Very Poor Response and Customer Service From Carnival. Please read..

Arcticcat

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

they are probably right. Although fires can happen across the fleet it probably won't happen.

And, like the rest if you would read what it would take to do anything different then they did they probably would have. They didn't make the decisions they did without some thought. I think, if you take a look, that other cruise lines may have behaved in the same manner.

If you have the "correct" insurance you can cancel for any reason, if you didn't buy it then cruise, have a ball, and get over it.

And no, not a carnival cheerleader I sail equally on all cruise lines...value destination and price over cruise line.

This isn't bad customer service. This is the policy from Carnival's site and it was your responsibility to be aware of this for whatever reason you wanted to cancel:

What is the cruise cancellation policy?

Cruise Cancellation Policy:

Length of Cruise Days Prior to Sailing Departure Charge (Per Guest)

2, 3, 4, and 5 day cruises Up to 61 days None (except for Cruise-To-Nowhere and Early Saver Fares*)

60 to 46 days Deposit^

45 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

6 Day or longer cruises (Including Alaska and Hawaii)

Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 56 days Deposit

55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of total Fare

THIS IS WHAT TRIP INSURANCE IS FOR!

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

Sorry but you are well within the penalty phase of refunds. This is the contract you accepted when you booked. And again sorry but this is a Triumph issue. As for loyalty, you are trying to cancel both cruises! Where is the loyalty issue?

They certainly do not owe me compensation as nothing has happened to me (knock on wood). They need to, and will, compensate the passengers on the Triumph. Though I personally think they should dig really deep!

This isn't bad customer service. This is the policy from Carnival's site and it was your responsibility to be aware of this for whatever reason you wanted to cancel:

What is the cruise cancellation policy?

Cruise Cancellation Policy:

Length of Cruise Days Prior to Sailing Departure Charge (Per Guest)

2, 3, 4, and 5 day cruises Up to 61 days None (except for Cruise-To-Nowhere and Early Saver Fares*)

60 to 46 days Deposit^

45 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

6 Day or longer cruises (Including Alaska and Hawaii)

Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 56 days Deposit

55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of total Fare

Glad your happy with how they are treating fellow passengers.

I'm confused as to why you think you're entitled to a refund for cruises booked on other Carnival ships :confused:

Even if you purchased insurance, it wouldn't apply to this.

Ok, has no one turned on the TV? Carnival has left a boat stranded in the Gulf, being pulled by tugboats with no power (very limited) no A/C, people are crapping in bags, puking, floors are covered in sewage and urine, fist fights over food and hoarding. There is also a tent city on the deck.

Guess this is acceptable, enjoy your cruise.

Absurd to think it would be safe to transfer passengers from a ship with no power, not at anchor and tossing and rolling in the sea.

As bad as the situation is I think that that Carnival owes nothing to those wishing to cancel because they "feel" unsure. The only people that needed to be taken care of are those directly affected with the Triumph.

I thought of that too, but then I realized to do that they have to send a ship larger than Triumph and the only one readily available to do that would have been Magic, but she was in the middle of a seven day cruise. The only other size ships they could have sent was the Victory or another Conquest class ship, but it would have taken several days to get it back to port, emptied, restocked and out to the Triumph. This in addition to the fact that they'd have to cancel the vacation of an additional 3,000-5,000 people.

Then I read the NYT article where they interviewed the woman whom they were able to get off for medical needs. Her sister was supposed to go with her, but the seas were too rough and the woman barely made it off, after having to climb down a rope ladder.

I'm also booked for a cruise coming up soon (ten days I think), but I wouldn't expect CCL to allow me to cancel my cruise because another ship had issues. It's an unfortunate situation, but I think they've handled it the best they could, given the nature of the fire and damage.

How were you planning on getting to the port? Car? Plane? Train? Walk? All have significant risks of death. Do you know what the chances are of getting stranded on a disabled cruise ship? Over 15 million people cruise each year. Go ahead and take your cruise and have a great vacation!

Absurd to think it would be safe to transfer passengers from a ship with no power, not at anchor and tossing and rolling in the sea.

As bad as the situation is I think that that Carnival owes nothing to those wishing to cancel because they "feel" unsure. The only people that needed to be taken care of are those directly affected with the Triumph.

Absurd? They CAN anchor (manually), they tender all the time, transfer ship to ship! Wow must be lots of Carnival staff on here!!!

BTW when they offer a OBC to currently booked passengers, make sure you don't use it, as your not entitled to it LMAO

Ok, has no one turned on the TV? Carnival has left a boat stranded in the Gulf, being pulled by tugboats with no power (very limited) no A/C, people are crapping in bags, puking, floors are covered in sewage and urine, fist fights over food and hoarding. There is also a tent city on the deck.

Guess this is acceptable, enjoy your cruise.

Yeah, and while I am not discrediting the problems people are experiencing on the ship, the media LOVES to play up stories. They are trying to play this story up so it looks like all 5000 people on board can perish at any moment. Tragedy sells.

As far as the comparison of tendering to transferring an entire ships population from 1 ship to another, you, again like the news, are overlooking a couple of things. When tendering, you are not in the open ocean. You don't experience the movement like you do when tendering. Another thing to consider, when tendering the ship has some means to stabilize its movement. Whether that be thrusters or anchor. In the case of the Triumph, it has neither at its disposal.

Some peopel go through life so confident when they are wrong or have incomplete information....they are usually frequently dissapointed, and generally unhappy.

Wait a few hours till the pictures start coming in from the triumph. Then say that Carnival acted properly.

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called

I keep thinking back to the safety briefing I got the first time I went river rafting:

"The three safest places you can be today is 1. In the boat 2. In the boat 3. In the boat."

When you have a ship that has no propulsion and no stabilization, would you risk trying to move 3,000 passengers from one side to the other? Tendering can be scary enough on a working ship, much less one that's adrift.

As much as it sucks to be on there (and I would not trade places with any of them), from a risk management standpoint, the passengers are safer aboard the disabled ship than they are trying to leave it in open water. You think they're having a PR nightmare now, imagine what would happen in an accident during a rescue.

But everyone's an expert on the internet, so ***DIK?

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

Port tenders do not occur in the open ocean. While the conditions are absolutely miserable I'm sure, passengers lives were not in danger (the one who was was taken off the ship- in her interview it says she was supposed to have her sister come with her, but the coast guard deemed it too dangerous). Moving them to another ship would potentially put their lives in danger. Shelter in place is almost always the best option.

Archived