Holiday Review 5-28-05

mcw331

Hello to All,

We just returned from 5-night Holiday and had a great time.

Demographics:

I'm 37 and my wife is 29. We are seasoned cruisers and have been on many different cruise lines including both small and large boats.

(It had been a while since we had been on a "small one" like the Holiday).

We selected the Holiday based on: 1) Close proximity of port to our home 2) Price/Value 3) Wanting to try a small boat again 4)And the many favorable reviews esp service).

Parking/Embarkation:

We arrived via car in Mobile at noon. Pulling into the port your ticket will be checked (Have it out to save time). Then you are directed to the luggage drop off (a tip of $1-2 per bag is much appreciated by the porters). We carried on our hanging bag (they do not have a good method for transporting it hanging). From the drop off you are directed to the parking garage... two lines cash or credit $10 per day prepaid (Credit card is much faster). At this time 12:10 pm the second level of the 4 level garage was filling up (level 4 is not covered). From the parking garage you take the elevator back down and walk into the terminal (Have tickets and picture I.D.'s out). The terminal is new clean and very efficient. What looks like a long line moves fast. When they check you in they will get a cresit card fand issue you sail and sign card (This port now gives the Gold card to returning guests... no perks yet but still kinda cool). From her you get your boarding picture and are allowed to board. You are not supposed to go to your cabin until 1:30... but we were able to drop off our hanging bag in the cabin and head up to the Lido Deck without difficulty. On the Lido Deck at 12:55 where a buffet and our indulgence began... 55 minutes from pulling in the parking lot until sitting on the Lido deck...

I think that their embarkation process is very efficient.

Stateroom & Steward(ess)

We were Outside Upper 183. It was located starboard side about 10 cabins from the back of the boat. It was clean, small but nice, large window, shower no tub, one electrical outlet in the cabin (bring a spliter or strip). Our Cabin Stewardess was very nice and helpful. She kept us stocked with extra ice and as any cabin steward(ess) knows how to get in and out at just the right time. The only downside which is not uncommon but i felt more pronounced on Holiday... was low water pressure in the shower during peak times, like getting ready for dinner (if it is a problem try and shower a little earlier.

Our bags arrived at about 4pm with the 6-bottles of wine we carried on and 2 bottles of liquor intact.

The ride... the first 2-3 days were smooth BUT being at the back of the boat it does a small flutter back and forth even in smooth water (imagine riding in the back of a school bus). If you are sensitive to seasickness get a room in the middle of the boat and it will be minimal or non existent. It did roll a good bit on night 3 and day 4 but not to bad.

Day 1

After eating lunch on Lido we explored the boat and learned the lay of the land.

We checked out the spa for any specials. !0% off first day. We booked to Pedicures and foor massage. $50 each (book early as they only have a few appointments on this short day). This was done in the saloon and was nice (no different from back home but part of beginning the week of indulgence). The saloon was clean and nice but the windows were up high so that you could not see out of them (on the Conquest you sit in front of a huge window).

Next we wanted a table for 2 and the 8 o'clock seating (we had 8-10 and 8:30). We saw the Maitre'D at 1:00, he opens four request at 1:00 in the Four Seasons Dining Room. He was able to accommodate our request. (if you go later he will have less options available). Usually we like sitting at larger tables and meeting new people but this we wanted to be more intimate.

Dining Room

We were in the Seven Seas Dining Room. It also was clean and well kept. Our sevice was excellent and so was the food (on par or probablely a little better than Conquest). Our Head waiter was very knowledgeable about wine and very accomodating with corking our wine and even taking care of our stemware we brought on (sorry i'm just a little bit of a "wine snob") Their wine selection and reserve selection is very nice and priced well. Full wine review elsewhere.

Shows & Entertainment

We enjoyed them all. But really would like to see more of the dancing shows. The comedians were great and the foot juggler was really amazing.

Costa Maya

We book our own excusions. In Costa Maya we did the Mayan ruins tour with Ivan. He is a native born at the base of the Chacchoben Ruins. You meet him in Mahahaul a small town that is a five minute cab ride away. He had 6 of the eight scheduled no show (shame on them) we all were informed that the operators allowed in the port try and intercept his business. Good for us there was just my wife and I and our guide Ivan. We saw the other tours there in groups of 30-40. Ivan provide so much by including info on the Mayan Culture, Bottled waters, Bug spray and an overall personal touch I'm sure others did not get in larger groups.

The tour takes 4-5 hours if it doesn't interest you definitely visit the town of Mahahaul and even hanging out at the port there is a huge pool and Beach.

Cozumel

We went scuba diving with a small operator we have used for years and as usual it was incredible.

Margarita chips and Salsa and a sampler platter at the port when we returned were great.

Disembarkation

A little slower than embarkation.

Definitely grab a porter immediately when you get in the baggage area they take you through a different line that is much quicker.

Summary

We really enjoyed the Holiday and will cruise her again. I understand that the Holiday has been position for drive-to first time cruisers. And for that it is perfect. But even a seasoned cruiser with the right expectations can enjoy this smaller boat.

The staff and servive probably does exceed the newer bigger boats.

Lines are much smaller (even though the ship was "full" it never felt like a cattle call)

Food as good or better.

Ports... well the same.

Happy Cruising

Thx, Mike. I enjoyed reading your review. I'm glad to see that y'all enjoyed the Holiday as much as I have. I agree that the smaller ships seem to have a more intimate feel, and the service can't be beat. I've felt pampered on each and every Holiday cruise, and have had the best stewards and wait staff! I have to agree also about the food being so good. I thought it was much better on the Holiday than on the Sensation.

I guess "Shout!" and "Fuego del Caribe" are still the two production shows? They don't change often, and I've seen the same two shows on each of my four Holiday cruises, but thoroughly enjoyed them each time....always a different cast, and always very entertaining!:)

mcw221,

Thanks for the review!! we can hardly wait for our "Warm up B4 Winter" Cruise Critic group cruise in October. We are looking forward to being on the Holiday, personally, I enjoy the smaller ships.

Costa Maya

We book our own excusions. In Costa Maya we did the Mayan ruins tour with Ivan. He is a native born at the base of the Chacchoben Ruins. You meet him in Mahahaul a small town that is a five minute cab ride away. He had 6 of the eight scheduled no show (shame on them) we all were informed that the operators allowed in the port try and intercept his business. Good for us there was just my wife and I and our guide Ivan. We saw the other tours there in groups of 30-40. Ivan provide so much by including info on the Mayan Culture, Bottled waters, Bug spray and an overall personal touch I'm sure others did not get in larger groups.

The tour takes 4-5 hours if it doesn't interest you definitely visit the town of Mahahaul and even hanging out at the port there is a huge pool and Beach.

MIke,

More about your tour with Ivan. How did you find him, cost, etc?

Thanks,

Kristina

Oldmedic & Familyoutdoors,

We dove with Victor Cassanova "El Gato" and his company wildcat divers again. We have dove with him on 5 different occasions over the last 6 years and always had a wonderful experience. This time we paid $85 each for 2 -Tank dive ( #1 80-90 Wall Dive and #2 45-50 Reef Dive) This included equipment ( we brought mask & fins he provided the rest). We meet him at the Caletta Marina (a $5-$7 cab ride... 5 min). He will drop you off near the port BUT we have recently found it quicker and easier just to cab it back. We took my father diving in Nov 2004 when we were on the conquest and he thought it was the best dive he had been on. His boat is small the Caletta horbor is not glamorous but his service and the overall dive experience is one of the BEST I have experienced in my 25 years of diving (Tied with the Grand Caymans).

His website is www.amproductions.com/wildcat.html

Costa Maya - Chacchobem Ruins

Ivan and his partner David have a small but top notch operation. We paid $43 each. You must take a taxi to Mahahaul village from the port. Walk straight through the port tell the you are going to Mahahaul (NOT for a tour or they will convence you he is out of business). Taxi is like $7.

Once there you will wait for the group to meet and then they (Ivan & David) will transport you to the Chacchoben Ruin via Van or Bus (45-50 min ride) One there they will give you ice cold bottled water, bug spray & tickets. Then take you on a personal tour of the ruins. I'm sure their largest group is still much smaller than the commercial operators at the port. We even toured what is left of Ivan's home (mainly the stone Kitchen) less than 100 yards from Temple #1. You can really tell his heart is still there and these ruins mean alot more than a pile of rocks to him. We felt very fortunate to cross paths in our life with this individual. They provided transportation back to Mahahaul or the port. Great experience, great service and great value.

Website www.chacchobenruins.com

Enjoy your cruises

Thanks so much for the review! We leave in a few weeks and have also cruised on the Conquest~ I think you have assured us that it will be an interesting change from the larger ship (we LOVE the Conquest).

Thanks for the review. What was your cabin stewards name? We were in cabin U177 and had Ana. She was the best yet of our cruising history. We took a roll-on cooler and she kept it packed with ice.

We did not get a chance to tell her bye. We did not see her the last night. So we asked another room steward about her. He said she developed a leg infection and was in the infirmary. I hope mcw331 had her too and can tell us she is ok. She had a knack for whizzing in and out at the right time. She kept quite about all of our smuggled stuff in our room.

Archived