First time QM2 luggage question

Hawaii136

Well, DH and I are first timers. We are used to traveling light. We are on May 3 TA from NY to Southampton. We live near SFO so will be flying to NY a few days before. Once we land in UK, we will be traveling to multiple European capitals, mostly by plane, although one leg is via train( berlin to hamburg)for 3 weeks, then heading home.

Hoping to pack all we need into one 22inch suitcase each, one large tote, one 20 inch collapsible carry-on. The tote can slide over the handle of one suitcase, and the other carryon over the handle of the other suitcase.

1. Is it possible to get from dock to stateroom rolling our suitcases or will there be some steps?

2. Same question for self disembarkation at southhampton.

3. DH planning to take a tux. I am planning to take one fancy black cocktail length dress, one beaded top, dressy jacket, pants and skirt to mix/match.

Think we can pack everything in this amount of luggage. Does it sound reasonable?

Thanks

1. Is it possible to get from dock to stateroom rolling our suitcases or will there be some steps?

Why not let Cunard put them in your stateroom? That way you don't need to carry them around with you if your stateroom is not ready.

On my first trip to Europe as an adult I had a 24" suitcase for 10 weeks -- (I didn't have to have any formal wear) but did have to buy a small suitcase to bring home the stuff I bought!

Well, DH and I are first timers. We are used to traveling light. We are on May 3 TA from NY to Southampton. We live near SFO so will be flying to NY a few days before. Once we land in UK, we will be traveling to multiple European capitals, mostly by plane, although one leg is via train( berlin to hamburg)for 3 weeks, then heading home.

Hoping to pack all we need into one 22inch suitcase each, one large tote, one 20 inch collapsible carry-on. The tote can slide over the handle of one suitcase, and the other carry-on over the handle of the other suitcase.

2. Same question for self disembarkation at Southampton.

3. DH planning to take a tux. I am planning to take one fancy black cocktail length dress, one beaded top, dressy jacket, pants and skirt to mix/match.

Think we can pack everything in this amount of luggage. Does it sound reasonable?

Thanks

1. once you have checked in the next time you see your cases is in your stateroom (all cases go to be scanned)

2. You need to advise the pursers that you will be doing 'Self Disembarkation' otherwise all cases are placed outside your stateroom by mid-night and are taken away Again the next time one sees their cases is outside in the terminal hall

3. sounds good (We are packing for 40 day cruise and have to be able to man-handle it)

Unless you have an early connection there is no need to manhandle cases at all. Simply deposit them with the porters on arrival and collect them from the baggage hall on departure. There you will either use a porter to carry them to your onward transport, or you can wheel them yourself using a trolley.

Take it easy you are on vacation.

David

1. once you have checked in the next time you see your cases is in your stateroom (all cases go to be scanned)

2. You need to advise the pursers that you will be doing 'Self Disembarkation' otherwise all cases are placed outside your stateroom by mid-night and are taken away Again the next time one sees their cases is outside in the terminal hall

3. sounds good (We are packing for 40 day cruise and have to be able to man-handle it)

There are two routes for embarking luggage. Larger cases are taken by porters as you arrive at the terminal. I suppose they're scanned somewhere along the way, but I can't swear to this. Carry-on luggage is scanned as you go through security. The baggage scanners at security are like the ones at the airport, so large cases cannot be carried on. I don't know if 22-inch cases go thorugh a security-point scanner. I suggest putting valuables and fragile items in your carry-on bags, and let the porters handle the two larger cases. It's much easier to board that way. You'll need a hand for your cruise card, as it must be scanned as you enter the ship. Having just one bag each will reduce the juggling needed at that point.

You should have no trouble with your bags with two. Its a quick taxi ride from the terminal in Southampton to the rail station. If your going up to London, ask the driver to let you off on the "London" side of the station, so you don't have to haul the bags up and over the rail way bridge.

However, since you planning to take formal clothes for the crossing which you may not need before or after, you might consider White Star Luggage a service Cunard provides.

You pack a bag with your formal togs, shoes, etc in advance. Cunard picks it up a week or 10 days before sailing date, and the next time you see it is in your stateroom aboard. You repack the same bag the day before arrival, place it in the hallway with the proper tags and it will be shipped back to your home or business or friend who can receive it.

There is a charge for this, and some forms to fill out for unaccompanied baggage. I have used this service more than 15 times and its god sent. Call your travel arranger or Cunard for more information. There is nothing worse than hauling bags you don't need around.

Another suggestion I will make is have the ship launder or clean any thing you use before you arrive, so your not hauling a bunch of dirty clothes around. This can reduce the amount of stuff you need to pack carry with you.

Bon Voyage, Mike

Archived