RSVP MSC Divina 2.15.14

bradpole

I share this because I hope that someone from RSVP might speak to someone from Al & Chuck and perhaps get these issues resolved before February 15th with MSC. I am not a big drinker so not too worried for myself, but I am nervous about all the bad things I am hearing about the food.

Good food is one of the top reasons I go on a cruise. And the majority of reviews on CC seem to call out the food as one of the worse problems. If it walks like a duck, etc.

Also, I was looking forward to securing a Premium drinks package from MSC before the cruise to cover most all of the beer, liqur, wine by glass, coffee, room service, minibar, etc. I did not want to be 'nickled and dimed' by MSC as has been told by previous posters.

I got a response to this issue from RSVP (on the facebook page) that on charter ships packages such as these are re-tooled by the tour group. (RSVP) Well, I would like to know what the package options are and the pricing so as to budget that cost.

Also, packages by MSC could have been purchased beforehand which would have helped my pocketbook. Now I understand that the packages will be available after boarding and applied to my on board account.

Alan

Edited by Mister White

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone could shed some light as to where to go for transportation from our hotel in Fort Lauderdale to the port. We are staying at the Worthington. I emailed the Worthington, but they did not say much in return.

Thank you guys for all your help with our trip so far!

Mike

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone could shed some light as to where to go for transportation from our hotel in Fort Lauderdale to the port. We are staying at the Worthington. I emailed the Worthington, but they did not say much in return.

Thank you guys for all your help with our trip so far!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'll be staying at the Worthington 2/12-2/15 also, I've asked my TA to look into a shared van transfer. If he comes up with something, I'll be happy to share the ride, since it will be just me. I am meeting my cabin-mate at the cruise port that morning.

I'll let you know what I hear. Email me if you like. jbasham at gmail dot com.

Best,

Jeff

This shuttle service could be an option for you:

http://www.qualitylimoservice.com/default.aspx?pageid=1

Since your hotel is more than 3 miles, it seems that you will need to get a quote. They also require 2 or more for shuttles from the hotels to Miami cruise port, so maybe the others staying at the Worthington can travel with you. Otherwise, if you can get to FLL airport, they charge $15 one way to the Miami cruise port. Call them to see what they say.

We are using this service for roundtrip from FLL to the cruise port.

Beverage Packages

Whether it’s a frothy cappuccino or an icy margarita, there’s nothing better than enjoying your favorite beverage while at sea. In an effort to expedite bar service, we highly recommend choosing a drink voucher package once onboard. Please note that with drink vouchers, you order your drink, turn in your voucher, receive your drink, and walk away; there’s no need to sign anything – quick and easy from start to finish. For standard drink purchases, you’ll be required to sign a physical receipt at the end of each transaction.

Although beverage packages are not typically available on charter sailings, we have arranged with MSC to offer the following packages for purchase onboard:

Soft Drink Package ($30) – 14 soft drinks in cans and/or fruit juices. Vouchers can be redeemed at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar soda purchases.

Wine Package “Choose Seven of Ten” ($155) – 7 bottles of wine chosen from among 10 sommelier-suggested bottles.

Wine Package “Choose Ten of Fifteen” ($212) – 10 bottles of wine chosen from among 15 sommelier-suggested bottles.

Dinner Wine – 7 bottles ($85) – House-brand wine to accompany dinner.

Dinner Wine – 10 bottles ($120) – House-brand wine to accompany dinner.

Bottled Beer Package ($52) – 14 beers in 33cl bottle. Vouchers can be used at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar beer purchases.

Allegrissimo Escape – a carnet of 15 vouchers ($72), good for a glass of wine, a cocktail, a glass of draft beer, your favorite liquor, a non-alcoholic drink, or even a cone of Divina’s homemade ice cream. Vouchers can be redeemed at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar purchases.

Allegrissimo Classic Carnet ($44/day) – 15 vouchers per day for the entire length of your cruise. Good for wine by the glass, draft beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks, a wide range of cocktails, and ice cream. Vouchers can be redeemed at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar purchases.

Unless otherwise indicated, vouchers can be used in the main restaurant only. If vouchers are lost, they cannot be replaced. Also, unused vouchers have no cash value and cannot be returned for credit at the end of your cruise. Please note that unlimited consumption packages are unavailable on all charter sailings.

Although MSC’s website makes it appear as though you can “pre-book” a beverage package, don’t do this. Only packages purchased once onboard Divina will be honored.

Alcoholic Beverage Restrictions

Bottles of alcohol purchased in the ship’s stores or otherwise brought onboard cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be held for safekeeping and can be collected on the last day of the voyage. This prohibition includes bottles of wine and champagne, as well. Duty Free alcohol bought on board must be collected on the last day after 7:00pm in the Duty Free shop. Exceptions: any wine bought through the bars or restaurants may be consumed in your cabins. Also, any opened but unfinished wine bottles

Allegrissimo Classic Carnet ($44/day) – 15 vouchers per day for the entire length of your cruise. Good for wine by the glass, draft beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks, a wide range of cocktails, and ice cream. Vouchers can be redeemed at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar purchases.

If you do not use all 15 vouchers on a day, will they carry over to the next? I am interested in this package, but not sure if it will be useful on the days that we are in port.

Thanks!

If you do not use all 15 vouchers on a day, will they carry over to the next? I am interested in this package, but not sure if it will be useful on the days that we are in port.

Thanks!

The Allegrissimo package offered by MSC also includes items from the room service menu. That does not seem to be included in the package available to us.

But, the premium package offered by MSC is $57pd so at $44pd offered by RSVP the lower cost would offset any room service monies spent.

I hope that one could buy more than one package - like a soft drinks or wine package that could net you savings by what type of voucher you used.

As for carrying over vouchers - I don't know the answer to that. I don't see why you could not bank them. Unless they are on automatic self-destruct.

Edited by Mister White

Thanks!

Yes, I was told that you receive all 105 vouchers when you buy the package, and you can use them when and how you wish.

I like the packages that RSVP and MSC are offering. My main concern regarding drinks is whether the bars will be so overwhelmed that getting a drink will be either impossible at peak times or require a long wait. The description--basically pushing the use of vouchers to speed service--sounds like an attempt to speed service and avoid those problems. I was worried that the regular MSC drinks packages would cause even more demand and, therefore, more problems. The voucher system sounds like a good one. There are several that look good to me so I plan to sign get a couple and then get more, if needed.

I don't know how tips will work with the vouchers. When signing there is usually a place for a tip; maybe tips are automatically included in the voucher price (shared with all the bartenders?) or maybe cash tips are the way to go (I'll just bring a lot of ones).

I am not too thrilled with the idea of carrying vouchers and cash around on a ship; on RSVP and HAL it has been just so easy to have your cruise card on a lanyard and that's all you needed. And for parties I'd stick the card somewhere (sneaker, underwear ;) )

If slow bar service makes it necessary I guess I'd do it.

Are the Vouchers only to be used by the person who purchased them? Or, if I buy them, can I use a voucher to get a friends drink as well?

You can use them all at once to buy for everyone in the bar if you like! Just make sure I am there at the time! :D

Also, I would suggest getting one of those pouches on a neck-string that they sell for holding passports and licenses to carry your vouches in, especially when you are just wearing a swimsuit, underwear, or thong! :eek:

Beverage Packages

Allegrissimo Escape – a carnet of 15 vouchers ($72), good for a glass of wine, a cocktail, a glass of draft beer, your favorite liquor, a non-alcoholic drink, or even a cone of Divina’s homemade ice cream. Vouchers can be redeemed at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar purchases.

I keep wondering what the catch is here. It sounds like on the classic package you are given a stack of vouchers to last the full week. I could go in with a buddy and split the pack of them and drink for about $3 a drink and still end up saving money even if I didn't use all the vouchers. that seems too good to be true. Again... there has to be a catch LOL

Beverage Packages

Allegrissimo Classic Carnet ($44/day) – 15 vouchers per day for the entire length of your cruise. Good for wine by the glass, draft beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks, *****a wide range of cocktails*****, and ice cream. Vouchers can be redeemed at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar purchases.

a wide range of cocktails... there it is right there. It must just be well drinks and such. No call drinks or specialty ones. I wonder how one finds out what the allowed drinks are on the voucher list.

a wide range of cocktails... there it is right there. It must just be well drinks and such. No call drinks or specialty ones. I wonder how one finds out what the allowed drinks are on the voucher list.

You are not too far off in your suspicions. I had friends go on an MSC Cruise and all the bar menus had red dots on some items that indicated items not included in the drinks package. This includes most top shelf items, any decent single malt scotch (according to my friend) and alot of bottled beer and draft beers. I fear this may well be the case here. If you go online - you can find a few bar menu photos that show where items are ticked that are not included in the drinks package. And look at the drink prices too: Well drinks are around $6-8. Wines $12-15 a glass. Not cheap.

Also, previous posts on CC have indicated that there is a charge for coffee. This may have been changed in the NA market. Don't know. Also, there is a charge for room service items (except Cont. B'fast) Room service is not included in any package. Neither is mini-bar.

Both Room Service and mini bar are included in the premium drinks package offered by MSC. BTW: MSC premium drinks package is $57pd and the parallel offering from RSVP is $44pd. A pretty good deal - but still with limitations. I am going to get both the top end drinks package and the soda package. I am thankful that RSVP has worked hard with MSC to create drinks package options for us.

It would be nice to get a clearer understanding as to what there WILL be charges for (room service, coffee at dinner, etc.) I believe the onus for shedding light on these questions is on MSC. There have been some posts directly from MSC on this thread and others addressing problems such as these - but that was all before the repo to NA.

MSC is getting our money for these drinks and it would be nice for MSC to address the particulars of these drinks packages tooled specifically for this charter.

Edited by Mister White

Also, I would suggest getting one of those pouches on a neck-string that they sell for holding passports and licenses to carry your vouches in, especially when you are just wearing a swimsuit, underwear, or thong! :eek:

Or sarong! :D

Randle has confirmed that you get all 105 vouchers at the beginning of the cruise and you can use them in any way you wish -- all at once buying 105 guys a drink, or 1 at a time, for you or anyone you want to buy a drink for. Under these arrangements, I assume you could split them up between you and a friend with no problems.

$3 and change per drink is an awesome deal, and it doesn't appear too good to be true.

See you on board!

Jeff

You are not too far off in your suspicions. I had friends go on an MSC Cruise and all the bar menus had red dots on some items that indicated items not included in the drinks package. This includes most top shelf items, any decent single malt scotch (according to my friend) and alot of bottled beer and draft beers. I fear this may well be the case here. If you go online - you can find a few bar menu photos that show where items are ticked that are not included in the drinks package.

Here you can find copies of the Bar List that we saw when we had a tour of the Divina last December: http://www.gaycruisepictures.com/divinabarlist/divinabar.html

The red * indicates drinks not included in the regular Allegrissimo Classic package. I would assume it would apply to the RSVP packages too.

Also, previous posts on CC have indicated that there is a charge for coffee. This may have been changed in the NA market. Don't know.

In the MSC Q&A from the CEO of MSC on CC there is a question about being charged for water in the dining areas. He said in the North American market they will be tailoring operations for American passengers. Americans accept ice water in glasses, whereas European passengers are used to bottled water if they want water at the table. When the Divina was based in Europe they were tailoring things for that region.

I haven't heard specifically about coffee, but I'll post the message on the RSVP Cruisers forum where Randle is watching very closely.

Also, there is a charge for room service items (except Cont. B'fast) Room service is not included in any package. Neither is mini-bar.

The Allegrissimo Escape and Allegrissimo Classic packages include vouchers and the vouchers are good for mini-bar purchases, per Randle's post on RSVP Cruisers.

Best,

Jeff

While on the Divina tour in December I picked up a flyer of all the drinks packages on their regular cruises. Here is a comparison of the packages they are offering on our RSVP cruise (the offer more on a regular cruise):

RSVP:

Soft Drink Package ($30) – 14 soft drinks in cans and/or fruit juices. Vouchers can be redeemed at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar soda purchases.

MSC:

Soft Drink Package ($30) – 15 cans of your favorite soda.

RSVP:

Bottled Beer Package ($52) – 14 beers in 33cl bottle. Vouchers can be used at any bar or restaurant. They can also be used for in-stateroom minibar beer purchases.

MSC:

Draft Beer Package ($62) – 14 large glasse of your favorite draft beer.

RSVP:

MSC:

Allegrissimo Classic Carnet ($44/day) – Unlimited wine by the glass, draft beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks, a wide range of cocktails, and ice cream.

RSVP and MSC the same:

Main dining room only:

Wine Package “Choose Seven of Ten” ($155) – 7 bottles of wine chosen from among 10 sommelier-suggested bottles.

Wine Package “Choose Ten of Fifteen” ($212) – 10 bottles of wine chosen from among 15 sommelier-suggested bottles.

RSVP only:

Dinner Wine – 7 bottles ($85) – House-brand wine to accompany dinner.

Dinner Wine – 10 bottles ($120) – House-brand wine to accompany dinner.

Here is the MSC flyer:

Divina Beverage Packages 1.pdf

Divina Beverage Packages 2.pdf

Edited by Boytjie

I

The Allegrissimo Escape and Allegrissimo Classic packages include vouchers and the vouchers are good for mini-bar purchases, per Randle's post on RSVP Cruisers.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for your response. I thought that MSC offered unlimited minibar on their Allegrissimo package.

We had lunch in the Villa Rosa main dining room. We ate with those boarding the cruise that day with the difference hat we were served unlimited wine.

Attached are PDFs of the lunch menu:

Divina Lunch 1.pdf

Divina Lunch 2.pdf

Divina Dessert 1.pdf

Divina Dessert 2.pdf

There were no bad dishes and some were very good. The general consensus was that the Tiramisu (part of the Trio of Sweet Italian Temptations) was outstanding!

MSC changed the crew complement for the Divina in the Caribbean replacing a lot of Europeans with Indonesian and other nationalities. They seem to be as friendly as the HAL crews but may not be quite as experienced. When we were seated asked about getting wine or drinks, the response was basically that " we do bread and water now". That said, when the crew found out we were going to be back on the RSVP charter, they all seamed very excited about it. A couple of months in the Caribbean before we get there will hopefully bring them up to speed.

Something that could be interesting is how they handle open seating vs. two fixed seatings. I am assuming that we will have open seating as that is what has become the regular way to have dinner on RSVP cruises and they currently have no experience with that.

I am booked and looking forward to this cruise! I am a little gun shy about traveling as a Single cruiser. However, I hear that the RSVP Experience is great and that for the most part it will be easy to meet people and make new friends..

I've been on 5 RSVP cruises and traveled solo on 3 of them. The group of guys you will meet on this cruise are exceptionally welcoming and friendly and I have made dozens of friends that I see on every East Coast Cruise of RSVP.

I will miss all you guys that I have gotten to know these past few years and welcomed me with open arms as I traveled solo, but I am just about to embark on a cruise that has been on my bucket list. SF-Hawaii. I need to support the cruise industry in placing cruises right of out SF and SF new cruise port opens later this year.

I know you guys are going to give the Divina staff the time of their lives too and they will respond to the way we party and live on an RSVP cruise very favorably like other cruise lines have. They are going to be shocked when theyrun out of some alcoholic beverages like every RSVP I have been on.

PS

The idea of voting for one of the themes of the party is a great idea. I hope it is Glow as that was a blast on the Atlantis cruise I did in November out of LA.

Edited by JonV
Theme Party Paragraph