Thomson Dream - don't see the Doctor

Hi,

This is my first post and apologies that it's negative but I really want to warn people about the medical care on the Thomson Dream. Whilst on Thomson Dream, Latin Gems, in January I had to visit the ship's Doctor as I became unwell with a water infection. He gave me painkillers and antibiotics which he asked me to take in front of him, there was no information about side effects and I was in a lot of pain so I didn't think to query anything, the tablets were in a plain envelope with no documents. By the end of the week I was covered head to toe in an extremely painful rash which got worse upon returning home.

My GP explained that I have extreme prickly heat as the antibiotic the Doctor gave me causes photo sensitivity and I should never have been prescribed it whilst at risk of significant sun exposure. I only took one antibiotic from a pack of 7 and I'm not much of a sunbather so I dread to think what state I could have ended up in. I'm in constant pain at the moment nearly 2 weeks after I took the tablet and my GP doesn't know how long it will last for.

Thomson do not care less and say that it is my fault for taking the antibiotic. It doesn't appear that I can get anywhere with them without incurring further costs, I've already had to pay £70 for the treatment on board plus further treatment costs in the UK.

I just want other people to be really careful if they are unfortunate enough to become ill on the ship. Please don't put your trust in the Doctor like I did as he doesn't know what he's doing. That antibiotic is restricted in the UK because of it's known side effects in relation to skin reactions, in my opinion it should never have been on the ship.

Hi,

This is my first post and apologies that it's negative but I really want to warn people about the medical care on the Thomson Dream. Whilst on Thomson Dream, Latin Gems, in January I had to visit the ship's Doctor as I became unwell with a water infection. He gave me painkillers and antibiotics which he asked me to take in front of him, there was no information about side effects and I was in a lot of pain so I didn't think to query anything, the tablets were in a plain envelope with no documents. By the end of the week I was covered head to toe in an extremely painful rash which got worse upon returning home.

My GP explained that I have extreme prickly heat as the antibiotic the Doctor gave me causes photo sensitivity and I should never have been prescribed it whilst at risk of significant sun exposure. I only took one antibiotic from a pack of 7 and I'm not much of a sunbather so I dread to think what state I could have ended up in. I'm in constant pain at the moment nearly 2 weeks after I took the tablet and my GP doesn't know how long it will last for.

Thomson do not care less and say that it is my fault for taking the antibiotic. It doesn't appear that I can get anywhere with them without incurring further costs, I've already had to pay £70 for the treatment on board plus further treatment costs in the UK.

I just want other people to be really careful if they are unfortunate enough to become ill on the ship. Please don't put your trust in the Doctor like I did as he doesn't know what he's doing. That antibiotic is restricted in the UK because of it's known side effects in relation to skin reactions, in my opinion it should never have been on the ship.

Are you sure it was a MD or a nurse practitioner (nurse allowed to dispense certain drugs) ?

Hi, there is a team called Thomson cares, have you contacted them ?

thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk

They may be able to help, please dont give up if you get a negative response, keep writing in, they have recently sorted out a problem for me and were really helpful.

(I did have to persist and it took three emails as the first two just had an "im sorry...." reply but i emailed a third time and stressed how upset i was, they phoned and couldnt have been more helpful.)

I think with being such a huge company they get lots of complaints and they have to be strict but keep going and im sure they will help.

That's not good,thank you for the warning. In my opinion if you see a doctor abroard they always seem to over prescribe treatment, but I agree a water infection usually needs antibiotics.

It seems strange they will give you a drug that's restricted here considering the vast majority of their customers are from the UK. He should have said to keep out of the sun ( errr I think we go on a Caribbean cruise to get some sun.....)

Not too sure why you said you will incur futher costs here though or do you just mean for prescriptions?

You can claim on your holiday ins but I expect the excess is £50.

Thanks for your replies.

I've been contacting Thomson through Twitter and Thomsoncares but this is the gist of what they have said "If a customer seeks medical advice and medication is required, it is at the customers discretion should they wish to take the medication and would be their responsibility to ensure they read the possible side effects that may occur and I'm sorry if you felt differently"

They have said that they won't provide compensation (I hadn't actually asked for any) and I can go through their legal department but I'll need a GP report (further cost) and to provide witnesses etc.

I had to call in sick to work one day last week as I hadn't slept properly due to the itching from the rash keeping me awake so I've lost pay there and I've had to pay out for prescriptions and a whole host of different creams and lotions.

Thanks for that as i am currently on antibiotics though they are the sort you can stop when infection has cleared. On checking, these also say be careful if you are likely to be exposed to strong sunlight as they may cause a rash. So hopefully by Friday, my eye will be better and i can come off them before we go away at the weekend.

"they have said "If a customer seeks medical advice and medication is required, it is at the customers discretion should they wish to take the medication and would be their responsibility to ensure they read the possible side effects that may occur and I'm sorry if you felt differently"

Perhaps you should point out to Thomson that NO documentation was provided for you to read about the side effects! Thomson need to know this I think.

Did you only take one tablet? I thought anti-biotics were usually a 7 day course (in this country) and you would have to take them all to be effective?

You seem to have had a bad experience.

In contrast, when my husband saw the doctor on The Spirit we had nothing but praise for the advice and treatment he received, so I don't think others should be deterred from seeking medical attention when they need help- even though in your case understandably it will have put you off.

Flopsy

I have suffered the symptoms you describe. Its like the worst sunburn and worst itch imaginable from head to toe!! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! However just as a thought it could be possible that it isn't the photo sensitivity side effect you have suffered but an allergic reaction. One teaspoon of Benylin cough mixture done this to me and I was never allergic to it before. I have suffered this twice as I happened to be on antibiotics the first time so it was assumed that was what caused it. On the second occasion no antibiotic was in the equation and a teaspoon of Benylin almost put me in hospital and certainly resulted in hydrocortosone injections with the emergency GP. It is assumed I am allergic to the decongestant but could be another ingredient so much so I cannot get a drop of cough medicine on my skin.

I took anti histamine and lots of cool baths but I'm afraid I just had to wait it out which did take about 3 weeks. You really have my sympathy, its absolutely horrible. I have also never heard of anyone else until now having suffered similar to me.

Get Well Soon

Thank whistlerbc it's good that someone else understands, when you tell people it's a rash I don't think they understand how much it actually hurts. Yours sounds like it was awful. For the first couple of days I thought it must have been a reaction to my suntan lotion, it had never happened before but it was in all the areas that I had worn it and nothing else had changed. That's what I went to my GP about but when I told her the name of the antibiotic she was positive that it was because of the antibiotic and I've seen quite a bit online about that particular antibiotic.

I didn't get any information on what I had been given by the Doctor at the time but a couple of days later the medical bill came through and gave the name.

In the UK if a doctor prescribes something I read the label and read about it online. Being far away from home, without feasible internet access and in a lot of pain I didn't do that and I feel stupid for trusting the Doctor to mention if there were any potential issues. I only took one tablet as a few hours after taking the prescribed painkillers I felt back to normal and decided I didn't want to take the full course, I try to avoid antibiotics when possible. I did say to my GP that I'd only taken one and she said that was enough to cause the reaction.

Edited by sazrina

Hi Sazrina

I too went to see the doctor. Your right he is a bit of a quack!

I had a bad throat just before we went away but the cold had virtually gone. When we landed my ears blocked up and were uncomfortable. I went and asked for some decongestants but instead he gave me bloody lozengers, a cough bottle and put me on a nebulizer for 10mins.Total cost £76. Not complaining about the price as it is classed as a private consultation and at BMI that would cost at least £80 plus medication. I had to get off in Curacao and find a chemist so i could buy some decongestants. Not sure what would happen if you were seriously ill!

Thank whistlerbc it's good that someone else understands, when you tell people it's a rash I don't think they understand how much it actually hurts. Yours sounds like it was awful. For the first couple of days I thought it must have been a reaction to my suntan lotion, it had never happened before but it was in all the areas that I had worn it and nothing else had changed. That's what I went to my GP about but when I told her the name of the antibiotic she was positive that it was because of the antibiotic and I've seen quite a bit online about that particular antibiotic.

I didn't get any information on what I had been given by the Doctor at the time but a couple of days later the medical bill came through and gave the name.

In the UK if a doctor prescribes something I read the label and read about it online. Being far away from home, without feasible internet access and in a lot of pain I didn't do that and I feel stupid for trusting the Doctor to mention if there were any potential issues. I only took one tablet as a few hours after taking the prescribed painkillers I felt back to normal and decided I didn't want to take the full course, I try to avoid antibiotics when possible. I did say to my GP that I'd only taken one and she said that was enough to cause the reaction.

Not a good idea this is why antibiotics are becoming less effective.

The bacteria that still lives (when you don't take all your doses) is the "stronger" group, or more resistant to antibiotics.

These possibly are multiplying and now you have bacteria that is harder to kill and antibiotics lose their power.

Should others become infected they now would have a super strain :eek:.

Just because we feel better does not mean the infection has gone ,Lets complete our courses , our kids and grandkids

will need these medications in future years . :)

I have found everything people have been saying interesting and thankyou for bringing this up. We will be on the dream in 3 weeks with a 20 month old and in preparation have looked up chemists at all the destinations in case we need anything. I have called at a chemist in Antigua previously and bought cough medicine which was manufactured 2 miles from my home for about 3 times the price which was quite funny. If something isnt too urgent its probably worth waiting till we land.

Kalos I can understand what you are saying but I don't think I'm going to have spread a super strength version of Cystitis to anyone...

If you do you will have your minute of fame :D

I was not just refering to you ,thats why I said "Lets complete our courses " ;):)

• 3 years later...

My wife got an eye infection when we were on Majesty a couple of years ago. The doctor did an ecg(!) and said she needed Warfarin. He also gave her eye drops. £70 later he let her go. On return she went for a routine check up at our GP, no fault found!

I was on dream last year and had an eye infection, went to ships medical centre and saw the doctor, he was Russian I think but don't quote me on that.

Basically he looked at my eye checked my vital signs took my blood pressure and gave me eye drops and eye ointment, all medication was in Greek with no English translation, and charged me £77 for the 10 mins I was there !

I was on dream last year and had an eye infection, went to ships medical centre and saw the doctor, he was Russian I think but don't quote me on that.

Basically he looked at my eye checked my vital signs took my blood pressure and gave me eye drops and eye ointment, all medication was in Greek with no English translation, and charged me £77 for the 10 mins I was there !

That looks about right for an onboard consultation, prescription and medication provided. I had a consultation on P&O with a british doctor and that's about what it cost.

ps - know you know how lucky we are having the NHS. If you had to pay to see the doctor it would cost £50 plus :eek:

pps - On Thomson Spirit they treated me for a frozen shoulder and on the same cruise a badly lacerated leg requiring daily dressing and antbiotics etc. I paid for the frozen shoulder but as the leg was injured on an excursion they waived the charge. The doctor was Bulgarian.

ppps - On my last Majesty cruise the doctor was from Slovenia or somewhere. he was taking a more relaxing job as his last was in Iraq or afganistan. You don't get many gunshot wounds or blown up people on a cruise :rolleyes:

As Dave rightly says most brits take the NHS for granted and have no idea how much private medical care costs. That sounds cheap to me for a consultation and drugs. We are all guilty of taking the NHS for granted and should think about how much it would cost us before we next moan about it. Try having a minor proceedure or breaking a bone in the likes of the states. Should all be covered by insurance too so no real personal cost.

• 2 weeks later...