Checking In Luggage

How long will it normally take for the crew to deliver my luggage to my stateroom after check in? Is it compulsory to check in my luggage at the drop off area at the pier or can I take it with me instead of having the crew deliver it?

Hard to say when luggage will be delivered..this has varied from cruise to cruise..At times it has been in our cabin when we get there other times before muster and sometimes after.

If your luggage will fit through the (airport type) scanners you can hand carry it onboard with you..However..your cabin won't be available to you to access until usually 1:00pm..I for one don't care to schlep it everywhere with me until then, as I usually board as early as they allow. This is where a small carryon with any essentials you may need comes in handy.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do I have to wait for my luggage to arrive or will they bring it into the room?
Sometimes they bring it in, but most often they leave it in the hallway right outside your door.

No need to wait around for it. Go get something to eat, explore the ship and enjoy yourselves.

There is no telling how soon the luggage will be delivered as it seems to vary from one cruise to another, even for the same stateroom on the same ship.

Sometimes all the checked bags for the same stateroom are delivered in the same batch, and sometimes they are delivered in separate batches, even if they were all checked in at the pier together and placed on the same luggage cart.

We repeatedly found that the type of luggage tag put on the bag does not make any difference in determining how quickly the bag actually shows up, despite claims to the contrary.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do I have to wait for my luggage to arrive or will they bring it into the room?

No stupid question at all...I have found more and more cabin stewards are actually putting your luggage into your cabin..less obstacles in the busy hallways and a concern for making sure it gets to you..an attention to detail for many good stewards.

No, you never have to personally "wait" for it.

How long will it normally take for the crew to deliver my luggage to my stateroom after check in? Is it compulsory to check in my luggage at the drop off area at the pier or can I take it with me instead of having the crew deliver it?

Very rarely, our luggage will come after we go to dinner. We now take a carry on so we can change for dinner if that happens.

We typically get on the ship around noon. Then we spend that time checking out the ship, taking pictures, getting familiar.

No way would I want to have luggage with me.

Also, we dress that day with what we will be going to MDR in, as muster happens at 4:00, sailaway at 5:00 then off to MDR at 6:00.

I would say that, based on my experience, you would typically expect to have your bags within 2-3 hours of boarding. But there are times when it can be slower than that, and it may even be after dinner. Most people choose to just bring a carry-on with a few essentials.

Our luggage had always been delivered by 1:00 on our prior two cruises. This last cruise, when we were in a full-fledged suite, we didn't received it until after 5pm. My calls for a pack n play also went unanswered - I made the first one at 1 and had to call again at 6. Finally the head of housekeeping for our deck came down and apologized. We received our bags quickly after that - I think someone called out sick. I wouldn't have minded if only they'd communicated that earlier!

Thanks for the replies. I'm a cruise novice so I have no idea what to expect. I'm scared my luggage could be delivered to the wrong stateroom (since there are so many bags to deliver to so many staterooms), which I hope, rarely happens if at all.

If it is brought to another room, it is "usually" corrected quickly.

Only one time did one of our luggage arrive after dinner and sometime while we were at the show, rest of time it has been delvered before Muster and in time for us to unpack and put away. I always have a carry on with up to 3 days worth of clothing including evening wear in case it is late or worse. Except for one cruise where they asked us to leave our carry on near the elevator and placed it in our stateoom when ready, most of the time our main luggage is sitting in front of our cabin in the hall.

Archived