tipping question

DPJAF

i have read that some people give their stewart $20-$50 the first day of the cruise to insure excellent and prompt service the whole cruise. has anyone done this and does it work? also i know tips are included on our s&s card for everyone in our party. does anyone think $10/day for a child as too much?

I haven't tipped extra in the begining so can't help you with that. Never needed anything extra done.

Children make most of the mess so no I don't think it's too much.

sls

Although the cabin stewarD probably appreciates the up-front cash, I don't know how it could possibly improve the service. In all my cruises, the stewards have always done everything as perfectly as I could imagine, and always ready to do extra things if asked. I fail to see how anyone thinks bribing the steward gets them better service.:rolleyes:

No, $10 per day for a child is not too much.

It's sometimes a shock for families when they find out it's $10 per person, per day. I just figure it's part of cruising and we've always received good service so I leave the tips on the sail and sign. No more making sure we have cash for the envelopes; one less thing to think about.

i have read that some people give their stewart $20-$50 the first day of the cruise to insure excellent and prompt service the whole cruise. has anyone done this and does it work? also i know tips are included on our s&s card for everyone in our party. does anyone think $10/day for a child as too much?

I dont think 10.00 for a child is to much.. Children pay the same as adults for cruise fare (except of course if you want to get technical, and your child got a 3rd or 4th person rate) anyway, the way I see it if it costs the same as an adult, to take them on a cruise the tip should be the same as the amount as suggested for adults.

I always leave the suggested tips on my sign and sail card and then the night before we get off the ship we tip them an additional amount in cash.

We dont tip 20-50 what we do is if we need a special need such as a few extra towels or ice or lemons we leave a 5 or 10 with a note. Then if they keep it up each day we slip them a 10-20 everyother day or so. By the end of the week we usually give him 40-75 and then the last day we leave another 100. WE have been on four carnival cruises and have never not wanted to give them extra!! WE usually do the same for the wait staff. I always ask for special diet things like wheat rolls and a special diet dessert so we slip them 5-10 each night then give them a nice 100 dollar bill at the last dinner most of the time they are also worth more but that is all we budget in

With the special needs of my child we require certain EXTRAS - so I always give an extra $20 up front - just for the additional requests. If the requests are dealt with properly and promptly and the service is OUTSTANDING then I tip a little more in cash towards the end. This is on top of the auto tips. Then again I am asking for extras that most don't ask for. If you are just the run of the mill passenger who just needs an extra towel or something minor then I see no need to tip more. It really is up to you. Tipping to me is such a personal matter - as in how much more or less you decided to leave and how you give it.

No, I don't think $10 per day is too much for a child.

I have never tipped extra in the beginning of a cruise except when I've made a special request of our steward. There is absolutely NO guarantee that tipping in advance will get you good/better service. I prefer to wait until the end of the cruise, tip the recommended amount and add more when the service has been above and beyond.

Archived