Athens and Santorini tours ?

Hi Dreamgirl1957

Where we were dropped off last year was literally a straight walk up the road to the Acropolis. No deviation off the map given by the guide on the bus. The little train actually stops on the corner so, if you wanted, you could even hop on it there. The street you cross over to walk up to the Acropolis is full of cafes/ice cream shops etc.:)

Hi Dreamgirl1957

Where we were dropped off last year was literally a straight walk up the road to the Acropolis. No deviation off the map given by the guide on the bus. The little train actually stops on the corner so, if you wanted, you could even hop on it there. The street you cross over to walk up to the Acropolis is full of cafes/ice cream shops etc.:)

Thanks skioncruises !! So much help from everyone, dont think we can go far wrong now...lets hope! :rolleyes:

I think I would agree with Jules on this one - we had always gone independently on the Metro (perhaps 3 or 4 times) but for the first time last year we did the Thomson transfer (Athens on your Own) and really enjoyed the more relaxed approach - no worrying about the train to get back and leaving ridiculously early to make sure we were back in good time. We had far longer to wander and for cafes stops (there are some lovely ones in Plaka) and as Jules' friend said, it was very quick - much quicker than I had imagined. If you think the cost of this transfer is reasonable that's what I'd recommend you do - but I would say that it's worth doing your own thing once in the city rather than an excursion which dictates where you go and for how long. Much better to decide those things for yourself once you see what's on offer. The Metro is a very cheap but a far less convenient way of doing it.

Incidentally there is a HoHo bus service in Athens (you can pick it up where the Thomson transfer drops you) or there is also one which picks up at the port in Piraeus - so that's another option.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/greece/athens.htm#tourlandingposition

Thanks for the link kruz, hubby says def the "do it yourself" etc.. Its only £20pp so not bad and no stress about missing the ship as its not a late sailaway in Athens so always a bit worrying :eek::eek:

Big thnks again for all your help :D

Thanks Little Nell, ive printed your post off too, case will be heavy with all this paper !

Not sure what to do in Athens now, its the old saying , i used to be indesisive but know im not so sure........ :confused:

Trouble is im trying to keep the cost down but then again if your there its such a shame not to see these things.

We were thinking of doing the "Athens on your own" if we do can you see the Acropolis in the distance from the town?

Will have to do some googleing and see if i can get my head around it !!!

Jules , Spinalonga looks lovely and the whole tour sounds really nice especially as there would be time to stroll round Ag Nik after so think thats a def. :D

Just looking for the book now to see if can get it for Kindle ;)

Hi again! :) Oh yes! Whether you do the Thomson transfer or the HoHo you will be dropped/can get off very close to the Acropolis - which is the hill on which the Parthenon stands and it really dominates the city - you can't miss it. Once you get off the coach or HoHo in the area of Plaka you can literally walk all around the base of the Acropolis - and this is the area you need to be for your first visit imo. You can go up the Acroplois - as Nell says wonderful views and so iconic, then you can wander around Plaka - great atmosphere/cafes/culture. The Markets - local/tourist and flea markets are around Monastiraki which is also at the base of the Acropolis as well as the new Museum (although excellent perhaps save that for another time as there's loads to see in this area especially on a first visit to the city).

If you have time or are on the HoHo you can go a little further afield (Syntagma Square and the Parliament building are close by) but it really is the Acropolis and the areas around it's base which are the most fascinating and interesting to me and you should target first imo. We never tire of it.

Yes I'd recommend the tour to spinalonga too. Excellent - as others have said quiet when the ship's excursion first arrives which kind of adds to the atmosphere - it's really moving. The guide too brought the island to life and made it all the more fascinating. I'm sure I wouldn't have got half as much from the trip without her input. And although i'd read the book the island was so much more than I had imagined. Well worth it - and a good lunch too on a floating restaurant. Very nice!

Enjoy your planning. ;)

We took the bus into Athens, about 10 mins walk from port.

Another thought about Santorini - we had just missed a bus. There were taxis waiting so we gathered up another couple to share with us and I think the price was very similar to 4 people getting the bus. Plus we saved some time. Got bus back.

Walked down with the donkeys, no problem.

Enjoy!

We took the bus into Athens, about 10 mins walk from port.

Another thought about Santorini - we had just missed a bus. There were taxis waiting so we gathered up another couple to share with us and I think the price was very similar to 4 people getting the bus. Plus we saved some time. Got bus back.

Walked down with the donkeys, no problem.

Enjoy!

Clearly the donkeys must have had assertiveness training by 2012 then :D:D:D

Actually the problem wasn't so much the donkeys as the riders!

Archived