Help me choose which cruise to do

mill4023

The Dream appealed to me because of it being a larger newer ship, but Grand Cayman sounds better than Costa Maya.

I'm not really sure what everyone will want to do. We will definitely want one or two days to enjoy beaches. My wife and I really enjoyed snorkeling, but with the young kids, I'm not sure a snorkeling excursion would work out. So a port with decent snorkeling from the beach would be nice. We would also be interested in seeing ruins if we do a stop at one of the ports where that's possible. But we're really flexible.

There are a couple options for dates. Most likely either October 12, November 9, or Nov 23 (thanksgiving week).

With those dates you shouldn't have to sweat the hurricanes much.

I'll put links to the individual ports boards in here which are invaluable for ideas and reviews of tours and their operators.

Belize has 3 Mayan ruin sites for excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Costa Maya (from my research) has a smaller, but well reviewed Mayan site.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

Grand Cayman you could book a excursion on your own to Sting Ray City(the Carnival one usually involves a huge double decker boat, with 100+ people on board, versus the many highly reviewed private operators, who usually take 20-25 people on smaller boats.)

We now exclusively use Sting Ray Sailing for our past 2 stops in Grand Cayman (excellent service)after using a couple of other operators who were also good, just not as great as Sting Ray Sailing.

Most take you out to Sting Ray City, which is waist high water, to experience the Sting Rays.

Then they take you to one or two nearby, shallow reefs to snorkle. (10-20 foot deep water.

Then depending on how much time you have, most will drop you off at the gorgeous, 7 mile beach on the way back if you like.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

Cozumel is great for a beach day, because they have a beach club that caters to every kind of day.

Paradise Beach has lots of toys for kids and water sports.

Nachi Cocum is a quiet beach day for adults, with a 3 course meal and all you can drink non and alcoholic drinks for the daypass.

Plus they limit the amount of people each day to 100 which is important on busy days in Cozumel.

(If I don't have DW's day booked there within five minutes of booking any cruise to Cozumel I am a dead man walking)

Then there is Mr Sanchos and about 7 or 8 other beach clubs which all have something unique about their experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Roatan has some gorgeous beaches and a nice fake beach right where Carnival docks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

The Dream is newer, but we much preffered our experience on the Legend, as it is smaller and has a great passenger to space ratio. (just check reviews for favorite ship class in here and the Spirit class usually wins pretty handily)

Now if the big screen by the pool will appeal to your family or the newer waterpark with the kids, then that might be a deciding factor.

Hope this helps a little with whittling the decision down.

But either the Legend from Tampa for less $$$ to be spent on excursions, etc..

Or the Dream out of Port Canaveral, with their exceptional embarkation and debarkation and general ease of port facilities and the newer ship, in the middle of your $$$ ranking there.

We drive to our ports too and we will never drive to Fort Lauderdale again or try Miami, unless there was a cruise with an itinerary we were DYING to do.

Spent the first two days trying to recover from the drive...the one time we tried it.

I'm pretty sure that FLL or Miami are a little farther than a 2 hour drive past Tampa or Port Canaveral. (at least it sure felt like it after driving to the exit for Port Canaveral on I-95, then continuing on to Fort Lauderdale and Miami is past that)

Yeah just googled it. 212 miles and 3 hours and 15 minutes from Port Canaveral to Miami.

Have a great cruise whatever you choose.

Bill

With those dates you shouldn't have to sweat the hurricanes much.

I'll put links to the individual ports boards in here which are invaluable for ideas and reviews of tours and their operators.

Belize has 3 Mayan ruin sites for excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Costa Maya (from my research) has a smaller, but well reviewed Mayan site.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

Grand Cayman you could book a excursion on your own to Sting Ray City(the Carnival one usually involves a huge double decker boat, with 100+ people on board, versus the many highly reviewed private operators, who usually take 20-25 people on smaller boats.)

We now exclusively use Sting Ray Sailing for our past 2 stops in Grand Cayman (excellent service)after using a couple of other operators who were also good, just not as great as Sting Ray Sailing.

Most take you out to Sting Ray City, which is waist high water, to experience the Sting Rays.

Then they take you to one or two nearby, shallow reefs to snorkle. (10-20 foot deep water.

Then depending on how much time you have, most will drop you off at the gorgeous, 7 mile beach on the way back if you like.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

Cozumel is great for a beach day, because they have a beach club that caters to every kind of day.

Paradise Beach has lots of toys for kids and water sports.

Nachi Cocum is a quiet beach day for adults, with a 3 course meal and all you can drink non and alcoholic drinks for the daypass.

Plus they limit the amount of people each day to 100 which is important on busy days in Cozumel.

(If I don't have DW's day booked there within five minutes of booking any cruise to Cozumel I am a dead man walking)

Then there is Mr Sanchos and about 7 or 8 other beach clubs which all have something unique about their experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Roatan has some gorgeous beaches and a nice fake beach right where Carnival docks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

The Dream is newer, but we much preffered our experience on the Legend, as it is smaller and has a great passenger to space ratio. (just check reviews for favorite ship class in here and the Spirit class usually wins pretty handily)

Now if the big screen by the pool will appeal to your family or the newer waterpark with the kids, then that might be a deciding factor.

Hope this helps a little with whittling the decision down.

But either the Legend from Tampa for less $$$ to be spent on excursions, etc..

Or the Dream out of Port Canaveral, with their exceptional embarkation and debarkation and general ease of port facilities and the newer ship, in the middle of your $$$ ranking there.

We drive to our ports too and we will never drive to Fort Lauderdale again or try Miami, unless there was a cruise with an itinerary we were DYING to do.

Spent the first two days trying to recover from the drive...the one time we tried it.

Have a great cruise whatever you choose.

Bill

I agree almost :)

In Roatan Victor bodden tours is a must .This is what we do

http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

And with kids Mr Sanchos would be the way to go Nachi is nice but too quiet in my opinion

We did enjoy watching a movie by the pool on our princess cruise and better water slides would be a plus. But I also like what I've heard about the legend having more pools and fewer people.

As far as the ports, its so hard to choose. My wife and I really liked the Caribbean island atmosphere of the eastern ports we visited. I guess in afraid the Mexican and Central American ports won't have that same vibe. But since we've never been there, I really don't know.

Miami is a little more than 3 hours further for us, but according to google, it's only about 2 hours further than Tampa. We are coming from Charlotte, nc.

I have only been on one of the ships you listed (Carnival Legend) but if it was up to me and the price wasn't too much different......I would go on the Carnival Liberty that goes to Half Moon Cay. Half Moon Cay is absolutely gorgeous....you just can't even describe how beautiful the water is

I would save $2000 and go with Legend (saying that since I've not been on Breeze yet - 67 days and counting!)

I have been on that Legend Itinerary and love Roatan and Grand Cayman. $2000 is a big savings IMO and I loved the Legend!

As another poster said, you can't go wrong - all wonderful choices.

I agree Javamom - Breeze.. 67 days and counting ! We're going together Javamom! I've been on the Glory and the Liberty. Both have the 2.0 upgrades - so similar (smaller class ship) to the breeze - except Breeze has a few more points of the upgrades, ie., waterworks, ropes park,? Hasbro games, - few things like that... but Glory and Liberty - for being the middle of the pricing pack will definitly be great choices too! I love the Liberty. We went on prior to upgrades and after upgrades. Redecorated. Same as Glory - just decorated differently - same layout. Still has the new Guys Burger, Blue Iguana Tequila bar, and Red Frog .... etc... so if I were picking - (and after I do the Breeze I will have that in the vote - but if I were picking - not knowing if the Breeze is worth the extra $$ at this point.. I'd go on the Liberty over and over and over and over and just love HMC. That was my all time favorite port!!!! :)

I would do the Dream western.

We have done the Dream western and the Liberty eastern out of the cruises you listed. I loved them both, but I think the Dream itinerary would be better with kids. Roatan is AMAZING, my favourite port ever. Cozumel has so much to do. Costa Maya has a pool right there at the port, nice cheap pool day. Belize, well meh to me, but great snorkeling excursions and also cave tubing if that interests you. The Dream is also a closer drive for you.

Liberty Eastern is great too, but San Juan would probably be kind of boring with kids. But then again HMC and Grand Turk are both great inexpensive beach days. I don't know lol. Either one would be great.

I liked the Dream ship better than the Liberty, but if you're dying to try a Guy's burger, Dream doesn't have them but Liberty does.

I'm sure anything you choose would be great!

I would choose the Liberty because of HMC. We have gone several times this year and are going again in June. We all love the island, including our children and Grandchildren. Grand Turk is great with children-rent a golf cart tool around find a beach. Also they have the flow rider for the teens at Margharittaville(spelling?). San Juan wasn't the kids fav port but they still enjoyed it.

The liberty is our favorite carnival ship. Any cruise is fun,tho.

Of your choices, I have only sailed the Dream last August. It was awesome! Kids ages ranged from 7 to 15 and there was one thing or everyone. Slides were a huge hit as was Camp Carnival. The ship is beautiful and the cove balcony was amazing. However, we did the Eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral. This year we re taking the Splendor out of New York, but I really wanted the southern Caribbean on the breeze. But considering cost for all the other families we are going with, splendor won out.

Archived