Feelings on booking another Carnival cruise.

saturnsc

Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?  

915 members have voted

1. 1. Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?

• Yes
    • No

Everyone here will say no. That it's a freak accident and things happen. Getting into a car accident didn't stop them from driving and blah blah blah.

Good luck getting someone to say they're cancelling.

Probably because that is factual. I wouldn't never stay at a Marriott again if one Marriott burned down. I wouldn't never fly again because there have been horrific plane crashes. I wouldn't never eat chicken again because I got sick after I ate chicken at a dinner party.

So why would I stop cruising if there was a fire on board a cruise ship? That just doesn't make sense. Following that logic, none of us should ever leave our home again - oh wait, people have house fires that are absolutely devastating. So now what are we gonna do?

I am not being nasty, just trying to point out how ludicrous it is to cancel a planned cruise because there was a fire on the Triumph.

That said, there ARE people who will cancel and there are people who will probably never cruise again, or never cruise Carnival again, so I have been kind of hoping to see those price drops, too. :D

No way I would cancel. I'm hoping this will help to drive the prices down a bit so that I can book more cruises!

DW and I were just getting ready to book our two cruises for this year this weekend.

Now we will wait for all the overeacting crazies out there to cancel their booking and drive the prices down....

Just check the cruises we want for the next few weeks and see which way the booking winds blow and snatch a bargain...

Thanks to all those fine folks who will overreact like after the Splendour's fire a couple of year's ago.

How many fires and cruises with propulsion problems out of the thousands of cruises between these two events?

Bill

Probably because that is factual. I wouldn't never stay at a Marriott again if one Marriott burned down. I wouldn't never fly again because there have been horrific plane crashes. I wouldn't never eat chicken again because I got sick after I ate chicken at a dinner party.

So why would I stop cruising if there was a fire on board a cruise ship? That just doesn't make sense. Following that logic, none of us should ever leave our home again - oh wait, people have house fires that are absolutely devastating. So now what are we gonna do?

I am not being nasty, just trying to point out how ludicrous it is to cancel a planned cruise because there was a fire on the Triumph.

That said, there ARE people who will cancel and there are people who will probably never cruise again, or never cruise Carnival again, so I have been kind of hoping to see those price drops, too. :D

If this was an isolated incident I would tend to agree with you.

It would probably be a bit harder for you to continue to take that bite of chicken if you got sick after eating it more than once, no?

If one Marriott in LA burned down, and another Mariott in Miami burned down, you're not gonna at the very least pause and wonder what's going on?

Same goes for Carnival. The Splendor fire was terrible but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Then you find out the Costa sister ship made by the same company had a similar incident. And now we have what looks like the EXACT same situation on another Carnival ship. It's not normal no matter how anyone tries to spin it. Makes me feel their quality assurance standards are not up to par and safety is the most important thing above all, including cheap cruise fares.

Sadly, I have to say yes, and I have a cruise booked next month on the Elation. Normally I get irritated with folks who put down Carnival, but after the Splendor and now this - it's perfectly normal to question whether or not you should continue on with the line. I know accidents happen, but after the Splendor and now this - should we be concerned about the necessary maintenance on every Carnival ship? It's not an unfair question.

Sadly, I have to say yes, and I have a cruise booked next month on the Elation. Normally I get irritated with folks who put down Carnival, but after the Splendor and now this - it's perfectly normal to question whether or not you should continue on with the line. I know accidents happen, but after the Splendor and now this - should we be concerned about the necessary maintenance on every Carnival ship? It's not an unfair question.

Exactly.

If you don't want to cancel, that's fine and somewhat understandable. But if you're not at the very least a bit concerned, I personally find that strange.

I find it completely fascinating reading all the different point of views on this issue and Carnival in general. It goes to show you just how important perspective and personal experiences truly are. In going through this post and a few others I have heard every Brand put down and called everything under the sun.

I have been on 21 Cruises with RCCL/Carnival/NCL and I would book with any of them again. I personally prefer Carnival and think the deliver a good product at a much better price point, As would be expected with economies of scale they have become very efficient and do more with less. This shows with a market cap of 30 Billion. several times higher than RCCL & NCL.

Can they do better? Well yes and I hope they learn from this and improve on issues they find but I for one will hold final judgement until we know the facts.

People are speculating on many things and that serves no one.

With 30 years at sea as an officer in the Navy and with the facts on hand I think they are doing what they can to help the Triumph while at the same time keeping them safe. Sending ships to transfer thousands of people or using the lifeboats would be very dangerous and could get someone killed.

This may be appropriate when the ship is sinking or having a major emergency but not in this situation.... Not even close... The people that bring these issues up have no understanding of Ship Systems or the Sea but thank god Carnival and the Capetian of the Triumph do.

Jeremy H.

Retired Captain

US Navy

What's also amazing is that some people on this thread who say they'd "never cruise Carnival again" have never cruised Carnival in the first place when you look at the cruises they've listed in their signatures. One person on this thread took like 10 cruises on different lines then says Carnival had 2 incidents recently so I'll never cruise with them.

Chances are those people weren't going to ever cruise Carnival no matter what happened or did not happen or what will happen in the future.

Quote:

See http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/us...it_ae_20130212 for latest news. I hope that Carnival cruisers have pocket flashlights.

Tom

image.php?u=576863&type=sigpic&dateline=1303356041

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Tom47&date=1-18-2013&text=First%20cruise%20thru%20Panama%20Canal&ship=Celebrity%20Century

Sept 95, Cruise West, Alaska Inside Passage

Ireland OAT hiking trip Sept 99

Sept 04, Vantage, River Navigator, Danube R.,Budapest to Black Sea

Switzerland rr trip, April 05

Ireland, July 2006

May 07, Vantage,River Navigator, Rhine-Danube,Amsterdam to Budapest

May 09, Vantage/Hurtigruten,MS Trollfjord, Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen, Norway, Flam train

Aug-Sep 10 Toronto-Vancouver, Canada and rtn VIA rail

Oct 2010-Celebrity Solstice, W. Caribbean,

June 2011, SS Badger, Mantiwoc,Wi. to Ludington,Mi.

Oct 2011, Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas, E. Mediterranean

March 2012, Celebrity Constellation, S. Caribbean

June-July 2012, Vantage MS Tolstoy, Moscow-St. Petersburg + Baltic extension

Various air/road trips, 48 states

Tom, Thanks for proving my point.

Think about it. After the problems with the Triumph and hopefully will look at the ships more carefully and not let this happen again. Especially the propulsion of all the ships. If they don't they are DUMB....

Since alot of people will not be booking with Carnival in the near future they may offer outstanding deals so I WOULD BOOK WITH THEM AGAIN.

Just make sure it is hopefully a newer ship and a good deal but only with a balcony.

If this was an isolated incident I would tend to agree with you.

It would probably be a bit harder for you to continue to take that bite of chicken if you got sick after eating it more than once, no?

If one Marriott in LA burned down, and another Mariott in Miami burned down, you're not gonna at the very least pause and wonder what's going on?

Same goes for Carnival. The Splendor fire was terrible but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Then you find out the Costa sister ship made by the same company had a similar incident. And now we have what looks like the EXACT same situation on another Carnival ship. It's not normal no matter how anyone tries to spin it. Makes me feel their quality assurance standards are not up to par and safety is the most important thing above all, including cheap cruise fares.

Yeah, if I had personally experienced these things, I might be more cautious; however, fire can happen anywhere and I don't see Carnival being to blame for those fires.

I do think you make a good point about where the priorities are versus where they should be!

No hesitance at all. I'm cruising with them again in a couple of weeks and am not worried one bit about the outcome of the cruise. I enjoy value for my money and Carnival has never disappointed me. My heart goes out to those people enduring hardship on the Triumph. It has disrupted their lives, and for many, may be the only vacation they have this year. That said, accidents happen, and Carnival is not the only line to experience them. Unfortunately, Triumph's accident happened in the worst position for the passengers, and they've endured 4 horrible days, trying to reach port. I am very sorry for those passengers, but I'm still cruising Carnival because I get the best cruise for my money.

Archived