Beware if You Drive to Florida to Cruise on RCI

kingsgirl

Well the only foreign plates we ever see here are Canada but the very bad drivers from Canada are from Quebec.

I know you are catching some heat for this comment, but I would be lying if I said I didn't agree. Certain people are known for being bad drivers in Florida. Those tend to be NY/NJ, Massachusetts, and Quebec....and as a former cop, I can say from experience there was usually a lot of attitude behind it. Sorry to my friends from those areas....but you know its true. ;)

This is incorrect.

The law is still on the books until revoked or declared void by a court.

The lack of enforcement by the police does not void the law. It just means they won't arrest you over it.

Have you never seen those books (ok, "websites", books is an archaic term, I know) that collect silly "laws still on the books" -- such as, illegal to ride a donkey down Main Street on a Sunday -- all across the USA and the world?

Laws are almost never revoked. They just atrophy from lack of prosecution...you can't worry about laws that aren't enforced, just because they're still in the law books. We'd never get anything done.

Have you never seen those books (ok, "websites", books is an archaic term, I know) that collect silly "laws still on the books" -- such as, illegal to ride a donkey down Main Street on a Sunday -- all across the USA and the world?

Laws are almost never revoked. They just atrophy from lack of prosecution...you can't worry about laws that aren't enforced, just because they're still in the law books. We'd never get anything done.

I don't think that applies. Those are for laws decades old and forgotten. This law is freshly minted and there is significant support to amend it from the get-go.

I know you are catching some heat for this comment, but I would be lying if I said I didn't agree. Certain people are known for being bad drivers in Florida. Those tend to be NY/NJ, Massachusetts, and Quebec....and as a former cop, I can say from experience there was usually a lot of attitude behind it. Sorry to my friends from those areas....but you know its true. ;)

ugh....I forgot about the NY/NJ drivers. You can spot them from a mile away. You must be in the keys (conch republic). You must hate us mainlanders heading down there.

I don't think that applies. Those are for laws decades old and forgotten. This law is freshly minted and there is significant support to amend it from the get-go.

Fair enough, but seems to me that's a significant argument for reason to ignore it until it is amended, not for the other side....

I'm ok with out of country tourists needing a special license in FL. Other countries do it so it so I'm not sure it is decided that it violates international law (which really has no teeth anyhow).

As a tourist, I wouldn't mind the international driving permit as much if it didn't expire after 1 year. It seems to me as a ripoff by the various car clubs around the world, since they are the one issuing it. And having one after my last trip, I must really say it's a ripoff. It explains in 9 languages Surname, First name, Place of birth, date of birth, place of normal residence. And there is a stamp on "B", as that is defined as a regular car.

As the IDP is not valid by itself, but you must have your regular driving permit with you, and there is no connection between the two, it wouldn't really help with translation in any way. If you need to see my basic information that will be in my passport.

For those curious, this is what it looks like:

idp2.jpg

As all european driver licenses specify the rights you have with pictures as well as the international known letter B, most of us should be ok in Florida :-)

Fair enough, but seems to me that's a significant argument for reason to ignore it until it is amended, not for the other side....

Well support needs to be maintained until it actually is amended... otherwise priorities have a way of shifting...

The major issue in the meantime is that an insurance company could try to weasel out of paying for an accident since, technically, an out-of-country driver isn't licensed to drive in FL without an IDP.

Well the only foreign plates we ever see here are Canada but the very bad drivers from Canada are from Quebec. We all dance in the streets when we see the car moving trucks arrive to drive the cars back up north.

What does this have to do with the new law? The only thing it requires is an IDP, which is nothing more than an English translation of your driver's license. The law does absolutely nothing for safety or traffic enforcement.

What does this have to do with the new law? The only thing it requires is an IDP, which is nothing more than an English translation of your driver's license. The law does absolutely nothing for safety or traffic enforcement.

It helps those who need to use it for some sort of identification (police officers). What is the problem with getting one in the first place.

Again.. this is fear mongering. I have a letter from my insurance company (I insisted) that states I am covered in Florida.

You people are arguing semantics. Move on please, and stop the fear mongering.

BTW, the cost is $25 here in Canada, plus the cost of 2 passport photos, and it's only available through the CAA (AAA equiv). That brings the total up to $45. And it's only good for a year. Poppycock

As all european driver licenses specify the rights you have with pictures as well as the international known letter B, most of us should be ok in Florida :-)

...except, you prove the point on the value of an IDP...the right to drive an ordinary automobile is NOT an "international known letter B".

Here in Ontario, most people have a "Class G", which is the "General" classification for an ordinary vehicle.

In Florida, an license to drive an ordinary vehicle is "Class E"

In New York, a license to drive an ordinary vehicle is "Class D"

Again.. this is fear mongering. I have a letter from my insurance company (I insisted) that states I am covered in Florida.

BTW, the cost is $25 here in Canada, plus the cost of 2 passport photos, and it's only available through the CAA (AAA equiv). That brings the total up to $45. And it's only good for a year. Poppycock

so what. Consider it an added expense for the cruise. It's not like they are wanting $250 for it, it's only $25

You accuse people of fear mongering but "insist" on covering yourself with a letter from your insurance company. :confused:

It helps those who need to use it for some sort of identification (police officers). What is the problem with getting one in the first place.

You have ranted about tourist safety records and when challenged as to its relevancy you change the subject.

You have also not addressed the points about how the author of the law and the governor admit the law is misworded and should be amended.

Maybe you just have an anti-tourist agenda and are in favor of anything that hassles foreigners.

Most are bad drivers. I see it on a daily basis where someone from out of the country (cough...cough...Canada) is going 30 in a 45 or on I95 going 20mph under the speed limit. That is just dangerous.

Wow. Just, wow. Some of you are going all out to foster international relations.

Around here, it's cars going 20mph under the speed limit on I-26, or stopping on a blind curve to look at the apple orchards, and it's usually someone from a peninsular state south of here (cough...cough).

...except, you prove the point on the value of an IDP...the right to drive an ordinary automobile is NOT an "international known letter B".

Here in Ontario, most people have a "Class G", which is the "General" classification for an ordinary vehicle.

In Florida, an license to drive an ordinary vehicle is "Class E"

In New York, a license to drive an ordinary vehicle is "Class D"

I stand corrected! Thanks for clearing it up. Even though many countries use the same system as europe, there are other systems. Even if a IDP (and one obtained in Florida, none the less :-)) uses B for regular passenger cars:

international-driving-permit.jpg

Either way, there was no problem renting a car with my license. For now. Will follow the development of this law and check again before my next trip.

A lot of arrogance on the part of our Florida friends, as if your lovely state is the only destination for visitors from north and south of our borders and other countries. Perhaps such attitudes is why we have had such a large influx of Canadians over the past few years in my state, we always have the welcome mat out. :D

Plus, not every car rented in the country is rented in Florida and not every rental car has special markings or plates.

I'm curious to know what the reason for the law is in the first place? I have my suspicions and it does not have anything to do with the state and local police not being fluent in French.

Folks have been traveling to the United States from other countries for years. When someone comes over and rents a car on vacation they might not be planning to spend their entire vacation in Florida. If someone arrives at JFK and takes an extended vacation are they supposed to read up on every state law on the books to make sure they are legal?

I'm curious to know what the reason for the law is in the first place? I have my suspicions and it does not have anything to do with the state and local police not being fluent in French.

Uh huh. Kind of like that pink stripe North Carolina wants to put on certain DLs.

Posted upthread.

The reason was to ensure Florida law enforcement was able to read foreign licenses. Thus the requirement for an English translated license or IDP. The legislature did not stop to consider that Canadian and British licenses are already in English.

The author of the law and the governor have both gone on record that the law needs to be amended.

Statement from DHSMV on International Driving Permits

During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.

It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm

A lot of arrogance on the part of our Florida friends, as if your lovely state is the only destination for visitors from north and south of our borders and other countries. Perhaps such attitudes is why we have had such a large influx of Canadians over the past few years in my state, we always have the welcome mat out. :D

It is not arrogance. It is a driving fact in Florida.

Slant it all you want, but people won't be hitting up MB in the winter regardless.

Archived