Very Poor Response and Customer Service From Carnival. Please read..

Arcticcat

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

I take it you don't Plan on Cruising anymore with any cruiseline?? Or do you Not think this could happen on any ship or Cruiseline?? just wondering....

They are in the gulf buddy not the open ocean.. And the waves are low..

Well I never went to check to see what the wave heights were today or yesterday or the day before.

But speaking from experience. My very first cruise. I was fine on the Atlantic but as soon as we hit the gulf I was very sea sick. So not sure what your statement is based on.

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

I get it. Bad customer service because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

Bring another ship out? Geez, how long do you think that would take? I can just see it now. 2 100,000 ton cruise ships banging into each other. You really want to do that?

Why do you think you should get compensation and for what?

I'm on the Freedom in a week and I can't wait.

And just how do you propose they transfer 3000 passengers safely?

This is easy. Just grab a pontoon boat, drive out to the middle of the ocean(150 miles from the shore I remember reading), drop the gangway and have them step on. Piece of cake. Forget the fact that with no power THE WIND alone was causing the ship to tilt and that there are waves of varying size going to be slapping the ship, the tender and the gangway while trying to offload passengers(some of which are elderly and small/young children).

Seems logical. Maybe if Bruce Willis was on board...

If you are loyal why would you want to cancel?

Ummm, the Gulf is open ocean. And while the waves may be "low," low is a relative term when you are talking a ship with no stabilizers (which I heard but don't know if it's true so take it with a grain of salt). Waves are waves and any can knock a boat/ship around to the point the boat becomes unstable.

I get you are uneasy. I would be too. Seems to me your options are to suck it up, go on the cruise, and try to have a good time or suck it up, cancel and lose your money. If you're that afraid, then losing the money probably isn't such a loss at all. But, as someone said, you can't live your life on "what if" some disaster happens otherwise you'd never walk out your front door. But then you'd be worrying about your roof collapsing on top of you. You are far more likely to get in a car crash than to have something like this happen on your cruise. But, again, you have to weigh your own priorities for yourself and decide what is right for you. Don't blame everyone else, both Carnival and the people here, because of YOUR fear. Own your fear and act accordingly.

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

As a 23 years servicemen ofthe US Navy, Sir i can tell you that it is dangerour trying to transfer people at sea.They are out in th middle of the gulf and you have not idea of what the sea state is out there. Why risk it and make the passagers even more upset and unsafe.

To begin with I read and watched News last night from all over that mentioned that the Swells were expected to be 4-8 feet. If you have cruised at a tender port before you will know that it is impossible to tender with those kind of waves. Ever tried to get into Grand Cayman?

I am not a Carnival Cheerleader, but the only thing they have done right with this latest incident is they have compensated those on board very nicely for the most part, and they are likely doing all they can to help those on board. All they can is not ideal of course, but not much else they can do.....

Except, Jerry Cahill needs to be put to task for what is happening with the Carnival brand right now. Many complaints about cutbacks, and continuous issues on ships like Destiny and now Triumph are not flattering. Concordia aside, CCL is taking a hit, and the best way you will be able to show your distaste with them is never again book on any of their Brands. This is an isolated incident and it happens to other lines, but the recent changes we have seen with Carnival has made us think again about where to spend our money if we have the resources to choose...

Love that statement "And the waves are low"

The roughest seas that I have ever experienced were in the Gulf of Mexico last February as the Carnival Magic banged and crashed it's way through 25 to 30 foots seas on it's way back to Galveston.

Everyone is correct in stating tenders at port is nothing like trying the same in open ocean.

As an ex crew member, back in the 90's I have personally witnessed dozens of rescues of Cuban and Haitian rafters out at sea, in the Gulf of Mexico. The pilot rescue boat would be lowered and sent out to collect the refugees.

And I will tell you without a doubt, extremely dangerous.

So much so, the US Coast Guard finally gave instruction, if we came across a raft but was not in danger of sinking, to leave rafters alone and instead radio in their location.

There is no way I would put any of my loved ones in this danger unless it was a matter of Life & Death. Not stinky poo smells...

Yes, horrible conditions and amazingly inconvenienced, but no one's life is in danger for them to do such a hazardous maneuver.

You seem to be scared and panicking about your cruises and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Carnival. It's your own personal problem and since Carnival has righfully denied you a refund you can either go on the cruises and have fun or stay home and lose the money. It's up to you. I'd hate to live my life on "what-if" scenarios and worrying all the time. Life is too short, live it to the fullest, and enjoy it!! I'll be sailing on the Valor this summer and I can't wait! This incident hasn't had any affect on my decision to cruise. I've never had any issues on any of my past cruises and I hope I never do but I understand that things happen and you should too. Have fun and at least TRY to enjoy your cruise.

If the OP's major point of concern is that there was not mid-ocean transfer to another ship, then I would contend that perhaps cruising is not for this person. This could happen on any ship, and has of many occaisions, we just hear about it when it is a cruise line. Unless the ship is in danger of sinking or there is fire, they do not transfer to another vesel.

No matter how many times I cruise I enjoy the vastness of the ocean and think about that the ship is just a spec, and that you are a long way from anything or anywhere.

Absurd? They CAN anchor (manually), they tender all the time, transfer ship to ship! Wow must be lots of Carnival staff on here!!!

BTW when they offer a OBC to currently booked passengers, make sure you don't use it, as your not entitled to it LMAO

Do you really think that they have an anchor that long, considering they were 150 miles out to sea?

Just something else to complain about. I wish all these whine babies would quit coming on here and starting all these stupid negative threads. It is what it is. There isn't anything anyone can do about it so zip it. All the facts can be gathered over the next few days and proper conclusions drawn.

Carnival is doing the best they can as are the poor people stuck on the ship. I feel their offer of compensation is more than fair. Will it erase what happened - no. But it really blows my mind as to what people want or expect them to do.

Why should they give you your money back because you're having cold feet? That is dumb. If you're really concerned for the people on board, then do them a favor and stay off the phone so people with legit concerns and questions about their loved ones that are stranded can get through.

And NO I DON"T WORK FOR CARNIVAL!!!!!!

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

Arcticcat,

Assume you have a hotel stay booked and a hotel in another city either catches fire or has an incident that causes it to make the headlines. Should your hotel allow you to violate your contract with them and cancel? Even if it's the same brand of hotel, I don't see it happening.

Assume you have flights booked on an airline when that airline or another airline has a plane crash. Should they allow you to cancel without penalty?

What if you buy milk at Walmart and someone in a distant city, or even your own city, gets mugged and injured while buying milk. Should Walmart refund your purchase?

I know you believe that if someone dies that happens to be taking a medicine that you are taking or have taken, that you are entitled to damages as well. :rolleyes:

You booked a relaxing back to back cruise on two ships that travel our oceans and expect that nothing will ever happen to any ship and if it does then you should be compensated.

I have information for you that you might not like; I was on Liberty during her first year of service and we experienced an engine failure. We were dead in the water for quite some time. It was very peaceful and even serene to hear only the sounds of the ocean. Since then we've sailed her four more times, but each time was without similar incidents. I never once thought to demand compensation for future cruises because of the fear that I might be stranded at sea. Statistically speaking, you'll be less likely to experience a similar incident in the near future simply because one has just occured, yet you feel you deserve something?

With no doubt whatsoever I can state emphatically that if I feared for my safety or for the safety of my family, no amount of compensation nor cancellation penalties would prevent me from cancelling my cruise. If you are genuine in your feelings I suggest that you simply fail to show up for your cruise and quit trying to be the loud noise that gets attention.

I think you are missing the point Arctifact is making. What is Carnival going to do for you if this happens on your cruise? You can see that there is really no back up plan for Carnival or the cruise industry in general. Maybe the industry has grown too quickly.

Personally, these companies seem more beholden to the stockholders than the passengers. If you blow it you should pay the piper like the rest of. So much defending the way CCL handled this, look at Costa for crying out loud. They have a problem and it needs to be fixed, I am not going to sail on some death trap.

Everyone has missed my point. The point is, I personally think Carnival could of done more to get those passengers off the boat. Whether it means tow it to the closest shore wher you can Tender to another cruise boat, or something else. If it was as simple as you can't transfer people from one boat to another than why didn't the CEO say the reasoning?

You guys make it sound like this is a first time. This isn't. The Splendor cost 40 million in litigation ect to Carnival.

For me Customer service is key. They do not seem to care about the passangers on that ship. If your wife or husband was involved in a fight over food or crapping in a bag or dealing with the drunks that is being reported by cnn, how would you feel. Way to many pro Carnival people here.... Carnival can do no wrong. And im sorry $500.00 for people who have missed income from not being at work ect ect is a drop in the bucket. Now jump on me again like the bullies you are....

The Gulf is over 8000 feet deep... You think they have 24000 feet of anchor chain? :rolleyes:

As for transferring 3000 pax in 4-6 foot seas and no stabilizers while the ship is listing slightly. It's not like changing vehicles at a rest stop, You don't know squat about the ocean or sailing do you?

Archived