hot as a breakfast cereal, similar to oatmeal. Sometimes called hominy grits because the corn is processed. (Yes, I was raised in the South.)

When I went to college in the South I had grits for the first time. I actually thought I was eating cream of wheat. It wasn't untill I phoned home and told my mother that I was eating "grainy" cream of wheat for breakfast, that she informed me that I was probably eating grits.

All we need now is PGtips tea and we're made up as we say up north!

and a pint of brown bitter - Tetleys with Manns Brown. It's why my hubbie goes home... we can't get it down here!

My thanks too, for everyone help with this thread.

Laura

'Bulk' sausage - can only hazard a guess that it is something like Jimmy Dean's sausage, which comes in a package like our sausage meat, which is

then sliced and fried. This is only a guess:confused:

Somebody will put us right I'm sure.:)

Bulk sausage is sausage that is not in a casing. And Jimmy Dean's sausage is bulk sausage.

In America, biscuits are a small round roll leavened with baking powder.

The gravy that is being referred to in "biscuits and gravy" is a cream gravy, not the brown kind made with meat drippings. It is made with sausage.

To eat biscuits and gravy, you open up the biscuits and then pour the gravy over the biscuits. You then eat it with a fork and a knife.

Grits are made with corn, and look similar to Cream of Wheat. I don't like grits myself and I live in the South.

Biscuits - if you don't fancy the gravy - split them and spread with jam (jelly). Better still if you can get marmalade. Whatever, DON'T miss the biscuits.

I've got some chocolate gravy mix sat in the cupboard - can't face it - if anybody wants to give it a go:eek:

Archived