I have three hours to debate OC vs. SOS (take a look)

We are trying to convince my college roommate and his wife to take them on a SOS 3 night cruise out of CC this Aug. I would be the six of us the two couples and two children both girls four and five. They have countered with Ocean City Maryland (which I am sure is very nice and all of that ho hum I want to cruise) the working budget for this trip is 2k and we can cruise and air for that as can they. Why cruise vs. Maryland?

Email excerpt:

Him:

“As far as the cruise goes - here's the thing. It's not entirely out of the question for us. However, the fact is that this particular cruise is the only one we have ever done - and it wasn't that great. To top that off, $2000 is kind of pricey for something we've already done. On top of that, Ellen's not entirely comfortable with the concept of baby dumping for the whole day. Katelyn's only 3... the umbilical is still connected. Plus, she's not hot on the idea that, once Katelyn goes to sleep at 8 or so, her night is over.

She's much more enthusiastic about something we can do together. If there's a hotel involved, perhaps it's a suite, or a bunch of connecting rooms, etc. - something where we can leave the kids sleeping but not be too far away. We looked briefly into Ocean City, MD - the main tourism website had some specials that would make the cruise look cheap.”

What do we say now to get them to get on the Sea?

As you can see we have also taken this cruise before on Majesty.

I am thinking OC with hotel and food and the 8hrs driving will be about the same or a negligible amount less no/yes?

We are looking for Pro’s and Con’s and they will be calling at 10 est. Help!

We are trying to convince my college roommate and his wife to take them on a SOS 3 night cruise out of CC this Aug.

Him:

“As far as the cruise goes - here's the thing. It's not entirely out of the question for us. However, the fact is that this particular cruise is the only one we have ever done - and it wasn't that great. To top that off, $2000 is kind of pricey for something we've already done. On top of that, Ellen's not entirely comfortable with the concept of baby dumping for the whole day. Katelyn's only 3... the umbilical is still connected. Plus, she's not hot on the idea that, once Katelyn goes to sleep at 8 or so, her night is over.

She's much more enthusiastic about something we can do together. If there's a hotel involved, perhaps it's a suite, or a bunch of connecting rooms, etc. - something where we can leave the kids sleeping but not be too far away. We looked briefly into Ocean City, MD - the main tourism website had some specials that would make the cruise look cheap.”

What do we say now to get them to get on the Sea?

As you can see we have also taken this cruise before on Majesty.

I am thinking OC with hotel and food and the 8hrs driving will be about the same or a negligible amount less no/yes?

We are looking for Pro’s and Con’s and they will be calling at 10 est. Help!

How long would you be in Ocean City?

A three night cruise just isn't a lot of time, you settle in and it's time to leave. Maybe Ocean City this year and plan for a longer cruise next year?

P.S. There was an excellent article in the Washington Post last Sunday about Ocean City.

Well DH, I think we should let the people also know that if we do this cruise we are looking to do a JS, thereby garnering for ourselves 2 C & A points, bringing our total to 4. Since we are cruising on Jewel in Dec, that would give us 5, bringing our status to Platinum. Therefore, when we book our Southern Carib. for 3/2007 we can get some more perks. Also, after having seen the TLC show about the refurb of Soverign, we are more interested in sailing on her.

So there it is folks. Can you help DH and I with our dilemma?

I guess Ocean city is better than camping in a tent, which is what they originally wanted to do. LOL

We will take a look a the newspaper, I think we would only be in OC for three days. two travel days on either end.

Yikes, then it's a toss up. The thought of having to convince anyone to go on a cruise is painful. Why don't they make it easy and say, "YES, we'd love to cruise with you guys!" :D

The article from the Post is too long to cut and paste here, if you click on the link you MAY have to register to read it. Here it is:

WP Article on Ocean City

I've been to OC and cruising with kids many times each. When kids are really young the flexability of having a one bedroom suite with kitchen and living room can be a lifesaver. The better cruise option might be one leaving from NYC to reduce the cost of the cruise, therefore being able to afford a longer cruise and eliminate hassles at the airport. The babysitting/kids programs are really quite wonderful. You won't be abandoning the kids in the program-they'll be having such a great time, the won't want to leave. Hope this is helpful.

I had looked at NYC and BOS but thry don't line up well with the week she has off and the seem to be more pricey. A good thought though.

We would also take the kids with us to the beach with us and use the program at night.

Which beach do you prefer? since you have been to both.

Thanks again

I just asked my sons who've been cruising since they were 3 and 5 yrs old. they both agree the cruise would be preferable. Ocean City's beach is crowded, and the surf can be rough. The Caribean beaches are much better for kids. Both my kids felt the time not on the beach is better spent on a cruise ship than in OC. OC is a city and in August-crowed!

I've been to OC....not real impressed...I was only there for 1 day..so probably didn't see everything...reminded me of Maryland's version of Daytona...party town great for spring break....etc....I think a cruise would have more options for the little ones.... If they aren't crazy about that itenerary how about a different cruise/itenerary??

Are you set on OC as your beach option?? Have you looked at the Delaware beaches like Rehoboth and Bethany? OC definitely has more of a Boardwalk and putt-putts and restaurants but the Delaware beaches are family friendly and you could drive down to OC for the entertainment. But the C & A credits are awfully hard to pass up! I love the Maryland and Delaware beaches and have been many times but the cruise would probably get my vote. Either way, enjoy!

Thank you to all who have responded and for your help. We are waiting for our friends to call so that we can make some decisions. I had also thought about the Delaware beaches, but I am not crazy about the drive. I would rather fly to a destination than drive. But we will see what our friends want to do. We will post our decision once we know.

Thanks again,

Veronica (VernRDH) and TheBeachBears(Jamie)

Good luck in deciding :D I've heard great things about OC!!!

However, I do tend to agree with the mom of the three year old, it does seem like a lot of extra work and very stressful!

Have fun planning and I hope you all enjoy your vacation :D

###

Considering that I live on the Eastern Shore, I have to say our beaches are GREAT. It is a really an inexpensive vacation for families, to a degree. Depends on when you go, as room rates can be high during the height of the season. As a kid, I would have done ANYTHING if my parents were taking me a cruise. I would have been so tickled to death. As it worked out, I took MY parents on a cruise when I got married and they loved it.

On a cruise, it is only considered "Baby dumping" if you look at it that way. The children groups are run by TRAINED people who not only "watch" but teach the children things. They have a blast !!! As far as the night being over when then baby goes to sleep, HEY, it would be the same in OC as on the ship.

I would do what someone else suggested, go out of NY and save the airfare and take a longer cruise. ;)

We will take a look a the newspaper, I think we would only be in OC for three days. two travel days on either end.

Four days of travel to spend 3 days ANYWHERE seems like too much to me!

Won't her night be over when the child is asleep no matter what? At least she has in cabin babysitting options on the ship.

I spent many happy childhood summers in OC but now I cruise!

Actually, I also love time at the beach. Just like my beaches to be in foreign ports. I live in FL so have beautiful ones very close by.

Again, I live in Ocean City and it IS a very family friendly city. There is plenty to do for people of ALL ages. Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy!

Happy Cruising and Beaching!!!

I absolutely agree the OC is family friendly and my original post should have said the Delaware beaches were ALSO family friendly. I took my kids to OC every summer for many years and we loved it. I was just offering the OP alternatives and hope I didn't offend.

Spoke with our friend last night at 10:45 ( and I was *almost* asleep). The dilemma on their part is:

It is a lot of money to spend on a short vacation, when it is something they have already done and didn't like. Kid has to be in bed by 8 or else she is a "monster" (his words, not mine). DH explained that since WE were booking the JS and would have a balcony, we could set the kids up in the cabin to sleep and the old folks could go out on the balcony, have a few drinks, maybe a snack from room service etc. Also suggested that they could have "alone time" (wink wink) and we would stay with the kids. Or that the boys could go do something and then the girls could, whatever. Still can't decide.

The beaches of the east coast are great-DH and I enjoy them very much. We may have neglected to mention that our friend will no go in the water unless it is in Florida or any point south, as the water in the Atlantic is "too cold". Of course, she is the same person who takes a solid 20 minute shower and 1.5 hours to get ready just to go to breakfast.

DH and I are thinking that we will take this cruise whether or not they want to go, and we told them so. TA has a cabin on hold for us until we make our final decision.............

decruisers,

So glad to see another Delaware person on the boards. We are in Seaford. What part are you from?

I agree about our beaches being great but there is just something about the Caribbean... Also isnt there in- cabin babysitting available on board so the night wouldnt have to end for mama when little one falls asleep? Probably wont find that in OC!! Have fun whatever you choose but I am voting for the cruise!! :)

Well since our friends can't make up their minds, we have decided to book the Soverign 3 night for 8/12-15. Booked JS 1074, anyone have pics since the refurb? If the friends decide to go then great, but if not then we will still have a good time. Our first JS and balcony, we do have a balcony on our upcoming Jewel in December. When we checked the RCI site today the JS price was $619 ea. for DH and I and $289 for DD. We figured this was cheaper than two cruises (in order to get two C & A credits) due to the cost of airfare. Also, we are going to see the Loyalty Ambassador to see about getting our shipboard credit for our upcoming Jewel cruise. Soverign will put us at 4 C&A points each-Jewel bumps us up to Platinum. So then when I am on Jewel I can book my Southern Carib.

So excited. Already filled out our pre-cruise documents. First time using our passports too.

Now to put another countdown clock in my signature.........

Thanks everyone for your input.

Anyone else cruising with us???

Archived