Underwhelmed with Whale Watching? Is it similar to Cape Cod?

Amy5000

Sorry to hijack this thread (really wish there was a PM function) but can you tell me what type of camera and lens you used to get this shot? I am going on an Alaskan cruise sometime this year and am worried about taking my DSLR on a small boat like that and it getting soaked. Thanks.

Also thanks to everyone for answering the OPs question b/c it helped me as well.

Hey Photog,

A Canon 50D set at high speed 6.3 fpd burst and a Canon 100-400mm IS lens, 640 ISO, set at 310mm, f/9.0, 1/1000th of a sec. I was sitting in the bow of the boat with my elbows on my knees until the whale breached. Kept my arms from getting tired. I moved up to a 7D to get 8 fps for last year's trip. I've been fortunate to not have any rain on our three trips out of Juneau, but I had a Storm Jacket rain sleeve and a couple of back ups just in case. I've you've got any other questions, hop on over to my trip review thread and I'll be glad to answer them: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447

L.J.

Sorry to hijack this thread (really wish there was a PM function) but can you tell me what type of camera and lens you used to get this shot? I am going on an Alaskan cruise sometime this year and am worried about taking my DSLR on a small boat like that and it getting soaked. Thanks.

Also thanks to everyone for answering the OPs question b/c it helped me as well.

Well, I was going to send you over to L.J. trip report so you read about his other adventures, but I see he's beat me to it. There you can read about him bringing his big fancy camera (my name for a DSLR) and "clipping" to the top of his kayak so he could take pictures while padding around Kachemak Bay. No joke! (He did have it stored in a "dry bag" though). Gave me a chuckle!

Well, I was going to send you over to L.J. trip report so you read about his other adventures, but I see he's beat me to it. There you can read about him bringing his big fancy camera (my name for a DSLR) and "clipping" to the top of his kayak so he could take pictures while padding around Kachemak Bay. No joke! (He did have it stored in a "dry bag" though). Gave me a chuckle!

Amy,

Go ahead and laugh:p. The first time I did that I think I took a whole three pictures. I was convinced I was going to drop my DSLR into Kenai Fjords, and then fall out of the kayak trying to save it.:rolleyes: Fortunately that did not happen! So I was a bit more adventerous the 2nd time around, but it was still VERY stressful:D - you can ask my poor wife!!!

On the other hand, I've buyiong a kayak from my parents so I can do more kayak photography - we'll see how it goes!

L.J.

Mell, Sydney Oz,

We have Humpbacks traveling North annually, having owned a small boat and being able to get close to these incredible creatures ( at no charge) including one go under our boat, is Overwhelming ,I assure you, take a whale watching tour in a smaller vessel, if you love wild life I am sure you will not regret it.

WalleyeLJ, thank you so much for sharing your photos. They are totally spectacular, and I really enjoyed seeing them.

I have to give all the credit to the whales. All the camera gear in the world means nothing without the moments to shoot! But those moments are SO worth being there for. If only I could "photograph" the sound of the whales breathing!

L.J.

Archived