Souvenirs - Good buys, Caribbean

Just made some cheese on toast for lunch and popped a generous splash of scotch bonnet west indian sauce on top. Now I must admit I am a bit of a chilli addict and being such a a chilli head I started thinking not long now until I'm on my caribbean cruise and I will definately be purchasing St Lucia hot sauce my absolute favourite - Scotch bonnet with a touch of mustard, yum!

So what would you look for in each port? What is a bargain? What isn't?

My purchase list so far is

St Lucia - Hot Sauce

Grenada - Nut Med, menthol and nutmeg oil for aches, pains, arthritis etc. I love this stuff, works an absolute treat.

I will also be topping up my spice cupboard, can't beat freshly grated nutmeg.

St Kitts - anything duty free or fake handbags and sunglasses!!

All hints, tips and ideas welcomed especially for local produce must buys :D

heres mine

barbados....a huge bag of cheese nik-naks from the grocery store (one in the terminal) called cheez stiks but are nik-naks and in a huge family size bag much bigger than the ones we have here (lasts all week)

st maarten...mcflurry from mcdonalds on back st....more twix/rolo/m&ms than you get would ever get in mcdonalds here...big chocolate hit

st kitts...6 pack of jamaican red stripe...my fave

margarita....pearls, dirt cheap and real, great prezzie for the girls back home....much brownie points

st lucia...spiced rum…what more can I say

antigua & st vincent... a sunhat plaited for you to size on the beach, fashioned out of palm leaves....I still have mine after 14 years not a dent in it

dominica...mangoes from the market....wow....will never forget the taste.....dribbling down my chin ($1 a bag)

Just made some cheese on toast for lunch and popped a generous splash of scotch bonnet west indian sauce on top. Now I must admit I am a bit of a chilli addict and being such a a chilli head I started thinking not long now until I'm on my caribbean cruise and I will definately be purchasing St Lucia hot sauce my absolute favourite - Scotch bonnet with a touch of mustard, yum!

So what would you look for in each port? What is a bargain? What isn't?

My purchase list so far is

St Lucia - Hot Sauce

Grenada - Nut Med, menthol and nutmeg oil for aches, pains, arthritis etc. I love this stuff, works an absolute treat.

I will also be topping up my spice cupboard, can't beat freshly grated nutmeg.

St Kitts - anything duty free or fake handbags and sunglasses!!

All hints, tips and ideas welcomed especially for local produce must buys :D

Have a look at the Sunny Caribee in Road Town, Tortola. They have some interesting sauces, herb concoctions.

http://sunnycaribbee.com/

Apart from that the rum is good value. We bought 2 x 1L Mount Gay rum in the duty free in Barbados Airport at 11US$ each - which we thought good value and avoided us having to pack it in our cases to get through security. It worked aout at just over £7 per bottle at the exchange rate we got before leaving so we were well pleased with that!

Love the reply Geomagot just the sort of feedback I was hoping for, will definately try the McFlurry and the mangoes. Pearls for the MIL might score me some brownie points for the first time ever and as for the spiced rum your right say no more :D

Thanks Kruzeeka - I will be looking out for interesting sauces, I'm sure I was in there the last time but that was 2 years ago so my memory needs a bit of jogging!! Great tip on the rum at the airport I will be definately taking that one up :D

• 2 weeks later...

This thread popping up again reminded me that we went to see Nena Sanchez's gallery in Curacao which I think is on your itinerary.

http://www.nenasanchez.com/accesories.html

It was really interesting and colourful - I got a mouse pad there (can't remember price - but not extortionate) which is a lovlely reminder of our holiday. Would make quite a nice gift too - for the right person. Don't think my DS would be impressed though!

This thread popping up again reminded me that we went to see Nena Sanchez's gallery in Curacao which I think is on your itinerary.

http://www.nenasanchez.com/accesories.html

It was really interesting and colourful - I got a mouse pad there (can't remember price - but not extortionate) which is a lovlely reminder of our holiday. Would make quite a nice gift too - for the right person. Don't think my DS would be impressed though!

Thanks kruzseeka I will pop in to this gallery sounds like I might just find a nice pressie for my friend :)

Archived