Another motion sick question

4merlurker

I am prone to motion sickness (air,sea,car etc) and I cannot read even for a minute in a car/train/plane without getting extremely queasy. Will I be able to read on the ship??? I love to sit by the pool with a book. I plan on taking bonine which usually helps but I've never tried to read while taking it.

What do you all think?

I am like you. I get motion sickness in a car. I cannot go on any type of ride at an amusement park (including the merry go round). I was very nervous about getting seasick.

I too Bonnine every single day (I started taking it two days before the cruise). I also bought sea bands and wore them every single day!!!!

I never got sick, I never felt that I was going to be sick. We had a wonderful time. You can always ask your doctor about the patch.

There's no way I can read in a moving car or train, but I do read on planes and ships with no problem whatsoever. On the ship, there's just not that moving sensation you feel in a car, and you don't see the scenery rushing by as in a car. Take your book. Enjoy!:)

Just talking about reading while in a car makes me feel motion sickness! But, not on a ship, especially not while on deck.

I take my bonine at night so any side effects (drowsy) will be during the time I'm asleep. Of course, there's nothing wrong with falling asleep while reading a book on deck, right? Just make sure you have plenty of sunscreen on.

My husband cannot read in a car, or in a plane when it is taxiing (is that even a word?), but can read on a ship. He also takes Bonine at night, starting a day or two before the cruise.

Thanks for the replies!!!:) I am bringing a book!!!! YEA!! and I'm glad to hear that some of you that normally suffer from motion sickness were not affected on the ship! Bonine is my BEST friend.........I never travel without it. I plan on taking it a day or 2 before the cruise and every night on the cruise, whether I feel I need it or not. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great idea of taking it at night.

We didn't think that we'd have a problem with motion sickness so didn't prepare for it on our first cruise. Now, as we prepare for our second, we are somewhat worried about it as we have many sea days on open sea. For sure we will be bringing the bonine along.

When you take it at night do you take the full dose then? On the first cruise we took it only when we were feeling the effects of motion sickness and only took a partial dose so that we didn't sleep the cruise away.

Thanks for the help.

QUOTE=mnwildfan2]

When you take it at night do you take the full dose then? On the first cruise we took it only when we were feeling the effects of motion sickness and only took a partial dose so that we didn't sleep the cruise away.QUOTE

I just looked at my box of Bonine. It says take one to two per day. I always take one, and it works just fine.

Bonine is a 24 hour dose so I will take 1 pill each night. Long car rides make my kids sick so dd13 takes 1 pill and my dd's 9 & 11 take 1/2 pill although I might have them take a whole pill for the cruise......again better safe than sorry.

I have never gotten drowsy with bonine ~ and I do drink alcohol with it. (sometimes :D )

Everyone have a great cruise!!

I am so sensitive in the car, I hate to fly, and thought I could NEVER cruise! I took Bonine (1 pill) two nights before we cruised the first time and every night on the cruise. I was fine and read a book out on the balcony every morning. What I didn't know to do was to continue my routine when we arrived home! We live in San Diego, the home port of our first cruise, and I was SO sick the day after! So, I recommend taking it for one or two days after if you are really sensitive like me! No drowsiness because it is night time! I slept like a baby! (was it the Bonine or the calming rocking of the ocean? Either way, it was wonderful!) Hope this helps!

Bonine is a 24 hour dose so I will take 1 pill each night. Long car rides make my kids sick so dd13 takes 1 pill and my dd's 9 & 11 take 1/2 pill although I might have them take a whole pill for the cruise......again better safe than sorry.

I have never gotten drowsy with bonine ~ and I do drink alcohol with it. (sometimes :D )

Everyone have a great cruise!!

What is BONINE and where do you get it? :confused:

Save yourself a whole bunch of money by not buying Bonine. Bonine costs around $6-$8 for 8 pills. If you read the label you will find that the chemical name for the drug is Meclizine HCL. You can buy the same strength Meclizine HCL tablet at any drug store, Target, Walmart, Costco, etc. without a prescription for a whole lot less money. The cheapest I have seen it is a Costco where you can buy 100 tablets of the generic Bonine for $5.. Big difference in price and there is no difference in the pills... The pills have a 3 year shelf life...

I get terribly motion-sick if I read while travelling in car, bus, etc. Same thing with the train last summer. But I have no problem with the motion on the ocean. We had major swells leaving San Juan once but I got myself a ginger ale and was ok. In fact, I don't even bother bringing the bonine, etc. with on the ship. But I might with the next cruise as I heard it can get mightly rough crossing the Pacific to Hawaii.

BTW, my first cruise was just two weeks after a major earthquake (talk about motion). The rocking of the ship was nothing compared to being in aftershocks all day long.

Archived